View Full Version : can i justify this

jim sylvester
05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
to the wife

" I'm going out and getting a boat because all the bunker is up in the bay, shore access difficult where they are...and that is where the big bass are.

home earlier because i don't have to spend six hours a night praying that there is a couple of quality fish on the rocky shoreline that have not noticed that all the bait is way up in the bay."

what do you think my shot is?

before you even type, that was my first thought as well

not a shot in hell

go ahead, amuse me with your thoughts

RIJIMMY
05-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Jim, been having the EXACT same conversation with my wife since last year. I really stressed that I will not be so exhausted all week since I wont be fishing all night. I actually got the answer I wanted, she said yes. the hard part now is trying to find a quality, reasonlably prioced boat that I can fsih with and put around the bay with the kids.

Its worth a shot.

RIJIMMY
05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I forgot to add.....life is REALLY friekin short.

johnny ducketts
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
huh,

I'm getting the i want a baby before we get a boat thing.
I'm using the excuse that a boat is gonna be alot cheaper than a kid, but maybe I should rephrase it, cause it doesn't seem to be working :)

fishpoopoo
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
boat = cash flow money pit.

taxes, insurance, storage, docking, maintenance, repairs.

and we haven't even gotten to the gas or towing expense.

i dunno, it's nice to have a boat, but i wonder if it makes more sense to charter or share gas expense with a friend who has a boat.

snake slinger
05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
jim i cant believe you would go to the dark side.

striperman36
05-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Buy a boat, you won't go back.
I find it worth every friggin cent I spend to get on the darn thing.
If I didn't have it I would be totally insaner.

Gunpowder
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
just go bringin home a boat one day. then she cant argue cause u wont be able to return it. take her shoppin a couple of times and ull be all set :humpty:

MAC
05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
just go bringin home a boat one day. then she cant argue cause u wont be able to return it. take her shoppin a couple of times and ull be all set :humpty:

I did that twice since I've been married. Once with a Harley and another time with a truck..............neither time went over well. But she eventually got over it.:whackin:

Gunpowder
05-30-2007, 04:10 PM
at least she got over it huh???!!!!

jim sylvester
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
jim i cant believe you would go to the dark side.

dear yoda, (aka snakeslinger)

i feel like start wars when i hear that saying " the dark side"

i hear ya, but it goes through my head alot

you got your big fish already this year...pressure's off..fish with a clear head for the rest of the season

go 3 days with el skunko, not even a hit, in three different parts of the state, when you know guys are getting fish in the mid 30's to 40

thank god i have no hair becasue i woud pull it out

the bay is jersey like last year, except they were on the beaches down there

we are reaping the benifits from the bill that passed in jersey with bunker banning

now if we can keep arc out of the bay, that would be unbelievable

Maybe I'm a little antsy right now.....gotta relax

snake slinger
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
jim just jokeing go buy the boat.boat+bay+pogies=cow bass

jim sylvester
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
jim just jokeing go buy the boat.boat+bay+pogies=cow bass

i hear ya ss

pm sent at ya

numbskull
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Just name the boat after her.

Finaddict
05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
You work hard ... buy the boat ... tell her it's for safety reasons ... that you don't want to spend so many nights on the rocks that it would be safer to fish from a boat ... that angle may work, also tell her you want to take her out on it ... :rollem:

Redsoxticket
05-30-2007, 04:46 PM
How about a large jet ski equiped with the necessary items like rod and tackle holders, live passive well. That would be so cool especially if you have a few fishing buddys with the same setup.

You and wife can also use the jet ski. I bet she says yes.

EricM
05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
its only money

FishermanTim
05-30-2007, 05:21 PM
"You can't spend it when you're dead, so i'm enjoying it now."
"Think of all the money we'll save on having to buy fish for dinner."
"You'll have as much fun on it as I will." (Provided you don't "forget" to ask her.)
Look, I named it after you."

spence
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
we are reaping the benifits from the bill that passed in jersey with bunker banning

now if we can keep arc out of the bay, that would be unbelievable
Perhaps that's the problem, the huge schools of menhaden are keeping the bass away from shore :hee:

-spence

RIJIMMY
05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Perhaps that's the problem, the huge schools of menhaden are keeping the bass away from shore :hee:

-spence

I agree with that.

jim sylvester
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM

-spence

good point spence

think you can skish in the bay without getting decapitated?

