View Full Version : Quit your job, go on welfare, but fish!

Slinger
05-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Last 2 days were some of the best I can remember in 40 yrs at this. On the fly fish from 26 to 32" on allmost every cast. When I couldn`t haul in anymore I grabbed the jigging rod and found the big girls deep. Had 15 fish from 15 to 20lbs on jigs. F*** the wife, kiss the kids and get out there, the next couple of days are gonna be slammin!
Slinger

scoobe
05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
The best year I had fishing was when I was unemployed! 4 or 5 nights out on the water in a row... ahhh. But then reality set in. Enjoy it while it lasts :)

Slinger
05-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Most people only say it jokeingly, but anyone who knows me will tell you. When work gets in the way of fishing, works gotta go! I'm living on my kids inheritance.
Slinger

JoeP
05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Most people only say it jokeingly, but anyone who knows me will tell you. When work gets in the way of fishing, works gotta go! I'm living on my kids inheritance.
Slinger

Nice - Great attitude Ya got there. I can only hope you are just telling a bad joke...:doh:

Roger
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Nice - Great attitude Ya got there. I can only hope you are just telling a bad joke...:doh:

I got to disagree with that and agree with Slinger's attitude. I know too many folks that work like crazy their whole life and don't enjoy much, only to die and leave it to their adult children that don't need it. I remind my parents that you can't take it with you - I'd rather see them enjoy what they have than get $$ when they pass.

GattaFish
05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
I got to disagree with that and agree with Slinger's attitude. I know too many folks that work like crazy their whole life and don't enjoy much, only to die and leave it to their adult children that don't need it. I remind my parents that you can't take it with you - I'd rather see them enjoy what they have than get $$ when they pass.

I have to agree with some of this too,,,, My Mom and Dad have never had much and ALWAYS put us kids before themselves,,, 3 out of 4 of us kids have very expensive college educations that my folks made happen with minimal student loans. We all have been lucky enough to find good jobs.

All of us always worked hard and helped parents with everything from building the house, barn and garage to feeding and raising cows and horses. Basic farm stuff, which if any of you know is hard work.

Still to this day they try to help us and offer money but none of us need it.

My Dad has had some health issues for the last couple years and has not been able to enjoy himself. Meanwhile he sits on some big $$$ land that he wont sell because he thinks the kids will need it later. All of us tell him and my mom to Sell it and go blow all the money traveling and enjoy what they never got a chance to do because of the sacrifices they made for ALL the kids. Chances are they never will.

Nebe
05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
family first. Work 2nd Fishing 3rd

I havent wet a line in 2 weeks. enjoy the fish, and if your lucky, your family will enjoy you. If not its going to be a long winter :hihi:

FishermanTim
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree as well. Your parents should be able to enjoy themselves in spite of having kids. That's not to say to ingore or neglect the kids, but to make time for themselves.
As for work, my theory is "You're either working to live of living to work" You decide which applies to yourself.
Me, I work to live, which means I make time to enjoy the benefits of life without abusing them (or preventing someone else from discovering them for themselves).

I took my mother over to Ireland a few years back to see her cousin and her cousin's family (she only remembered them when they were young children from years before). I think it's time for another visit before my mother is unable to make the trip. It's a win-win scenario, since I also love to visit the land of my grandparents.
(To further emphasize my point, I come from a family of 9 kids, and only 1 of my sisters has been overseas besides myself and my mom.
We're all in our 40's and 50's, and I can't see why they wouldn't want to learn more about where our family's roots came from.)

JoeP
05-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Geez - did you people actually read his quotes:

"Quit your job, go on welfare, but fish!"

"F*** the wife, kiss the kids and get out there"

"Most people only say it jokeingly, but anyone who knows me will tell you. When work gets in the way of fishing, works gotta go! I'm living on my kids inheritance."

That's the attitide I'm talking about.

I never meant not to find time to get out & fish & enjoy yourselves. Just don't do it to the detriment of your family and all of us taxpayers - welfare just to fish!!

How the heck do you think I find time to fish. Make & find time around the more important things - not in place of them.

Like Eben said - family 1st, work 2nd, fishing 3rd... It's called RESPONSIBILITY ... and its seriously lacking in this country nowadays!

