View Full Version : Fluke rigs and techniques

tobias
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Got out with my brother on his boat this past weekend and did some fluking and had a great time. Had only been fluking one other time. Caught some fluke for the table:drool: My question to the experts is about rigs and techniques. All set on the pole and reel but wanted some help with jigs, bait, etc. We drifted with store bought rigs on a three-way with a fluke ball. I know I can probably make a better rig than that the store bought ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We didn't catch too many but had a great time just hanging out with my little brother. Maybe next time we'll do better.

Thanks!

RIJIMMY
06-19-2007, 09:12 AM
tobias, can I piggyback off your thread? I was also wondering what type of structure/water you look for when fishing for fluke, best time of day etc.
I hope this doenst derail your initial post!

tobias
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
All info is welcomed:wiggle:

ProfessorM
06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I use sandeels, fresher the better. I also use a tandem rig with a belly strip and 2 sandeels. The strip will get you the bigger fish. You need the tandem rig as the strip is too long and they will grab on to the strip and not get the hook most of the time. If you really like fluke fishing I would recommend getting the book Fishing for Fluke by Don Kamienski. It is part of the "The Fisherman" library. It is loaded with great info and rigs and how to fish them and what to look for, well worth the price. I learned a lot form it. I even called the author up and talked to him. A great guy. If you want a great spot with easy access Pm me Andy and I will spill the beans. I limited out in half and hour yesterday. No need for a big boat either. P.

MakoMike
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Basic rig is a long ahnk hook with a strip of squid or fluke belly and a sand eel or spearing. Fluke like flas, so the better rigs will have spinners and/or a small squid skirt on top of the hook. Some of the store bought rigs are pretty good.

striperman36
06-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Fluke is targetted species, I use my own tied fluke rigs.
Lately I have been using bait called fishbites with great success.
Had 5 up to 8 lbs Sat.
I also tend to fish deeper water, up to 90'. powerpro is awesome with fast taper rods, I do not dead stick my primary and normally as Prof M says, can limit out within a matter of hours.

RIROCKHOUND
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I'll disagree:
3 way swivel
sinker
40lb mono
4/0 hook

Whole Squid (the 6" size, frozen from stop and shop)
OR
a long belly strip with a tandem hook rig.

Fish near structure, right along side, but not on...

Check OTW in the august issue :D
and my deadstick rod usually outfishes my jig rod UNLESS the drift is very very slow!

RIJ...
I could be tempted to come out :D:D:D
I dont know a ton of West bay spots but willing to experiment anytime!

Rick Ackley
06-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Watch the reports, and remember you need to bounce the bottom kicking up the sand as an attractant.Rigs tied with spinners, plastic squid bodies, dressed with some type of real bait most times produces.

Rick Ackley
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Tobi, where are you fishing? PM me and I'll try to help, there is a no spot talk on here

striperman36
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
I try to set my sticks just on the bottom, with the fast tip they bounce, however, the deadstick always seems to have the fish set itself. Given the variety of bottom, like you said right on the edge not on the structure, I can keep my jig stick from hanging up more frequently than the deadstick which if I don't watch it will hang. I try to make sure regardless that the weight line is lighter than the main line or rig line.

I also try to make sure I do not have a significant amount of scope and weight. I try to stay between 4 and 8 oz. I also power drift or drift sock it. I have 2 socks on the boat.

I have started experimenting with circle hooks to see if I can get a better set on the deadstick.

macojoe
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Ask a 100 people get a 100 answers!! LOL

So here is mine.

I use a fish finder, swivel, 3 foot leader 30# Floro, 3/0 to 5/0 SS wide gap hook with Squid strips to get going then I use Fluke belly and the top side works well also!!

Fish any were form 15 to 100 feet with enough weight to hold bottom, you must be on the bottom!!

Fish the drop offs, Bass will be in these waters at night!! Fluke in the day!

I got 112 pounds today doing just this!!

Good Luck!

striperman36
06-19-2007, 07:02 PM
You are using greg's rods too?

112 lbs nice, I can't wait till saturday, tides not right for morning tho

tobias
06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I was fishing off eastern Connecticut shore. Keep it coming guys:tooth:

Roger
06-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I use a white jig with squid 90% of the time.

Bill L
06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Where's the Flukemeister???

No affiliation, but I like the off-the-shelf Thom Cat fluke rigs, good hardware and line, well made. Favorite is the glow-baby squid skirt with squid or mummie or belly strip, and a 2-3-4 ounce bucktail or marios jig with squid, or just a bank sinker, off the 3-way swivel.