Slingah
05-30-2007, 06:09 PM

:bl2: ...always the voice of reason....:bl2:

jim sylvester
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
:bl2: ...always the voice of reason....:bl2:

I'ld be so excited about cow hunting i'ld spell her name wrong

eelman
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM

-spence

Nice thought but untrue, All my fish are coming in 4 to 8 foot of water right up tight to the beach in some cases 20 feet from the beach...The problem is the fish are so well fed during the day they wont eat at night or you may get a few here and there but once bass are on bunker like this tactics needs to change, try fishing daybreak with a danny or poping plug...if you want it bad enough do what I used to do..I had a tank in my truck and would snag bunker from the docks in wickford etc...and look at all the coves till I found them then liveline them at your favorite shore spot..there are no excuses only solutions...Right now its a daytime thing... And when its a nightime thing its still awesome in a boat!

fishaholic18
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
to the wife

" I'm going out and getting a boat because all the bunker is up in the bay, shore access difficult where they are...and that is where the big bass are.

home earlier because i don't have to spend six hours a night praying that there is a couple of quality fish on the rocky shoreline that have not noticed that all the bait is way up in the bay."

not a shot in hell

By the time you buy it, rig it and figure out how to use it...It'll be a night time gig anyways....Then she'll kill ya..:jester:

Tagger
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM

My Beotch

nightfighter
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
:soon:

ThrowingTimber
05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
mine is trying to get ME to buy one:D

Joe
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Don't do it Jim...I'd rather remember you the way you were.

Tagger
05-30-2007, 08:07 PM
mine is trying to get ME to buy one:D

If I had your money I'd burn mine ..:laughs:

Salty
05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Even a devorce, is cheaper than a kid.:laughs:

animal
05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey Jim,if you're serious,pm me.My boss is selling a 22 ft Key West cc w/the T-Top,and full electronics,livewell,150 Merc Optimax,and it's still got one year on the warrantee.If I had the $,it'd already be sold!:skulz:

Back Beach
05-31-2007, 04:38 AM
If you want consistent large, get the boat. If I live another 100 years and surf fish every one of them, I won't catch the quantity of 30-50# fish that I did in the boat in only a few seasons. What I used to get in the boat in one night now takes me a full season from the surf if I'm lucky. Get the boat Jim.

piemma
05-31-2007, 08:50 AM
to the wife

not a shot in hell

WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK I BOUGHT A BOAT!!!!

5 String Bass
05-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Budget the boat with something for HER. Whatever it is that makes her happy. If you both get something out of it, maybe you can sell it better- lol. Get her gift first, then a week later.... boat. "well you like your diamond, right??"
Nah, just kidding, get a killer boat! You'll need the extra $ for gas, insurance, etc. I think our spouses should want us to be happy. If you can swing it, do it!

RIROCKHOUND
05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK I BOUGHT A BOAT!!!!

Cause you got O=L=D :bshake: :tooth: :tooth:

Jim.
shop around, get something cheap enough and it wont be a big deal.
but don't underestimate the associated costs; new tackle, gas, maintenance, etc.. or she will get pissed later!

If you are looking local and want an opinion, let me know.

I Love boat fishing for some species, fluke, blackfish, tuna, shark, but I love, love, love the rocks at night... any 20 from my rock is more rewarding than a 30 from the boat to me... plus, working on the water 20-50hr/week for the last 11 years, it was a nice break. maybe after this summer I'll miss it an crave more boat time... we'll see...

piemma
05-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Cause you got O=L=D :bshake: :tooth: :tooth:

Jim.
shop around, get something cheap enough and it wont be a big deal.
but don't underestimate the associated costs; new tackle, gas, maintenance, etc.. or she will get pissed later!

If you are looking local and want an opinion, let me know.

I Love boat fishing for some species, fluke, blackfish, tuna, shark, but I love, love, love the rocks at night... any 20 from my rock is more rewarding than a 30 from the boat to me... plus, working on the water 20-50hr/week for the last 11 years, it was a nice break. maybe after this summer I'll miss it an crave more boat time... we'll see...

There is a grain of truth in what you stated. I am 59 but more importantly I have spent 40 seasons in the surf. 40 years of jumping rocks getting, smacked by waves and sand in my teeth. More nights than not for nothing. After you have put in 40 years at "The Ramp" I wager you will feel the same way.

Don't let anyone kid you, it's easier to catch fish in a boat but NOT less rewarding. The last 6 days I caught more 20 to 30# fish than I did in the last 5 years combined. I enjoyed every fight, every run and evey landing. I killed 2 of those fish because it's not important to kill fish. What is important to me is figuring out this new way to fish (for me anyway) and being successful at it.

Surf fishing is a young mans sport. If I didn't boat fish I'd probably hang it up...

RIROCKHOUND
05-31-2007, 09:34 AM
You're right of course,
It's not unrewarding in the boat, just more rewarding for me in the surf, for me.
It's also cheaper, more convenient and easier to fish every night in the surf than boat w/ my schedule..

Hey at 58 you were still rock hopping right there with me, so you know the old is just a crack :fishslap: besides.. somebody will have to teach you how to catch fluke once this bass run slows down :D

I'm definetly not anti-boat. Hell I have my ticket, I love being on the water... everything in life is to each his/hers own...

eelman
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
There is a grain of truth in what you stated. I am 59 but more importantly I have spent 40 seasons in the surf. 40 years of jumping rocks getting, smacked by waves and sand in my teeth. More nights than not for nothing. After you have put in 40 years at "The Ramp" I wager you will feel the same way.

