View Full Version : shimano corvalus - need help

g00se
05-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I need some help.. and I'm kinda new..

The corvalus 400 has a "clicker".. the instructions say not to activate it when winding the line.. I'm assuming it's for an alarm for when you're chunk baiting then? It doesn't really say the purpose other than to put more tension on the spool, but like i said, not to be in use when winding.. what's the deal?

Rob Rockcrawler
05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I dont know what the deal is, as far as i know its just a bait alarm, you can reel with it engaged, dont know if it does damage to it or not. I used one of them for a long time and tamed more than a few decent fish in the canal with it. Tough little reel for the cash, and suprisingly durable.

g00se
05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
i went out on the beach and tried to cast a bunch of times.. backlash on every cast... i had no idea the baitcasters were so difficult!! i'm currently using braided 30 lb... a guy that stopped by recomended i use mono instead.. any other suggestions?

JohnR
05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Not familiar with that particular reel but keep the clicker off unless you are running super light drag or in free spool while chunking / drifting (with thumb still on spool)

Use 20 pound mono until you are comfortable. To set your reel's cast control tighten cast control until whatever lure you are using will drop from the tip to the ground and the spool still barely turns. This will be a fairly tight setting but as you get better you can use less cast control and more thumb

g00se
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
thanks guys...

john... the guy i was talking to said that the heavier the line, the easier it would be to cast without backlash.. is that true? I'll try the 20 lb..

Rob Rockcrawler
05-31-2007, 05:18 AM
That reel is actually pretty easy to cast with just a little bit of practice. Id try to get a nice smooth cast with a lure that doesnt wobble much, when you cast a lure that catches the wind it can create a backlash. Right when it is getting ready to splash down thumb the spool to stop it.

slow eddie
05-31-2007, 07:43 AM
i use the 20 lb. ande backcountry on my abu's. no problem and the line really takes a beating in the rocks. if the backlash condition continues, try 3-1 oil instead of the regular oils. i was having a problem with different oils and the backlash problem after 20 min. plugging. joe mollica suggested that i try 3 and 1. problem solved.