View Full Version : Prom Drinking

mrmacey
05-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Whats wrong with Some Parents?
My Job last night consisted of a Prom in Brookline I go to the pick up house and here come the kids with all the Parents taking pictures I have them sign the Prom agreement NO DRINKING zero tolerance they agree to my rules so before we even leave the house I lean in to show kids how to use the radio and kid nearest me reaks of booze and has a lemonade bottle in his hand I go right over to the dad and say hes been drinking and I want that bottle out of my car sure enough dad smells it and says yup this is not going with you so 1st warning 5 minutes later on Comm ave the same kid Humms a spring water bottle right at his friend just misses him and smacks me in the back of the head I ejected him right there and then for everyones saftey by the way these are 18 year olds so to me there not children I told him to take a cab well I get the rest of them to the Prom arguing with me all the way about putting partition up so girl calls her dad he begins to argue with me on the phone about being a hard ass I call the job right there and then all done well he didnt like that and said Im doing a charge back on my credit card I said Im getting the police involved and he says Get ready for this GO TO THE POLICE AND ILL HAVE THE KIDS SAY YOU TOUCHED MY DAUGHTER un f@#$%believable that came out of his mouth I called everyone I could think of Im going to police this morning filing a formal complaint I have Hotel security as a witness to how they were acting I called the Dean of school some times this job sucks no its not the job its the alcohol that causes all the problems and in this case the parents allowing the kids to drink just another story for the books.

fishpoopoo
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Mike,

Not worth the hassle or the liability dealing with drunk minors (boys and girls). Hard enough dealing with rowdy college students.

I don't know what the law says (IANAL ... but Mike P is) but I'm guessing you're acting in loco parentis when you've got unchaperoned minors in your car.

It's not just the drinking ... it's what could happen while they're drinking in your care. Like getting injured, killed, or knocked-up or infected with some nasty STD.

:skulz:

UserRemoved1
05-30-2007, 07:27 AM
dooshbag

I think you should post his name and let everyone call him.

ZERO TOLERANCE MEANS ZERO TOLERANCE

I would have done the same thing Mike. Cept I think I would have called the cops on the spot and asked them to meet you on the street corner...

fishsmith
05-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Get your $$, This guy won't want his name in the paper for having a a drunk kid at his house.
I'd steer clear of Prom jobs, They'll solve world peace before kids stop drinking at Proms. I brought my captain morgans in robotusin bottle.

Bronko
05-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I'd pro-rate the hours spent and the fuel consumed and come up with a figure. Call the father when cooler heads prevail and tell him what your fiscal losses are and why your zero tolerance rule is so important to the safety of the occupants AND your livelihood. Hint around as to what a mess this would have caused everybody if something would have happened..... and hope for the best. In my experience a court of equity would arrive at a solution in this fashion.

Raven
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
it's way to late for that... imo

mike as soon as you smelled the booze

you should have ended it right there and then!

instead you gave them the benefit of doubt

which isn't really zero tolerance...

its a maybe situation.

as far as the threat of fondling the daughter
thats so criminal it's outrageous and more deadly
than being shot....in the way that acusation could
alter your life... so take it all the way...

drinking and proms seems like a right of passage
and parents seem to go along with it because thats
what they did way back when...

truly sorry that your having to deal with this crap.
i hope my opinion was constructive criticism.

wheresmy50
05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I completely understand from a liability standpoint or professional policy that you don't want that in your limo. If I were you, I would call the police and tell them about the drinking and what the guy threatened you with. There's no call for that.

But what's all this nonsense about drinking at prom? The hypocricy is running deep. These days if your kid is sticking to alcohol and poontang, consider yourself lucky. A lot of highschoolers are into much worse.

Jimbo
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
It's very disturbing that parents or kids somehow believe in certain situations they do not have to abide by the law. I have chewed out parents before who tell me they know their kids drink so they let them have booze at parties at their houses because that way they know where the kids are. Stupid logic. If for not other reason than to get it off your chest, by all means go to the police. I doubt very much if you come in out of the blue (and out of concern) and relate what happened, that the police would believe for a second, any story to the contrary about unwanted touching. By letting the police know, I think it will help if the father with the credit card tries to stiff you. I'd like to echo what someone else said, and as the father of a 17 year old, thanks for acting in the manner you did.

FishermanTim
05-30-2007, 10:17 AM
With all the pressure to have a safe prom, why not go to a local news station and let them do an investigational piece on, say, parents that let their minors drink before the prom.
These parents must have missed the part of parenting that covers "good judgement" and "legal responsibilty".
I would have gotten the police involved IMMEDIATLY.
Does your company's "zero tolerance" policy have a disclaimer that states if the party breaches the "zero tolerance" agreement they will be ejected (or returned to point of origin) and charged for the fare as well? If not, then you may want to consider that. Sometimes the idea that they will still have to pay if THEY screw up hits them where it hurts most.... their wallets.

Gunpowder
05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
thats messed up. i was only in that situation a few years ago with my parents not letting anyone come over because of the huge liability of underage drinking. in fact, i didnt want anyone to come over because i knew how much my parents would be "snoopin" around to make sure that noone was getting smashed. instead, my buds and our dates went to a friends house and watched some movies and had some fun in a hot tub and then called it quits after about 3 am. a couple of kids had a few but nothin to the extent that they would be smelling of alcohol. prom is so overrated anyway. theres more anxiety build up before prom than the prom itself. i had a blast my senior year and there was no drinkin involved. god forbid i could actually remember my senior prom.

MAC
05-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Call the a paper and see if anyone wants to do a story. Might be right up a reporters alley with graduations happening now.