Don't let anyone kid you, it's easier to catch fish in a boat but NOT less rewarding. The last 6 days I caught more 20 to 30# fish than I did in the last 5 years combined. I enjoyed every fight, every run and evey landing. I killed 2 of those fish because it's not important to kill fish. What is important to me is figuring out this new way to fish (for me anyway) and being successful at it.

Surf fishing is a young mans sport. If I didn't boat fish I'd probably hang it up...

I agree, rewarding? you bet it is, I have done both...no need to go down that road, at anyrate, a boat is pure enjoyment , it gets me places and shows me things the darkness of the night in the surf never did...but a fish is a fish and I feel rewarded both ways, sometimes the boat is more dificult and dangerous...but overall? I would never be without a boat again ever...I would quit first...If it makes you happy buy one....dont let these guys make boat fishing something bad cause it isnt...I was that way also but not anymore..If you get a boat you will love it ! and trust me eveyone who says they hate it will be asking to go out on it!

By the way...Mr. Canalman is on a "boat" this very minute slamming fish....The smile on his face this morning was not one a surf guy having to be dragged kicking and screaming..I bet his heart stopped at the site of those cows slamming those bunker......

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 09:40 AM
had a boat.....sold it when i built our home

Nebe
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Jim if i have room in the mako your welcome to come.. all i ask is you chip in for the 9 gallons an hour it burns and tell some good jokes :D

from my dock i can be at the mouth of the narrow river in 8 minutes :smokin:

piemma
05-31-2007, 09:45 AM
You're right of course,
It's not unrewarding in the boat, just more rewarding for me in the surf, for me.
It's also cheaper, more convenient and easier to fish every night in the surf than boat w/ my schedule..

Hey at 58 you were still rock hopping right there with me, so you know the old is just a crack :fishslap: besides.. somebody will have to teach you how to catch fluke once this bass run slows down :D

I'm definetly not anti-boat. Hell I have my ticket, I love being on the water... everything in life is to each his/hers own...

I know you were just giving me a hard time.

I hear so much of "it's easier to catch big fish in a boat" "boat fish don't count".
Billy is right, I was in the school of thought once myself. I now have a new respect for anyone who can consistently catch fish in a boat.
As for easier, after the run up the Bay this morning with 25knots in my face and a 2 to3 ft chop, I'd argue that point.

Raven
05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
to buy a boat....

because thats my only avenue ...with a permanently sprained ankle
its difficult to go stomping all over hell and back on shore
carrying so much gear....

but see, thats not the clincher... i know .... wah wah wah :bc:

it's when you've done that.... you make it all the way out there
and then you have complete ankle failure happen on your way back!
where you can't
bare any weight at all on your right foot.

what ya gonna do then... hop on sand all the way back?
crawl... ? i think not.

DZ
05-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Any "dyed in the wool" surfcaster would never get a boat.
If "catching" is more important than the satisfaction you get surfcasting then get a boat because you were probably never meant to be a true surfcaster. Give it some thought and make your decision. Here's hoping you stay a member of the very small dedicated group of casters who enjoy the most gratifying pastime of prowling around the shoreline.

Good luck.

DZ

JoeP
05-31-2007, 10:00 AM
to the wife

not a shot in hell

Jim - just remember this ('cause I've thought about it as well) - at least now we can fish mostly at night when the wife & kids are sleeping so as not to take away time spent with them, and it's still hard to find time with a busy family. THINK about how much time you'll have to use the boat when you try finding fishing time during the daylight hours mostly & spend time with your family & keep working your job to support your family...

piemma
05-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Jim - just remember this ('cause I've thought about it as well) - at least now we can fish mostly at night when the wife & kids are sleeping so as not to take away time spent with them, and it's still hard to find time with a busy family. THINK about how much time you'll have to use the boat when you try finding fishing time during the daylight hours mostly & spend time with your family & keep working your job to support your family...

I still fish in the dark. Now I run all over the Bay in the dark. My wife ddoesn't care. Joe, that's a cop out. What, you can't fish in the dark in a boat????

piemma
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM

DZ

Dennis, that is an assinine statement! You are being judgemental without knowing all the facts and it suprises me that you would say such a thing in writing.
Perhaps you consider yourself to be an elitist who "crawls the rock" I'd bet you dinner that I've crawled as many rocks as you, fished as many beaches as you and taken as many waves as you. No excuses here. I decided to get a boat to prolong my ability to pursue what I love best.....fishing!
Don't get sick my friend. You may find yourself in a boat.

DZ
05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Easy Paul - all in fun.

