View Full Version : rod help for a Penn 706z reel

good2hook
06-13-2007, 01:14 AM
now that i own a new 706z i'm going to the experts for some help.(that would be YOU guys:bounce: ) i'm as green as you can get, to throwing wood, jigs etc. is there an all around rod that will do it all? i'm looking to spend around 300.00, any suggestions would be great.

Trunky
06-13-2007, 05:36 AM
lamiglas 1321L

Clogston29
06-13-2007, 06:31 AM
lami 1201m

Gunpowder
06-13-2007, 06:42 AM
300 will cover u for a lot of things. get a rod worth about 150 and spend the rest on plugs

Mike P
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
It might be helpful to tell us about what kind of water you fish and what weight lures you'll be using.

Jigs from a sand beach might mean 3/4 oz. Jigs in the Canal might mean 5-6 oz. Just as one example ;)

zimmy
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Clogston is right if you really want an all around rod... in my experience the closest is the 1201m. If you are going spinning, it will throw 3/4 of an oz (not ideal, but pretty well) and you can throw 4 or 5 oz jigs in the canal. It is great for 2 or 3 oz. There is one in the classifieds that is a steal, but maye it is gone. Arra 1205 is also a good choice if you can find a used one. Don't think you will get under the 300 mark new for the 1205. All star 1208 also a good choice, but a different (stiffer) feel than the other 2. I dont like it as much at the lower end, but does well at the upper end of the weight range. Good luck.

In The Surf
06-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Like Mike said, where are you fishing and what are you throwing?
For the beaches of the Cape a 1201 L.
For the canal or the rocks of Rhody a 1201M.

good2hook
06-13-2007, 06:34 PM
see there in lies the problem. i fish everywhere, i fish the canal mostly, but have a few friends who fish RI, actually fished point judith lighthouse yesterday, very rocky, but what a blast. is there a rod that will cover all types of water? i am willing to try wood, generally in the 2-3 ounce cat. but i also love throwing rubber. ie sluggos, wildeyes, hogys, stuff like that? am i better off getting two/ at 150.00 a pc.? i might even stretch to 200.00 a rod, but would rather get one that will do both....thanks for all the feedback much appreciated....

should i go built or should i have it built? .anybody know a great rod builder, that wouldn't mind working with a greenhorn? thanks again.....

oh one more thing, it needs to be braid friendly......

In The Surf
06-13-2007, 11:55 PM
see there in lies the problem. i fish everywhere, i fish the canal mostly, but have a few friends who fish RI, actually fished point judith lighthouse yesterday, very rocky, but what a blast. is there a rod that will cover all types of water? i am willing to try wood, generally in the 2-3 ounce cat. but i also love throwing rubber. ie sluggos, wildeyes, hogys, stuff like that? am i better off getting two/ at 150.00 a pc.? i might even stretch to 200.00 a rod, but would rather get one that will do both....thanks for all the feedback much appreciated....

should i go built or should i have it built? .anybody know a great rod builder, that wouldn't mind working with a greenhorn? thanks again.....

Sounds like you want a Lami 1201 M, Fuji components, hardoloy guides and an SIC tip to be braid friendly. I'm guessing it should run you from $230-$280 or so depending on who builds it but I could be wrong. Plenty of good builders out there. Mike from M&D's (Cape Cod Tackle), Charlie at CMS, Mike White/Saltheart, Dave/Fishaholic 18, Dave Fontaine/Seawolf, etc.....
For the rubba like slug-go's, hogy's, surf hogs and such I like an 8' or 9' rod. Stevie Slug-go uses an 8' factory Star rod. So here you can get away with a decent 1 piece factory rod for $125 to $150 or so.

fishaholic18
06-14-2007, 03:08 AM

Lami SB 121 3M-Fiberglass, 10', 1 piece, 4-6 ozs

Lami GSB 120 1M-Graphite, 10', 1 piece, 2-8 ozs.

Lami GSB 120 1L-Graphite, 10', 1 piece, 1-5 ozs.

Bill L
06-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Check out the Loomis SUR1266 at Saltwater edge. Very versatile rod, its a two piece though

NIB
06-14-2007, 06:11 AM
One rod that does everything?
What a concept.If I would have thought of that I could have saved the money I spent on the other 70 rods I have an bought a boat..

NIB
06-14-2007, 06:19 AM
The lure ratings that F-18 has posted are out of the Lamiglas catalog.
They seem to have a problem with rating their blanks.They are from Washington State an I would bet 8 oz of lead is lighter there.
U give me a 120 1M an a 6 oz jig an after one night I'm giving u back a 2 pc rod..
U can whip bombers out there with it.I would say the sweet spot is 2 oz.
For the area's U posted the 120 1M is the rod I use.
Actually I have the factory model..101MXS I think..
I can't tell the difference..Between the factory an a custom..

fishaholic18
06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
The lure ratings that F-18 has posted are out of the Lamiglas catalog.
They seem to have a problem with rating their blanks.They are from Washington State an I would bet 8 oz of lead is lighter there.
U give me a 120 1M an a 6 oz jig an after one night I'm giving u back a 2 pc rod..
U can whip bombers out there with it.I would say the sweet spot is 2 oz.
For the area's U posted the 120 1M is the rod I use.
Actually I have the factory model..101MXS I think..
I can't tell the difference..Between the factory an a custom..
NIB is correct, Lami does overrate a bit.

fishermanjim
06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
u still can't beat lami though,,, they have been making them forever

good2hook
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
hey guys thanks alot, looks like the 120 1M might be the stick to go with, now is this a factory stick or do is it one that needs to be custom built? :huh:

sorry again for the silly questions....

In The Surf
06-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Sounds like you want a Lami 1201 M, Fuji components, hardoloy guides and an SIC tip to be braid friendly. I'm guessing it should run you from $230-$280 or so depending on who builds it but I could be wrong. Plenty of good builders out there. Mike from M&D's (Cape Cod Tackle), Charlie at CMS, Mike White/Saltheart, Dave/Fishaholic 18, Dave Fontaine/Seawolf, etc.....

custom
easier to just quote myself
go with basic black wraps it's less expensive and you can get the reel seat where it's comfortable for you based on where you hold the rod when casting and retreiving.