View Full Version : Has this website changed?

DZ
06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Is it just my perception or has this site swung more towards boat fishing topics in the past 6 months or so? I know it's a site "all about" striper fishing but the slant seems to have changed. (Not that there's anything wrong with that). Any thoughts?

DZ

stars'nstripers
06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
ya it has changed but..... is that a bad thing. everything needs to cahnge sometime

Karl F
06-21-2007, 11:33 AM
I've noticed the shift as well.. also.. a few more regulars.. missing or posting less.. been out of the loop a bit this season so far, for various reasons... but have had some intel that the shore fishing isn't that great.. like the past few years.. the action is from the boats.. so.. it would follow, that would be were the "talk" is... No? :huh:

Rockport24
06-21-2007, 12:06 PM
yeah I think the shore guys that may be doing somewhat well are just not reporting. I have also not seen many technique questions lately, seems everybody is just interested in how others are doing and where the fish are.. but that is the nature of a fishing site.

Gunpowder
06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
ya it has changed but..... is that a bad thing. everything needs to cahnge sometime

lol havent u been here for only a month or so?!?!?! :wiggle: dont worry only bustin ure chops.

Nebe
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
its those damn pogies..:hihi: yes things have changed here.

MrHunters
06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
lol havent u been here for only a month or so?!?!?! :wiggle: dont worry only bustin ure chops.

thought the same thing.. :tooth:

i do much more boat fishing than shore fishing now that I have a boat payment. it might make the purist upset but I'm having fun :bshake:

however i dont know why the boat fishing forum is second fiddle to the scuppers in the forums list ;)

Flaptail
06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Also noticed that not many people are fishing at night, at least up my way. There is some good fishing if you don't mind doing it in the dark and at least in my situation I have been pretty much alone. Last night was good, not great but good and nary a soul to be found. Thats good too isn't it?

By 9:30pm, poof everyone turns into a pumpkin. From 5pm till then it's shoulder to shoulder.

Back Beach
06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
By 9:30pm, poof everyone turns into a pumpkin. From 5pm till then it's shoulder to shoulder.

I think its always been like that during the week. On weekends you see the "die hards" out there until about 10:30. Last year I fished mostly 11pm to 4am and was always alone, save for a pack of coyotes baying in the background. You may have company at the canal at night, but usually nowhere else.

JohnR
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
This site is directed by you guys. The discussion moves where you want it to move. I think that like mentioned above the late night bite has been less consistent this year and that is having some impact as well. I also think that the boat aspect has been highlighted more this year than in the past but I don't think a lot of guys have moved from surf to boat - obviously some have though...

Again, the discussion is what you guys put forward. Lots of sites will quietly instruct people to post topics to stir some discussions, artificially inflating discussion - I don't really believe in that.

On the other hand, Dennis & Flap, I miss your stories ;)

tattoobob
06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't fish anymore :bc:

RIJIMMY
06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
i think a relatively few folks, who are very vocal (names left out to protect the innocent) have migratied to boating, been VERY successful and have posted a lot of threads.

just look at the striper cup!!!! looks like a surf club to me! OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronko
06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I have noticed that too Flap. But I like it that way. Usually only the true hardcores out then anyway. Although at some hidden gem "elbow" spots I tend to bump into the same old timer in the dead of the night usually between 1-5am. The last two times out it was just he and I. This is a fishy guy and the stories are as good as catching. He has fished with them all. The last time we were in the current he told me wild stories about Pleasant Bay, Barnstable Harbor and fishing with Pergo Felice. :faga:

Also noticed that not many people are fishing at night, at least up my way. There is some good fishing if you don't mind doing it in the dark and at least in my situation I have been pretty much alone. Last night was good, not great but good and nary a soul to be found. Thats good too isn't it?

vanstaal
06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
its those damn pogies..:hihi: yes things have changed here.
absolutley

>"REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
>
>ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
>
>ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM
>

jim sylvester
06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't fish anymore :bc:

sell me that vs for what you picked it up for then:wiggle:

Joe
06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Gas prices have impacted people's ability to fish as much as they would like - people don't get too excited about dropping a bunch of coin on gas unless the fishing is really good.

Redsoxticket
06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
If your going to post anything regarding boat fish, well there is a forum called"Boat fishing and boating".
This way you boat guys can share ideas and thoughts among yourselfs and leave stripertalk for the surf.

Bazza
06-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I think it has recently gone towards more boating:
Why ???
-Shore fishing not as good as in the past.
-Gas prices have gone up, some people may not want to spend 3$ a gallon to fish on the cape/ outer cape/RI
-People get tired of fishing at night with little to show for it, as one gets older not as easy to burn the candle at both ends.
-Peole who do catch, do not want to post any pictures for fear of getting blasted, or the whole spot talk debate i.e. keep thing to themselves or a small group of friends.
-People who boat fish and shore fish, find the boat much more productive.