DZ

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
my dedication is catching fish , on shore or boat

fish4striper
05-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Take your family in the boat with you. Beats sitting home watching tv with them. Fish some, tube, waterski, fish some more, beach the boat, have a picnic, go for a swim, grabs some clams, daytime, sunrises, nighttime, sunsets. It's all good.

surf vs boat is all crap, its all fishing

ProfessorM
05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Get a cheap tin boat and see if you like it. They are easy to maintain and will get you into most spots and will not break the bank.

Nebe
05-31-2007, 10:26 AM

um. actually, the boat will give you and your family the possibilities of fishing together during the day as a family. What better way to pass on your love of fishing to your kids??? Not to mention the fact that you will be at home when your wife goes to bed which might lead to more...... :tooth:

RIROCKHOUND
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Nebe:
If Joe has any more kids he is never ever ever going to get to go fishing again.

Jim.
do what you want man, and do what you enjoy. I wont think less of you!

Like paul M said, after running a 14ft tin boat for research, I would upgrade my 13ft whaler to a 16ft tin w/ a good low emission 2 stroke if I could afford it. they are light, easy to trailer and not that expensive. Just get mark to keep borrowing Al's boat :D:D:D

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Nebe:
If Joe has any more kids he is never ever ever going to get to go fishing again.

Jim.
do what you want man, and do what you enjoy. I wont think less of you!

Like paul M said, after running a 14ft tin boat for research, I would upgrade my 13ft whaler to a 16ft tin w/ a good low emission 2 stroke if I could afford it. they are light, easy to trailer and not that expensive. Just get mark to keep borrowing Al's boat :D:D:D

exactly for the time

but thats what i would want ....a little bigger with center console\
tin, bump off the rocks..no damage

decksweeper
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Bryan,

That's the plan...!!! Al and I are actually both buying new houses and after things settle down a little we're going to upgrade that 14' Dory to 17' CC..

Jim, I'm good to go tomorrow night if you want. that 2.5 gal tank is full to the brim...

eelman
05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
If "catching" is more important than the satisfaction you get surfcasting then get a boat because you were probably never meant to be a true surfcaster. Give it some thought and make your decision. Here's hoping you stay a member of the very small dedicated group of casters who enjoy the most gratifying pastime of prowling around the shoreline.

Good luck.

DZ

Heard a bunch of things in my lifetime, but this BS takes the cake...write a dear abby column...Start a round circle and smoke the peacepipe of the dedicated bleeding heart mono a mono...me against the boat group...This whole thread was about something else...

I am happy with my boat, I am proud of the years I spent in the surf and certainly achevied every single goal I had...I am no less a fisherman because I own a boat I am however someone who now has a heck of alot more fish and an apreciation for a new way of fishing...

JoeP
05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
I still fish in the dark. Now I run all over the Bay in the dark. My wife ddoesn't care. Joe, that's a cop out. What, you can't fish in the dark in a boat????

You know what I mean - yeah there's still some night fishing but all of the current stuff (that Jim is talking about) is daytime fishing.

Big difference.

JoeP
05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
um. actually, the boat will give you and your family the possibilities of fishing together during the day as a family. What better way to pass on your love of fishing to your kids??? Not to mention the fact that you will be at home when your wife goes to bed which might lead to more...... :tooth:

Eben - I agree 1000%. The main reason I WILL get a boat someday is to use it mostly with my wife & kids.

But there's a big difference in the kind of "family fishing" versus "hard-core" fishing this thread is about.

I can't see my wife & kids sitting with me for 4 hours snagging pogies, livelining, ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g eels into rocks, etc. twice a week.

You're talking about recreational fishing - I think Jim meant more serious fishing.

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I think having a boat can serve two purposes

a fishing machine for me and a fishing/family activity for the family

JoeP
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM

And there's what you tell the wife...

Bishop169
05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
huh,

I'm getting the i want a baby before we get a boat thing.
I'm using the excuse that a boat is gonna be alot cheaper than a kid, but maybe I should rephrase it, cause it doesn't seem to be working :)

If the boats a rocking

A baby is knocking..

Just stress the together time tell her a boat would allow for you 2 to be together more (then the first time she’s out in it hit the highest waves and choppiest seas you can find) :cheers:

Rockport24
05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I can completely understand why you guys want to get boats, and I am a real newbie (only been at this for a few years). I think one day if I can afford it, I'll end up with one, I will probably start with a kayak though.
I gotta admit when big time surfcasters like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& go to a boat, it's kind of makes me as a younger surfcaster think that surfcasting is on the way out, but now I realize that he put in a ton of time in the surf and did very well for a long time, so whose to say that I can't acheive even a fraction of that success, which would be fine with me!
As you guys said, whatever makes you happy, that is what fishing is all about in the end.

JFigliuolo
05-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Some people like the destination... others enjoy the journey.

