View Full Version : Left hand or right hand?

Patrick
09-20-2000, 11:04 AM
Ok now I'm all confuzzled. Here is how I do it. I hold the rod above the reel with my left hand and my right hand is on the butt of the rod. And then I cast. I flip the bail over and the handle of my spinning reel is on the left hand side and I hold the rod with my right hand. (on conventionals, I can go either way ambidextrous I suppose)

Is this left or right handed? I'm so confused.

I didn't want to get a van staal because all the pictures I saw, had the handle on the right side. But at the new vanstaal site, all the handles are on the left side. Maybe in the pictures I saw, the developer flipped the negative so you get a mirror image.

Can someone define for me what fishing left handed is and fishing right handed is?

Patrick

Saltheart
09-21-2000, 01:17 PM
A right handed spinner has the crank on the left side. All the VS reels are for right handed fisherman.

schoolie monster
09-22-2000, 02:15 PM
Patrick, my only question is this:

When you fish spinning reels, is the reel under the rod or over the rod?

I've been fishing since I was born and I've never even put any thought into what your asking. Pick up the reel and if it feels natural, you'll be fine... if its awkward, well, its not fine. Keep it simple.

Patrick
09-22-2000, 04:53 PM
Schoolie, don't be silly. Of course it is under it.

Schoolie the reason I ask is some reels only make a right handed model like Van Staal and Abu 6500CS, two reels that I've been very interested in.

Patrick

Jamoesn
09-23-2000, 09:37 AM
I think abu makes a 6501 with the crank on the left side.

Patrick
09-23-2000, 02:23 PM
First, it doesn't really matter because I use conventionals either way. I prefer them on the right hand side.

Abu does make a bunch of 6501s. But I haven't seen a 6501 CS. I don't know if they make them.
Patrick