However, we will still buy and love plugs.....
:love:

Joe
06-21-2007, 07:22 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, Flaptail, Piemma have migrated to boats...
If I was standing on a bridge and those three guys jumped off, I'd assume that the bridge was just about to be blown up or I was on fire.

fishaholic18
06-21-2007, 07:40 PM
leave stripertalk for the surf.
Who classified StriperTalk as Surf only? I thought it meant Talk about Stripers, hence the name..:whackin: :smash:

Redsoxticket
06-21-2007, 08:08 PM
There is a forum for boat fishing which leaves stripertalk for surf by deductive reasoning.

nightfighter
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
It's all fishing....

I cut my serious teeth in the surf, on rocks actually up here. Got totally into it. Studied it, studied threads, posts, did search to learn more, then went out to apply it myself. Was very good therapy to help me get through a divorce...

Got a boat this year. Still hit the surf, twice this week. so far. Boat once, 0400 this AM. But it's been ten years since I've had a boat, either power or sail, so has been a goal of mine to return to. Makes me happy, and I don't regret it.

As for the boat vs surf stuff....I don't get it. I am not so corinthian to think that a guy who has only ever boatfished hasn't earned his stripes....he just did it differently than me. Hell, I got a 100 ton ticket that I don't use. It's just that my roots were on boats. But I've spent much more fishing time in the surf.

DZ, I have a great deal of respect for the type of fishing you do, and the history of surf. There is just so much of the sport developed there. I just don't buy into the surf only school. As was stated in another thread, a surfcaster in a boat can be deadly.

redcrbbr
06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
May was a real slow month for me. I kept hearing about guys catching good numbers of large off the boats. My usual spot was DOA, I started searching for new pastures and found some fish, but nothing to brag about.

I think the reason we are hearing and seeing more about boat fish is the boats are catching more fish worthy of mentioning. The new spot I have will produce.. just a matter of when and being there when it does.

labrax
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Joe mentioned the effect of gas prices and he might be right. For me I have been out the same amount, but the success rate has been less so far. I have had a a couple of weekends with few to no fish and lots of gas money spent and the rewards to $ spent can make you think twice if you have to travel 1.5 hours. Of course, you can't catch them if you are not there and life is short - so what are you gonna do.

If I could afford a boat to use in the ocean - then I'd buy one. Someday I hope to have a small boat that I can use in the ocean, so I do not begrudge the boat guys - hey they are fishing too. It may be easier to move around and get access to different areas - in fact, it is, but you still have to have some skills to consistently pick up fish from a boat.

Guys that are consistently picking up large fish (e.g., Bill Nolan) must be very very good at what they do or they would not be routinely picking up fish that most of us could only dream of.

Van
06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
WOW, you mean people still fish from the shore ?????:huh: :huh:

bloocrab
06-22-2007, 12:23 AM
DZ -

I agree with you on the boat swing on the main page...
I think a LOT of it has to do with much fewer (successful) surf reports and manny more boat reports. As I'm sure we'll ALL agree...most members on this site or any other site for that matter...are REPORT CHASERS. :cputin: ,,,

If the surf fishermen that are catching fish right now posted as such...the boat threads would seem more scattered. However manny of them are staying quiet therefore making the surf seem quieter...keeping the chasers at bay,, which in turn keeps the surf threads at bay....Chasers post more, that's one of the ways they fish ;)

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what general area someone is fishing from, based on their post. When they post fish,,, you head in that general direction. With NO reports,,, most people are waiting for what has already begun....to begin :D

It doesn't bother me much at all anyway. I honestly feel alot of the main page has turned into product promotion,,,whether a sponsor is juicing his stuff, or having a close friend do it for him. A lot of advertising going on. Again, members are making some GREAT stuff...more power to em' ( I ain't complaining, just noting what I see ). SEND ME FREE PLUGGAGE PLEASE

I have to give a shout out to Tattoo though....I don't see any self-promotion going on from him even though his stuff still flys off the shelves, but we'll save that for a different thread :topic:

Let's not forget about JohnR too....;),,,he owns a boat now....and if you look at his last thread, he's looking for Boat caught fish pictures, ...it's obvious he too, is leaning toward a boating forum. ...if and when he ever christens his with the champagne :rotflmao:

On a serious note: This statement made by the Boss "This site is directed by you guys"....goes a lot deeper than one thinks. John has always allowed it to drift in the direction of the masses. Why don't the surf guys create a union so the boat guys don't overturn the site?

ridler72
06-22-2007, 05:29 AM
a surfcaster in a boat can be deadly.

A surfcaster in a kayak can be more deadly. :bl:

JohnR
06-22-2007, 05:47 AM
It doesn't bother me much at all anyway. I honestly feel alot of the main page has turned into product promotion,,,whether a sponsor is juicing his stuff, or having a close friend do it for him. A lot of advertising going on. Again, members are making some GREAT stuff...more power to em' ( I ain't complaining, just noting what I see ). SEND ME FREE PLUGGAGE PLEASE

Yeh - this has been a bit of a trend that I'm going to address soon, not yet sure how we're going to go.