DZ
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
To be bashed by two of my good friends is hard to take – that hurts. Jim asked a question and I responded. I should know by now that opinions are often misunderstood when posted online. I apologize to those who took my statements the wrong way.

DZ

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Whoa guys, come on now

the last thing i wanted this thread to end up is the way its going

we are all fisherman, land or sea ( just so happens the sea is a lot more productive right now) and we all have one goal....to catch fish

didn't want this to end up being a pissing contest

piemma
05-31-2007, 12:18 PM

I have taken my kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews out in my boat. The serious eel/bunker fishing is nightime/ early morning alone.

RIJIMMY
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
DZ, you have some of the most thoughful posts out here and I always value your responses. I was pretty suprised when I read your response.

This should not be a pi$$ing contest. Fishing is fishing to me. When I do get a boat, I wont stop fishing the surf., but I'll fish the surf at the BEST times and ideal conditions. Now, I fish it all the time, even when I know there wont be anything around.

Since being back on teh east coast teh last 6 years, I never even thought about Narr. Bay. I only fished the So. Co. coast from Narr to Charlestown. Fishing with P23 and all of the pics and posts out here opened my eyes to how much water to cover there is and the opportunities for fish within the confines of the bay. I love targeting bass, but I would love to chase schools of blues all over the bay in Sept, on light tackle, I'd be i heaven. We all enjoy aspects of fishing, i do feel the elements of what we enjoy is the same, shore or boat.

eelman
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I can completely understand why you guys want to get boats, and I am a real newbie (only been at this for a few years). I think one day if I can afford it, I'll end up with one, I will probably start with a kayak though.
I gotta admit when big time surfcasters like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& go to a boat, it's kind of makes me as a younger surfcaster think that surfcasting is on the way out, but now I realize that he put in a ton of time in the surf and did very well for a long time, so whose to say that I can't acheive even a fraction of that success, which would be fine with me!
As you guys said, whatever makes you happy, that is what fishing is all about in the end.

This is a well thought out and well written post...Look, Surfcasting aint easy and yes you will catch more in a boat...a 30lber in the surf is a great acheviement...Its a lot of work ,time and effort...takes years ....I personally see no need to subject myself to that anymore, whats the point? Yes I love being under the stars etc...but now I do it from the other side in my boat alone on some remote Island where no one else is around...its different and its the same all at once..

Yes in my mind Surf fishing is a young mans game...it wears on you after many years, there is no way a 40 or 50 year old guy is going to be able to keep up with a 25 year old guy..I was there once fishing with older guys and now finally I know what they meant everytime they told me "what 2am? you go Bill, Go get em" call me and let me know how you did" And, I did go get them...I had my share for sure, but it takes a price on everything...Now with the boat I leave the dock at 4:30 Am, and I am back home by 8am with a couple nice fish, can do other stuff at night and during the day, My body thanks me for it, no cumbersome surf bags anymore, no waders, corkers etc..

I fully admit here, I am out of the surf game for good.let the younger guys go hit it hard everynight and I aplaud them for there efforts...Just dont knock a guy who was ready for a change or diminish what they accomplished in there Surf years..There is nothing wrong with having a boat and you only go around this way once! If it makes you happy do it!

As for Rockport, just put in your time and the fish will come!

eelman
05-31-2007, 03:31 PM
To be bashed by two of my good friends is hard to take – that hurts. Jim asked a question and I responded. I should know by now that opinions are often misunderstood when posted online. I apologize to those who took my statements the wrong way.

DZ

DZ, We all lose our heads now and then...No harm done..And I am glad to call you friend! Now would you like to come out on my boat?:rotf2: Anyway..Its all forgotton...

ProfessorM
05-31-2007, 03:33 PM
I totally agree I just don't have the stamina needed for serious shore fishing any more, or at least the way i used to fish. I prefer to be more comfortable and love being able to fish where others aren't.

GoFish
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
I bought a boat last year, and all it's doing is keeping me from fishing. I've spent more freakin' time and money trying to get this boat in-shape and launched than you can imagine. Bottom line, it's cost me most of my spring shore and kayak fishing time. Suppose it'll be nice if I ever get it in the water...

BTW.. It was my wife's idea to buy it.:doh:

ProfessorM
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Owning a boat is a love hate relationship for sure and helps if you are handy

Back Beach
05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Don't let anyone kid you, it's easier to catch fish in a boat but NOT less rewarding.

And the truth shall set you free.
Boats are a blast, you can catch multi species, and have unlimited freedom. I got rid of my boat primarily because of time restraints. The last year I owned the 17' key largo, I stared out my living room window at it too much. Eventually I couldn't justify owning it and not be in the thing 3-5 times per week.

shadow
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
jim it should only come down to one thing money,if you have it then spend it,I love the surf yet would buy a boat if I could there is nothing wrong with boating one day and hitting the surf 2 or three nights a week.If you can have the option to do both then way not?May is a good time to be in a boat in the bay lets hope june is a good time for the surf.

