View Full Version : Transducer covered in weed.......

Scotch Bonnet
08-05-2002, 07:44 PM
OK, green horn question time. I had my boat bottom painted and my FF/transducer installed at the same time. I ASSumed they painted the transducer along with the bottom but evidently not. I have a nice leafy salad covering my transducer. How should I remove the growth without damaging the transducer? Then do I paint the entire thing?

JohnR
08-05-2002, 07:46 PM
If I remember, paint screws up the transducer. If you have a transom mount it should be fairly easy to keep clean...

Scotch Bonnet
08-05-2002, 08:00 PM
My neighbor paints his(maybe just the top and sides??), altough the fishfinder is working OK with the weed.

Bill L
08-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Chris, they sell little bottles of clear transducer paint. I used a can of ablative black spray paint for the motor bracket on my transducer this year, and it seems to be working fine. You definitely need to paint it for next year (or sooner). Until you do , make sure you keep it cleaned --- I spent more than a few minutes scraping barnicles from mine this spring from last year :smash:

Scotch Bonnet
08-05-2002, 08:08 PM
Bill, what did you scrape it with?

Bill L
08-05-2002, 08:41 PM
I had to use a flat head screwdriver (very carefully) on the tough stuff. Still had a tough time getting it clean. Put a few scrapes in the bracket -- I hate barnacles

Van
08-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Maybe just scrub it with a stiff brush and soap.
I used transducer paint from West marine. Its a small bottle with a brush in cap. I painted all the brackets around the transducer too.
Seems to work fine, so far.
I dont see any build up on the visible (top) portion of the transducer. It s a transom mount...