View Full Version : Fish Id

Jackie O
08-05-2002, 01:42 PM
Is there a place on line where I can look at a picture of fish.
I caught a fish the other day and am not sure what it was.
Orange= looked a little like a cat fish - almost .Thanks - Jackie O

JohnR
08-05-2002, 01:45 PM
describe it some more...

Jackie O
08-05-2002, 02:20 PM
15 16 inches long -bright orange ish redish brownish I cant tell colors very well. Ugly -Lg head then slimmer as it went back - whisker like barbels (sp) rough skin - fins on sides and top Hit a tube and worm in about 15 feet of water down about 6-7 feet. Some have suggested a sea robin but Ive caught them before and this didnt have the roundish fins of a sea robin.Thanks Jackie O. I also caught a scup and fluke in the same area on a t and w

Fish_Eye
08-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Sounds like it could have been a sea raven.

Looks like this?

http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/images/august/searaven.jpg

They also come in bright orange.

Mike

MightyMouse
08-05-2002, 07:36 PM
that looks a lot like a stonefish. do we have anything like those nasty buggers up this far north? as far as I know, we don't have anything poisonous up here, but, of course, I could just be an idiot. Probably just hit it on the head. Oh well.

Jackie O
08-05-2002, 08:13 PM
my son said that was probably it it was just orange and did not have that fat of a belly.
Ihank you Jackie O

Slipknot
08-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Orange, makes me think it could be a sea robin.

STEVE IN MASS
08-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Didn't think they came this far north, but with the warm weather, warm water temperatures, and the reports of all kinds of strange fish being caught in areas they usually aren't......

Could it have been a Oyster Cracker, or what some (my grandfather and uncle included) not so affectionately call a "SollyGrowl"?....or even a StarGazer?

JohnR
08-06-2002, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't discount any fish from down south being up here now. We occasionally get the Mahi Mahi, Spanish Macs, and even the occasional Tarpon :D so anything is possible, now just send us some redfish too :drool:

MightyMouse
08-06-2002, 06:26 PM
TARPON? OH GREAT, ANOTHER EXCUSE TO WASTE MORE TIME AND MONEY ON FISH THAT JUST SLAP THERE TAILS AND WAVE B-BYE! :mad:

On second thought... maybe a better excuse to hone the chunking or flycasting skills :D