BassDawg
05-31-2007, 06:15 PM
WOW! Lots to be said on either side of this equation...............

However, DZ is right about his opinion.

So, also, is Bill.

What's important is that the fishing part remains. Boat or surf, to each his/her own..................yet, the two could not be further apart.

I'm 47 years young and have been fishing since I was about 6 yrs old.
This will be my second full season on the rocks, and I absolutely love the thrill of the hunt, the risk factor involved, the adreneline rush that comes with landing 20-30# fish from the surf (with eager anticipation and high aspirations to land that 50 from the rocks), and reading the water under the stars in the pitch of the night. I LOVE being out there, finding the bite, and feeling the tug of some BIG GURL (those would be the 4 that I lost last year due to poor positioning and inexperience) as she is trying to dislodge me from me rocks whilst I endeavor to wrest her from her seas.

DZ is right, and I'm sure that earlier on in your career Bill you thought "BOATS, Schmoats! This sheet is tha baaaallzzzzz!!!" Why is that? It's because they are two completely different types of fishing. The common denominator is fishing, but surfcasting is far more difficult. Hence the agreed upon idea that it is a "younger man's game". It is undoubtedly more taxing physically, it is more perilous from the rocks and sea perspective alone, and the reason it is tougher to catch large from the shore rather than a boat is the surfcaster does not have the Lowrance at his disposal or the added leverage of a boat, heavier gear, and a motor or two. In my view, the most pronounced contrast is that you've introduced the boat into the dynamic and given yourself a huge edge against our beloved prey. Surfcasters and boaters are both fishermen granted, but they are two entirely variant breeds. It doesn't make you any less of a fisherman, just a different kind of angler.

Mr Nolan, you are right as well. From your perspective it is definitely easier to cover more water in less time with the advantage of twin Mercs speeding one around The Bay and harbors. Looking from the sea to the shore, as opposed to the shore to the sea affords one a myriad of viewpoints and the accessability factor increases more rapidly and quite exponentially. You also have a much broader view. From the rocks I am limited to how far I can rockhop & cast/swim & cast. From a boat you can survey an entire area and prolly see the bait before it sees you? From a boat you can not only see for miles, and miles, and miles; but you can GET there and get there quickly! Less harm to the body, less stress from the rocks, and better opportunity for some 50's, 60's, 70's, eh mates? Not wrong or right, just different.

And this is where the more rewarding part comes in. Because the two styles of fishing are so diverse, and surfcasting is much harder for many reasons, that is why a 30#er from the surf is a "great achievement" as you said Bill, and more the norm from a boat. It is more commonplace than rare, expected rather than "achieved" everytime you fuel that fiberglass up isn't it?. Could this be why OTW, in its Striper Cup, adds a weight differential to its surf division? Is it fair to say that a "great achievement" from a boat would be a 40#er and up?:cheers:

Please don't misunderstand me, both types of fishing are equally rewarding in their own rights, but both are extremely different and that's what separates those that fish from a boat and those of us that (at least for now) subscribe to the philosophies like:

"I wouldn't be caught dead in a boat!"
"Boat fish don't count"
"Fish Hard, Live Long"
"Chunking is for cheaters"...................Oh wait, that's an entirely different thread :D.

eelman
05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Not sure basstracker...I found it pretty easy to get 30lb fish from shore also:hihi: And it was always expected..thats the attitude you need to score in either a boat or in the surf...Your post is good but I fished the surf for 23 years or so...so I have seen and done just about everything in the surf....I think my perspective is as god as anyones....I can say that a boat doesnt always mean a big fish...its still a hunt and has its own set of nuances...So basically I have been there done that in the surf..

ThrowingTimber
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
definitely a hunting game, with the wind today it wasnt easy to see them breezing but once we found a school big enough :angel: Game AWN! I have to balance the boat thing hitting the surf in under an hour. And Oh Jim get the boat, if it means you'll enjoy it, make yoursef happy, I did the math this week and running to the canal each morning and fishing home waters at night from my truck I would have saved money AND KNOCKED THE SNOT OUT OF FISH had I had a small bay boat I could trailer... Guess who's taking strippers off his winter budget?:bl:

jim sylvester
05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
definitely a hunting game, with the wind today it wasnt easy to see them breezing but once we found a school big enough :angel: Game AWN! I have to balance the boat thing hitting the surf in under an hour. And Oh Jim get the boat, if it means you'll enjoy it, make yoursef happy, I did the math this week and running to the canal each morning and fishing home waters at night from my truck I would have saved money AND KNOCKED THE SNOT OUT OF FISH had I had a small bay boat I could trailer... Guess who's taking strippers off his winter budget?:bl:

say it ain't so....I'm talking about taking the strippers off the winter budget

stiff tip
06-01-2007, 05:24 AM
jim ..... dont b a girly man .... enjoy life. do what your selfish heart wants .... the hell w/ everyone else.f-um i can have a wife n f-n kids later...... b a man....also dont play w/ loaded guns....signed... your pal...