That would fix the moron of a father.

Rockport24
05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
yeah I gotta say, we did a little drinking after the prom, but never before!! my cousin just went to his prom and told me they actually give kids breathalizers if they suspect they are drunk, if they refuse they go home, if they blow anything at all, they go home.
I can't believe how many kids are drinking before the prom these days, they're all a bunch of punks!!

Jimbo
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
The problem Mr Macey experienced I think is just the reason our town cracked down hard on prom night. No kid can come in a limo, helicopter or other exotic vehicle. If you're going to the prom you're staying for the overnight "lock-in" or parents will pick-up and sign you out. Cops will be inside and patrolling the school ground outside. Bags will be checked and just a suspician of drugs or alcohol is all it takes and your folks get called. Doesn't sound like fun at all to me.
I grew up on L.I. and the drinking age was 18. Maybe because of that we never got into trouble, pulled over for DUI, etc. My folks gave me money for a tux/prom, but said if you don't want to go just do something with the money. It was a no-brainer, on prom night several of us piled into "Bresh's" old Comet and headed for Montauk for thw weekend. Did a couple charters, got seasick for the first time, hit the beach, hit the drive-in (Lipstick), still one of the most memorable times I had in high school. And no one got drunk.

wheresmy50
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
If you have a puppy that's always on a leash, the dog will head for the hills if it ever gets free. On the other hand, if your dog is used to being off it's leash, it will be perfectly behaved. When my dog was still alive, I'd let her out the front door and she would run to the backyard, do her business, and run back. People are a lot like dogs.

When I was in college, we loved when freshmen girls showed up who had overly-strick parents :drool: . I also personally witness a nice blond lass from the Cape who hadn't had a drink. . . until her 18th birthday at college when she drank the better part of a bottle of tequila. She lived - barely.

I'm glad these proms have breathalizers. It really sends the message that you are being treated as an adult and are expected to act like an adult.

Backbeach Jake
05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I think that Mac is right, put him in the news! Barring that give his address to someone like me who would just love to drive over and kick his nads to the moon. Here you are fighting to keep his kid safe and there he is willing to stigmatize HIS OWN DAUGHTER as a victim of sexual misconduct. What an absolute arsehole. You're a good man, Sir. Those folks have no idea how lucky they were...

Fishpart
05-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Mike, you did the right thing.

The laws today are pretty strict about providing Alcohol to minors, you stand to lose your business, especially with a parent who has already demonstrated they will do anything to save their own sorry skin...

Slingah
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
this is one f'd up deal.....put the richardhead in the news is right...
you got you share of stories MrMacey...God Bless Ya.

sok
05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
$500 fine for delivering or otherwise providing to minors.
Mass State Law.
(Waiting in line with my Wed evening Sammys. I needed something to read.)
Zero tolerance should mean ZERO tolerance.
"These are the rules. You will follow them. End of discussion."
Should have bounced their asses right from the get go.
Deposit forfeited. Thank you. Good luck.

Go to the police, absolutely.
CYA

sok
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
If you have a puppy that's always on a leash, the dog will head for the hills if it ever gets free. On the other hand, if your dog is used to being off it's leash, it will be perfectly behaved. When my dog was still alive, I'd let her out the front door and she would run to the backyard, do her business, and run back. People are a lot like dogs.

When I was in college, we loved when freshmen girls showed up who had overly-strick parents :drool: . I also personally witness a nice blond lass from the Cape who hadn't had a drink. . . until her 18th birthday at college when she drank the better part of a bottle of tequila. She lived - barely.

I'm glad these proms have breathalizers. It really sends the message that you are being treated as an adult and are expected to act like an adult.

Catholic school girls.
:drool:

NeedaKeepah
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
....will have to sneak his booze like I did, then get the same ass whoopin when he gets caught lol

mrmacey
06-01-2007, 04:08 AM
A formal complaint with Police, Called the school talked to the Dean, talked with head Marriott Security who witnessed this event. I am in the right on all counts. Thank God for having the Prom contract signed all his words are hear say bull$%&t The Police talked to the Father on the phone told him too stop yelling 3-4 times direct quote from police this guy is a #^&#^&#^&#^&! Here are the pics I took of the limo to show how they were acting remember I had them in the limo 20 minutes from start too finish. Suspected drinking,got assaulted with a bottle, arguing with me,threatning not too pay balance and the limo trashed not on my watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeedaKeepah
06-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Good for you. Next time drop the trash at the dump and not the prom. :jester:

Swimmer
06-02-2007, 11:21 AM
You dont strike me as the type to back down. I know I wouldn't. If he back charges the card take him to small claims. You can summon the officers who got involved at no expense to you because the municipality will pay them. You can summons ther dean also. You do charge extra for cleaning up thier mess right.

As far as the alcohol is concerned I dont believe anything can happen to you if they have it on them, because they are in back. But then thier is always the vicarious liabilty to be concerned with in knowingly letting minors drink in your vehicle even though a petition is in between and sometimes if not always closed.

OX
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
You dont strike me as the type to back down. I know I wouldn't. If he back charges the card take him to small claims. You can summon the officers who got involved at no expense to you because the municipality will pay them. You can summons ther dean also. You do charge extra for cleaning up thier mess right.

As far as the alcohol is concerned I dont believe anything can happen to you if they have it on them, because they are in back. But then thier is always the vicarious liabilty to be concerned with in knowingly letting minors drink in your vehicle even though a petition is in between and sometimes if not always closed.
No Small Claims.........go to District Court, and applly for Criminal complaint for theft of goods and services. Much more leverage. ??? Complaint for assault with deadly weapon.........water bottle.