View Full Version : any SURFCASTERS doing well?

JFigliuolo
06-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Not to slight any boaters, but anyone getting it done from shore? Both I and my partner have had a VERY slow 2 weeks. Anyone getting into some consistant decent fish? I know of a few big ones here and there, but NOTHING like our boating friends are dooing.

Just trying to get a realistic gauge on this young season so far...

zacs
06-01-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=41260

looks like a good start to me....

riverrat2
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Had fish up to 28lbs couple nights ago. Last night sucked, god damn weather man, mostly cloudy my a#$.

patpatriot
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
im not down your neck of the woods but up here in mass after about 6 trips ive caught 4 keeper size bass, one over 35", going out again tonight hopefully put one on the grill for the first time. Also there been some large blues from shore too. all in all im happy so far this season and hoping it continues like this or better

Rockport24
06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I almost put up this exact thread because I was wondering myself. Seems the boat guys are slamming them.
Rappin Mikey got a nice one from shore recently.
I'm about to switch things into high gear up around my neck of the woods and start tossing eels and looking for large, other than that, it's been schoolie time.

Canalman
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Don;t get caught up in what the boats are doing... there are plenty of bass to be caught in the surf... and these Bay fish will create a windfall for the surf guys who make some educated guesses...

I've had several fish from teenagers to mid-twenties all month and I haven't even started tossing eels yet

Canalman
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Everyone is high on bunker fish right now... this happened last year too but we didn't have people talking about it so we didn't know. Remember that while there are lots of bass on the bunker.... that doesn't mean that the other bass are ignoring other bait sources... stick to your guns and you'll succeed.

-Dave

riverrat2
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Don;t get caught up in what the boats are doing... there are plenty of bass to be caught in the surf... and these Bay fish will create a windfall for the surf guys who make some educated guesses...

I've had several fish from teenagers to mid-twenties all month and I haven't even started tossing eels yet

Thats cause you left them in mikes truck:rotf3:

Rockport24
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Everyone is high on bunker fish right now... this happened last year too but we didn't have people talking about it so we didn't know. Remember that while there are lots of bass on the bunker.... that doesn't mean that the other bass are ignoring other bait sources... stick to your guns and you'll succeed.

-Dave

that is the kind of pep-talk I need!!!

ThrowingTimber
06-01-2007, 03:40 PM
swinging for the fences and coming up short. Trying to adapt :cheers:

whiplash
06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
YES!!!!All along the south coast from Westport to Mattapoisett also no crowds. Now all we need is that SW wind back .

Gobi
06-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm dying in Matunuck right now... same... last two weeks equals skunkville.

RIJIMMY
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm far from a know it all, and really shouldnt give advice, but....

if you're doing what you always do/did and not catching fish, you need to change your tactics. If you've been fishing in the same area for 2 wks and not catching fish, its time to move around.

Pete_G
06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
There's random catching going on, but overall it's been tough for the shore bound from what I'm hearing at the shop.

Last night was ultimate example of it in Newport. Me and 3 others were on shore (sort of, even the farthest swimmer didn't get anything) yet just a few hundred yards further out a couple buddies of mine were doing a number on bass from 15 to 28 pounds in the boat. See the AH 10" Needle thread.

We got nothing besides rats to 25 inches and a few bluefish for 3 or so hours. At the exact same time, my friends in the nearby boat had quality bass battling for the privilege to eat the exact same needlefish I was fishing. :wall:

baldwin
06-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Put in the time, look for the fish. Surfcasting is more challenging and harder to succeed at than boat fishing. That's what's great about it! If it was easier, I'd lose interest.

Finaddict
06-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Pick your spots and hopefully you'll do well, the worst day I have yet this year was while I was in my kayak, otherwise for the wading trips I've had a ball ... nothing terribly large but some decent fish and a lot of action ... now the bigger fish are around we hopefully will find them dropping to needles, etc. :happy:

ChiefLinesider
06-02-2007, 02:30 AM
OVERNIGHT
SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT LATE.
SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

SAT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE LATE
MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT NIGHT
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. PATCHY FOG.
SCATTERED SHOWERS IN THE EVENING. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

SUN
S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN NIGHT
S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT LATE. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Time to start the car...

eelman
06-02-2007, 02:41 AM
OVERNIGHT
SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT LATE.
SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

SAT
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE LATE
MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT NIGHT
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. PATCHY FOG.
SCATTERED SHOWERS IN THE EVENING. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.

SUN
S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN NIGHT
S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT LATE. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Time to start the car...

Or the Boat....

Pt.JudeJoe
06-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Take heart lads!:buds: Mother Nature is sending us a wee storm Sun nite-Mon. There will be good water and I do believe there will be good fish in the surf.

partsjay
06-02-2007, 07:23 AM
This year has been a good one for me so far.....seeing much more and bigger fish than the last few years.....I think this weekend is going to crush!