Pete_G
06-01-2007, 06:19 AM
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

I think DZ's post touched on this a bit. There's nothing easy about surfcasting, and there's no question that's part of the appeal for many. I don't think his post smacked of elitism, just truth. When you're on shore, it's surfcasting. When you're on the boat, it's striper fishing. It's not elitism, it just is what it is.

That said, I've been afloat almost as much as I've been standing or swimming in the water so far this year. It's fun and challenging in it's own way. To be honest when I'm on the boat I'm usually content just driving and letting other people do the catching. It's not that I don't have the "drive" to catch when I'm on the boat, but the hunt is as much fun as the catch there.

When I'm on shore I'm extremely competitive. I want to first to a spot, catch the biggest, push the hardest, etc. That's there in the boat too, but in a different way.

Both boat and shore offer qualities I really enjoy. What ever floats your boat, so to speak...

Take what you need from fishing however you can get it.

piemma
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Dennis:
You have always been a friend and always will be a friend. No harm done. You know how much I loved the surf.

There's not many guys that drove from Burrillville to Narragansett for 30 + years 100+ nights a year to fish. I did. Bryan knows. Hell, I fished Gansett one year more than him and he lives there.

With the recent health issues I have had it just made sense for me to get a boat and prolong doing what I love.

By the way, just so everybody knows, the Chemo has worked as I have been cancer free for the last 3 months. Thanks for all the prayers.

Raven
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
super glad to hear that Paul :claps:

piemma
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks RAVEN!

RIJIMMY
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
that is aboslutley fantastic news Paul!

piemma
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Jimmy. 2 years battling the demon. Let's pray it hold up for good.

JFigliuolo
06-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Dennis:
You have always been a friend and always will be a friend. No harm done. You know how much I loved the surf.

There's not many guys that drove from Burrillville to Narragansett for 30 + years 100+ nights a year to fish. I did. Bryan knows. Hell, I fished Gansett one year more than him and he lives there.

With the recent health issues I have had it just made sense for me to get a boat and prolong doing what I love.

By the way, just so everybody knows, the Chemo has worked as I have been cancer free for the last 3 months. Thanks for all the prayers.

Congrats on the cancer fight. That's good news...

As far as driving from Burriville... I WISH I lived that close. No sympathy here, and I hit it almost as often...about 80-90 nights.

JohnR
06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
The beauty is that each has its own attractions and mystical qualities to it that are - for me - somewhat hard to express. The feeling laying into a decent fish in a 20kt in-your-face wind while looking at the lights of Block Island and the dance on the horizon of Montauk is awesome, especially knowing must are all tucked in for the night and are missing this!!! Surreal in some ways as it touches the soul. On the other hand, running fast on flat-a$$ mirrored-glass calm seas with the smell of sunrise forced through your nostrils as the anticipation builds. You throttle down and creep then drift into your honey whole, whip your offering into the rocks, sense the hit coming and fight and land nice fish! This also does wonders on your psyche!

Both are awesome, both, taken seriously represent various challenges, enjoyment, and absolute satisfaction

Canalman
06-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Jim,

Don't let yourself be fooled into believing its that much easier, because it isn't. You think you're gonna go out there with 10 bunker and catch 10 30-45 pounders you've got some learning to do. The majority of what you'll catch is the same as what you get from the beach 15-25 pounds. And then there's gas, getting bait, keeping it alive, the extremely high mortality rate of the fish you catch and that sick realization that there are not hoardes of 40's throwing themselves at your bait. Take a deep breath, fishing is supposed to be fun :), don't stress about the bass you're not catching and know that by the time you get your boat in the water, those bass will be dropping out of there and heading along our coast. :happy:

-Dave

Back Beach
06-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Jim,

Don't let yourself be fooled into believing its that much easier, because it isn't. You think you're gonna go out there with 10 bunker and catch 10 30-45 pounders you've got some learning to do. The majority of what you'll catch is the same as what you get from the beach 15-25 pounds. And then there's gas, getting bait, keeping it alive, the extremely high mortality rate of the fish you catch and that sick realization that there are not hoardes of 40's throwing themselves at your bait. Take a deep breath, fishing is supposed to be fun :), don't stress about the bass you're not catching and know that by the time you get your boat in the water, those bass will be dropping out of there and heading along our coast. :happy:

-Dave

Good points Dave. I heard you made a recent boat trip and I was thinking Redlite and I would have the surf to ourself this season following your baptism.:laugha:

Crazy Alberto
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
There are many valid pointers and allow me to interject. :wave:
The truth of the matter is… we are talking about the sport of “fishing”. Fishing is just a broad term of catching a fish with a hook.

