View Full Version : Question for you pluggers...

Big Vern
08-06-2002, 09:14 AM
What's happenin' everybody?

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone here for your insight and tips as I have caught more large bass in the three months of fishing since I discovered this site than I have in the sum total of the rest of my life.

Secondly, as I grow tired of trolling and chunking during these slow months, I can't wait for some new experiences come September and the fall migration. Nauset Beach (As well as the whole stretch to Race Point) is one challenge I have planned for this timeframe. I have spent countless days at the beach surfing and kicking it, but I've never actually fished it. However, that will all change soon.

Now, I know I want to throw eels and plugs in the middle of the night, but I am a lowly boat and chunk guy and I will have to learn the ways of solid eel and plug slinging. Trolling and chunking with a baitrunner make it very obvious when you've got a hit. From what I know, feeling a strike is the subtle art that one must learn to become a successful plugger, and herein lies my question:

What does the hit feel like? What do you do when you feel the hit? Is there some big secret or is it just experience that will lead to more hook ups?

Slipknot
08-06-2002, 06:22 PM
For me, feeling a hit on a plug is so obvious. If it's any plug other than a popper, you pretty much hook up just by reeling tight and setting up or the fish hook themselves. On a popper you want to drop the rod a bit on a strike maybe stop reeling for a sec. till you feel the fish on.

With eels, sometimes they get very jumpy when a bass approaches them as they swim for dearlife. you know when a bass takes it and drop the rod, then set. Sometines freespool the reel or open the bail and let the bass run with the eel a bit , then setup and whack them good, unless you use a circle hook.

I would suggest you stick with mono at first, then after some experience maybetry braids.

likwid
08-06-2002, 07:10 PM
there are many skills to hone in these wonderful waters of our dear coast...

plugging can definitely be a fine art in the boulders along the beach in a small RIB or various such boats...

thats where i cut my teeth a long time ago along the elizabeth islands

alot of times you'll have a bass slam the hell outa the plug trying to stun it... definitely dropping the tip/stop reeling... if you don't get a pickup then slowly reel it back onto the surface (if its a sinker) and continue plugging... you just might have a fish follow it right to the boat... and *that* alone can be exciting

learning where to throw a plug is a whole other factor...
pretty much learn your area and what holds fish and when

i found along the elizabeths... early mornings along the buzzards bay side always held some decent fish between blues and bass... ocassionally picking up a keeper bass in the boulders...

mostly spots around Hadley's Harbor... off Weepeckets... the boulder fields around Quicks's Hole (matter of fact i have a big plug i need to photograph... i think it may have been someone on the list's who makes plugs... pulled it off the beach in Quicks's)

Not for the faint of heart is working the beaches in Robinson's Hole or Pigs off Cuttyhunk

I'd never reccomend anyone go into Pigs without someone who knows where they are... it can be far too dangerous to be worth it...

Cheers
Ted

p.s.: now thinking about getting rid of the mako and eyeing one of the new Surf Hunters... Boy those were great boats...

bassmaster
08-06-2002, 08:07 PM
:D

Jenn
08-06-2002, 11:03 PM
but I am a lowly boat and chunk guy

HA!HA! I have to laugh because I have gone (freshwater) on my friends boat a few times recently (and they are TOTALLY boat and I am 98% shore)...and even though I have fished from boats ........I feel I was taking some "shore habits" with me!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: which of course WAS brought to my attention...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What does the hit feel like? What do you do when you feel the hit? Is there some big secret or is it just experience that will lead to more hook ups?

I am not a veteran or a pro (but I am getting better) ...... I dont think even the most DETAILED description will do you any good .....get out and do it....experience and time will prove itself!!!! You have some kind of fishing under your belt already.....you will probably catch on quicker than you think! and when the time comes....throw out an invite....someone may take you up on the offer...and you might learn a thing or two and maybe even gain a new fishin partner!!!!!

Have fun....and enjoy the new experiences to come your way!