Sluggoslinger
05-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Geez - did you people actually read his quotes:

"Quit your job, go on welfare, but fish!"

"F*** the wife, kiss the kids and get out there"

"Most people only say it jokeingly, but anyone who knows me will tell you. When work gets in the way of fishing, works gotta go! I'm living on my kids inheritance."

That's the attitide I'm talking about.

I never meant not to find time to get out & fish & enjoy yourselves. Just don't do it to the detriment of your family and all of us taxpayers - welfare just to fish!!

How the heck do you think I find time to fish. Make & find time around the more important things - not in place of them.

Like Eben said - family 1st, work 2nd, fishing 3rd... It's called RESPONSIBILITY ... and its seriously lacking in this country nowadays!

You can't talk sense into a bunch of plugaholics...

likwid
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Seconded.
As if we don't pay enough in taxes but a bunch of greedy retards need to go sit on welfare NOT CONTRIBUTING TO SOCIETY and fish? :doh:

Don't worry, karma will catch up.

MrHunters
05-22-2007, 01:45 PM
why does one have to be on welfare on a 2 day binge as described?

i've had plenty days like that and i've been paying my taxes every year since age 14.

live off your own money at the kids expense... i'll agree with that.
live off of MY money, and care less about finding a way to make ends meat for yourself, i have a few choice words for you that are not appropriate for this forum.

Rockport24
05-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I am so happy I moved closer to the water because now I can just get out there when I can without making it an all day or all-night affair. I can just sneak out after dinner or before work and my quality time with the family and my work don't suffer.

Bill L
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I think some people need a sense of humor :huh:

rockonjim9
05-22-2007, 09:17 PM
get a chance to deal w/people in end of life situtions all too freqently..yet to hear one that wanted to spend his last day working..dad dropped dead at 52...work....about #8

rockonjim9
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
oh...the queen of england can afford anything she'd want.... but i'm sure you know she frequently accepts gifts..it's called being GRACIOUS...try acting it out next time they offer money..older folks sometimes recall times when money was precious...a gift to be treasured..sure to bring joy..not one to bring a frown..or a gentle refusal..peace ..

fishpoopoo
05-23-2007, 06:31 AM
I think some people need a sense of humor :huh:

+1

i read the post as "they be here, git off your butt and fish."

Slingah
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
:hihi:

well said eben
but Ill have to say sometime wifey gets put on the backburner:bl2:
and ya can't pay the mortgage with fish...

ThrowingTimber
05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
+1

i read the post as "they be here, git off your butt and fish."

Agreed.

Gunpowder
05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Seconded.
As if we don't pay enough in taxes but a bunch of greedy retards need to go sit on welfare NOT CONTRIBUTING TO SOCIETY and fish? :doh:

Don't worry, karma will catch up.

always spoiling the fun huh? cmon im sure hes not reallllly serious. obv the fam comes first (welllll most of the time) but that doesnt mean hes just sittin back collecting from the government and not taking responsibly. i dont think its fair to make an accusation like that when u probably dont even kno the guy.

fishaholic18
05-23-2007, 09:42 PM

I did that gig for 20 or so years, what did it get me???? Won't get into that..
If I could do it over..It'd be the other way around..
Don't kid yourself..

Canalman
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Spending your kids inheritance is disgraceful... here's hoping you don;t hook another fish :yak5:

Nebe
05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I did that gig for 20 or so years, what did it get me???? Won't get into that..
If I could do it over..It'd be the other way around..
Don't kid yourself..

you didnt find the right person. canalman and myslef on the otherhand will always love you for ever. :love:

Reef Runner
05-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Known & fished w/Slinger for years, Stand Up Guy! Likes to stir the pot and it looks like it worked again. My ex used to ask me why I needed another fishing pole, I asked her why she had 37 pairs of shoes. Fish when you can and throw 'em all back, the kids will be fine and if they don't understand then YOU didn't take them with you enough!!

fishaholic18
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
canalman and myslef on the otherhand will always love you for ever. :love:

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif

fishaholic18
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
you didnt find the right person.
I meant, what working my a$$ off got me was 2 arm surgeries, bad knees and a f^%$#ed up back..So I'd fish first if I could do it over..Life is short..