As we all know, there are many forms of fishing and for the most part, each method has its own challenging pointers. It really doesn’t matter and it could be from the surf, boat or flycasting or chunking… it’s all the same! Since I’ve owned a 25 ft. for over 15 years and had the pleasure of catching multiple species and big fish… And it does not say that it is easier. Contrary to what is said, you still have to find the fish, take care of the maintenance, expenses and all that. It’s WORK! To belittle a boater or any other method of fishing is ludicrous and disrespectful to the sport.

Although I sold my boat many years ago, from time to time I still jump on the boat. WHY? Because it’s fun!

For me, I spend most of my outings late at night and from the surf. It’s a matter of convenience because I can coordinate a specific tide for big fish (Stripers) in just a few hours and its minutes drive from my house. The boat would have been cumbersome and time consuming.

Fortunately, I have access to many boats but I choose to fish from shore because through the years, I’ve learn many prime spots and they are close to the shoreline. That is why I opted to sell my boat and catch’em from the suds. The bottom line is… It’s the BIG HUNT… and it is equally challenging and rewarding from both perspective of the game! All in all, it would be worthwhile to have a boat for the family and to target other species (Tuna, Tautog, Doormat, Cod, etc) that prowls the deeper parts and columns of the water. But if the game is Striped Bass… they can be easily caught from terra firma or the deck… It’s all up to you and your skill level! :)

“Crazy” Alberto
nonstopfisher@optonline.net

Canalman
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Good points Dave. I heard you made a recent boat trip and I was thinking Redlite and I would have the surf to ourself this season following your baptism.:laugha:

NF chance!:behead: :jester:

daceman63
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I say get a boat. You mentioned you're getting older and its tougher to climb around the rocks looking for the sweet spot. You deserve to get a boat.

I surf cast as well. I have fished the canal but mostly do it now on the sandy shores of the cape.

When I bought my boat I spent more time on it as I spent good money on it and wanted to make it worth my while. After all, why have a boat if you're not going to use it. Boating gives you the best of two awesome worlds......boating and fishing.

If buying a boat keeps you fishing longer then there is your justification to your wife. It's to allow you to prolong your favorite past time....

If she loves you, and I'm sure she does.....that will be all she needs to hear...

Good luck in your search.

DZ
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
When I initially made a post that drew a heated response from my friends I began to re-analyze how what I said could be interpreted. Not knowing that Piemma was ill I can understand his reaction.

My comment “No Dyed in the wool surfcaster would buy a boat” was painted with to broad a brush. Obviously there are many sets of circumstances and reasons that would cause an avid surfcaster to “go the way of the boat.” My apologies to all.

Most of you who know me well realize that I would not knowingly say something hurtful. Most of you also know that I’m passionate about surf casting and place it above all other forms/methods of angling. That is me and just how I feel.

That said, even I have enjoyed fishing from a boat. Many of my friends have boats and invite me from time to time but for some reason won’t let me aboard with korkers. So far I’ve only found one boat that will let me on with korkers – the Block Island ferry. Some of the more passionate surf rats I know use boats in an ingenious way – to access another piece of shoreline! That’s my kind of boat.

And Jim, now that we’ve hijacked your thread. Get yourself a boat.

DZ

RIROCKHOUND
06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I for one have actually seen DZ catch a blackfish!

Jim good luck in your quest!

jim sylvester
06-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Jim,

-Dave

great points dave

paul, congrats on beating it!!!!!!!!!!! the best news i've heard today

vineyardblues
06-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Jim,
I have a boat that has not seen water in 2 years :bl:
But they are nice, good luck brother!
VB

capesams
06-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Jim s.... Buy a GD boat and if it doesn't work out SELL it...that simple.Just cause you buy one, it doesn't mean your stuck with it for the rest of your life....now your ONLY problem is..do you buy a sunday go to meetin one or a plane jane work horse...good luck.

Shake N' Bake
06-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Jim,
If you have the means to buy a good quality boat that why not???
Let me know when you buy so I can give you my 1-800-GOT-A-TRUCK-TO-TOW-&-GAS-MONEY.
You only live once Do It !!!

RIJIMMY
06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Now thats the DZ we know and love!

I've really enjoyed this thread as I have been agonizing over buying a boat for a few years. I'm not sure what my hesitation is, this year I said it has to be the right boat, right price, right time. Just like having kids, there is no "right" time. I think I may have found the right boat at the right price and I'm going to take a look this weekend. I may take the plunge. I enjoy surf casting enormously, and love every minute I'm out whether I am skunked or not. I spent countless hrs as a kid at Ctown breachway watching the boats head out and dreamed some day that would be me. I'm not getting any younger and time is going by much too quickly, I think its time to live that dream and like Cape Sams said, if it dont work out, I'll sell it.