ProfessorM
06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
To be more specific as I should have mentioned, I am fishing in fairly shallow water, up to 20 feet, sort of inland areas. I know the guys who target the larger fish and in much deeper water will use different set ups. Like Joe said you ask 100 guys you get 100 answers, and all good. Great post and lots of good ideas to learn from.

RIJIMMY
06-20-2007, 08:30 AM
all good info, thanks

its bizarre to me that fluke hit a fluke belly? Anyone have some info as to why?
Brian, its not like the east bay is a long ride! I'll give you a yell once Im in and functioning!

RIROCKHOUND
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Jim,
They just LOVE long strip baits..
Bluefish, sea robin, whatever...
thats why Bellys work.. fluke is just easy to get.

My grounds are south of the East Bay a few miles...
we'll talk.

Blue SUV in gansett last night you??
Bryan

RIJIMMY
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
nope, SUV sold, driving a mini-van now : (

ThomCat
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Where's the Flukemeister???

No affiliation, but I like the off-the-shelf Thom Cat fluke rigs, good hardware and line, well made. Favorite is the glow-baby squid skirt with squid or mummie or belly strip, and a 2-3-4 ounce bucktail or marios jig with squid, or just a bank sinker, off the 3-way swivel.

:cheers: Thanks for the endorsement, toonoc, them things been the last meal of a pretty good number of "Mud Marlin." These fish have the temperment of a bluefish, a flat bluefish. They will eat anything they can get their jaws around. I've caught them on all the baits mentioned above as well as eels, plugs, chunks, worms and crabs. I don't think flouro is necessary as you could use telephone wire and it wouldn't disuade a hungry fluke. Color and flash are definately a factor though, as these fish are sight feeders. Bigger baits will absolutely catch bigger fish. There is a sequence in Mike Laptew's "Stripers Gone Wild" that will give you an idea of their explosiveness. Any other questions on gear or whatever, you can contact me at thomcatfluke.net :cool: :bl: :kewl: :btu:

ProfessorM
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I too saw those rigs at the show this spring and thought about getting a few, but i forgot. I am a KISS rig guy but I think I would like to give it a try. I guess I will have to go to your site and get a few. They looked really good. Flat bluefish is a good analogy as they are very aggressive and luckly as dumb as a second coat of paint as I have dropped bait down onto them repeatedly to have them attack it time and time again until I have hooked them.

ThomCat
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
:shocked: I'd rather think of them as more pugnatious, persistant and additudal than DUMB!!! What does that say for us flukin' idiots that chase them...:cheers:

ProfessorM
06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Yup. I like your analogy better. I am a little dumb though.

striperman36
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Laptew's fluke sequence is awesome and scary. I wonder if halibut act the same way.
I wouldn't wade in shallow water with them around.

blaruffa
06-21-2007, 05:53 PM
IMO I use Chinoteauge Rigs, with 4 oz sinkers. For bait. I was squid, very small eels, I wil will also catch scup and filet out into ong strips. They like that as well.

Fluke like sandy bottoms. Find a nice sand bar and start your drift off of it. You want to current to push you over the bar. Fluke like to sit pointing into the current on the bottom and wait for the bait to be pushed over the bar so they can pop up and grab it.

Good luck, they put up a great fight.

Also I have caught large fluke bouncing a bucktail jig over the sand bar as well.

kaner
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
where did you guys go? i am out of groton and have been learnin a few spots...i use the store bought rigs with squid usually.

MakoMike
06-27-2007, 04:19 PM
IMO I use Chinoteauge Rigs, with 4 oz sinkers. For bait. I was squid, very small eels, I wil will also catch scup and filet out into ong strips. They like that as well.

Fluke like sandy bottoms. Find a nice sand bar and start your drift off of it. You want to current to push you over the bar. Fluke like to sit pointing into the current on the bottom and wait for the bait to be pushed over the bar so they can pop up and grab it.

Good luck, they put up a great fight.

Also I have caught large fluke bouncing a bucktail jig over the sand bar as well.

The really big fish like hard bottom around structure.

ThomCat
06-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Estuary channel edges like those in Pt. Judith Pond and river mouths and breachways will produce some surprising fish on a dropping tide. It's not always "deeper for keepers":btu:

BassyiusMaximus
06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I was just out yesterday and had probably the best day in 4-5 years. Many, many fish over 17.5" with a couple that topped 26". Many spit up sandeels and the FF showed clouds of them where we were along with squid. It helped that yesterday was foggy, very foggy in the am all the way into the afternoon. We each had our limit of 5 in under an hour. It also helped that there were no other boats save for one comm. that was in the area as well so as not to scare the sandeels or anything else away. I'd put up the pics but the computer here won't allow me to do anything today.