View Full Version : Striper Sushi

parker23
05-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Striper Sushi is fantastic. I just ate at least a pound of fresh bass on rice. May not be the best presentation, but the taste is exquisite.

Nebe
05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
striped bass at a sushi bar is called suzuki... go figure.

parker23
05-20-2007, 06:28 PM
I have had Suzuki (sea bass) sushi. The taste is very similar.
Fresh Stripa is very tasty. Had a few dark and stormy's, doz. oysters, striper sushi and a bottle of Melbac. Life is good!

Nebe
05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
mmm stormin darkies :drool:

rizzo
05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Last year Cowhunter taught me all the secrets of making your own striped bass sashimi along with black fish, fluke and tuna. Theres nothing better than staying up all night, catching a nice bass, and eating half a striper fillet raw for breakfest... Puts a whole different perspective to the value of a striped bass.

littlewing
05-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Rizzo,
fill in on the prep. Finally might get the wife into my hobbie if it means sushi!!!

Squid kids Dad
05-20-2007, 08:37 PM
GROSS...sorry..I like my fish cooked:huh:

spence
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
No point in making sushi if the presentation there :humpty:

Personally I'd trim the heck out of bass, I love striper but raw any red meat would make me gag.

Instead of nigiri sushi I'd make a ceviche.

But if you liked it...eat 'it up and enjoy :beat:

-spence

BMEUPSCOTTY
05-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Jeez, for the first time I have been considering wearing gloves to handle the bass because of some threads on here and you guys eat it raw?!? I consider myself a seafood lover and do love raw on the shell but never had the sack to try any kind of sushi.

Smokey14
05-21-2007, 04:36 AM
sorry guys, maybe I'm a bit out of date but to me raw fish of any kind is just bait.

parker23
05-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Spence,
The dark meat is not too strong. The bass is very mild and flavorful.
Has the same texture as torro fatty tuna. It melts in your mouth. I brought some for lunch, I may have to dig in a little early.

Nebe
05-21-2007, 06:23 AM
dont forget the cheeks next time.

Steve K
05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Raw fish will actually taste better a day after you catch it if you wrap your fillets in paper towels and then with saran wrap. Leave them in the refrigerator for a day and remove the paper towels. By doing this, you firm up the flesh. I learned this from living in Tokyo and from a friend of mine who is a sushi chef.

As far as the cheeks go, only tuna and the deep dwelling fish are prized for their cheek meat and their eyeballs.

2na
05-21-2007, 07:46 AM
The 'striped bass' you get in the sushi joints is a farmed striper - white bass hybrid. Not as good as the real thing, kinda bland. My sushi chefs told me that because stripers go from salt to fresh they are afraid that it has the cooties that can give you hepatitis (just like shellfish can if it is from a tiday estuary). They wouldn't touch the striper I brought in until they got to know me and believed that the fish I was getting were ocean fish.

IMO, the best piece is that little chunk at the base of the head, above where you start a fillet - can't let that go to waste! I keep soy and wasabi in my cooler, and that with a Ballantine - breakfast of champions. Betcha the cheek is fantastic too, Nebe.

PS - I'm a snob, no dark meat for me. Just the loin.

parker23
05-21-2007, 08:19 AM
The cheeks are delicious. Last week's fish had cheeks the size of the palm of my hand and ¾” thick. Quick saute w/ shallots,sherry and butter, fantastic. I usually simmer the carcass in a large stockpot and remove the rest of the meat. I strain the stock and freeze it for chowder base. I have 5lbs of body meat in the freezer that will be used for fish cakes/sticks or striper salad.

I am going to eat my Striper sushi for a late breakfast.

capecodder
05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Can anyone elaborate on how to prepare sashimi from a fresh caught striper? Is there a particular section that you cut from, a particular way of cutting?

Steve K
05-21-2007, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=ptmike;493313]The 'striped bass' you get in the sushi joints is a farmed striper - white bass hybrid.

This is not true in the places that I go.

Steve K
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Can anyone elaborate on how to prepare sashimi from a fresh caught striper? Is there a particular section that you cut from, a particular way of cutting?

There is a reason why it takes ten year to become a sushi chef in Japan. Cutting the fish properly is an art form. That being said, take your filet and cut it in half lengthwise. Trim any tough pieces and dark meat. Now cut slices against the grain with a very sharp knife about a quarter inch thick.

2na
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I stand corrected Steve - most places, especially in winter. When the commercial season is closed that's all that is available.

Adamfishes
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Striped-bass really taste good as sushi? I have gotten it from very reputible high class sushi joints and it tasted real rubbery. Yellowtail is my favorite:) I could eat that for every meal of the day!