Let's not forget about JohnR too....;),,,he owns a boat now....and if you look at his last thread, he's looking for Boat caught fish pictures, ...it's obvious he too, is leaning toward a boating forum. ...if and when he ever christens his with the champagne :rotflmao:

Yeh, I've owned a boat for three years - it's hit the water ZERO times :wall: - I love boats and I will fish from them, then again I really love fishing the surf. I plan to do both forever... The boat caught pictures :rotflmao: - I have a "photo" which has 5 pictures of shore based fishing and need to add one for a boat :hihi: ....

On a serious note: This statement made by the Boss "This site is directed by you guys"....goes a lot deeper than one thinks. John has always allowed it to drift in the direction of the masses. Why don't the surf guys create a union so the boat guys don't overturn the site?

This site is "You Guys", the success or failure of this site, the Fun or UnFun, is largely up to you. I have a lot more chance of screwing it up than making it better ;) . I get a lot of people thanking me for this site and I (almost) always attribute this back to you all. You guys make this site what it is...

Pete F.
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I think part of it is people are less afraid to say "I caught fish last night in my boat in the upper bay, then to say I caught fish from shore in gansett" It's a lot harder to find the same spot in a boat than it is to find a guy's vehicle parked along the coast. In order to be followed you have to be there at the right time or they are gone in the dark out into the bay.
Plus there have been big fish on bunker.

Swimmer
06-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I use to own a boat, then I sold it. When my wife finds another boat she likes I might own another boat. Truely for the money, if your going to spend it on gas the way prices are, to get the most fish a boat is the way to go.

Romantically speaking having the dune monsters chase after you is my favorite way to fish.

piemma
06-22-2007, 08:51 AM
There is a forum for boat fishing which leaves stripertalk for surf by deductive reasoning.

So now everyone who fishes out of a boat should not post here????

JohnR
06-22-2007, 09:07 AM
So now everyone who fishes out of a boat should not post here????

Hehehe, uhh, no. The main forum is general fishing, and yes, there is a leaning towards Surfcasting as Surfcasting does not have it's own dedicate forum. It has been decided several times in the past that surfcasting does not need it's own forum and that general pursuit of striped bass, whether shore, boat, yak, or fly can be discussed in the main forum. The specifics of Surfcasting, which is what most of us do most of the time, is for the main Stripertalk board. The part where Boat, Yak, and Fly forums is preferred is when you get into the nitty-gritty of Boating, Yaking, or Longwanding. These are just general suggestions. The only things that need really to get moved are generally things which are little or no relation to fishing that get bounced to scuppers..

If someone is talking about a particular rigging method that holds true for all fishing, then Stripertalk is obviously fine. If someone is talking about how to improvise on outrigger clips, probably best for the boating forum...

Above all, the board is how you guys use it...

piemma
06-22-2007, 12:06 PM
It was "tongue in cheek" John

JohnR
06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
It was "tongue in cheek" John

I know but others don't know your prehistoric charm & humor :love:

zimmy
06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Its the high gas prices. As soon as they reached 3 bucks a gallon everyone went out and bought a boat and a truck to trailer it :biglaugh:

NIGHT STRIKES
06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I have noticed a similiar trend on the NJ Boards also....

Maybe its just a lack of good quality or maybe quanity of quality fish being caught from the surfcasters the past few seasons,,,

There is no-doubt that the Live-Lining Bunker Boaters are on top right now..

Like John mentioned its the membership that drives the converstions
and right now it's good to be a boat owner - except when it comes to gas prices . And like Joe mentioned, the cost of filling up the tank to drive to your favorite fishing hole is not cheap over the past couple of seasons...

JohnR
06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
And like Joe mentioned, the cost of filling up the tank to drive to your favorite fishing hole is not cheap over the past couple of seasons...

Would there be interest in a "split the cost" section of the boards for those that want to pair up and surffish more economically?

Flaptail
06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I have noticed a similiar trend on the NJ Boards also....

Maybe its just a lack of good quality or maybe quanity of quality fish being caught from the surfcasters the past few seasons,,,

There is no-doubt that the Live-Lining Bunker Boaters are on top right now..

Like John mentioned its the membership that drives the converstions
and right now it's good to be a boat owner - except when it comes to gas prices . And like Joe mentioned, the cost of filling up the tank to drive to your favorite fishing hole is not cheap over the past couple of seasons...

Ah, the New Jersey boards where Frank Daignault is worshipped! Funny how a guy like him has to go to a NJ board for a fan base. Hmmm....... why is that?????????:rotfl: :rotflmao:

BigFish
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
:laughs: :hf1: :bl:

chris L
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Im ascared of the nightness

EricM
06-22-2007, 05:30 PM
I love fishing the surf, but would love to have a boat too. So no matter which way the board goes, its all interesting, and as it is a community it is good to hear about what everyone is doing, which ever way the conversations twist or turn. But it is certainly true that if you are doing well from shore, it is in your best interest to keep quiet about it, whereas the boat is a bit more tricky, but not impossible, to track.

fishaholic18
06-22-2007, 10:00 PM
nevermind

reebok
06-23-2007, 01:14 AM
My .02... I'm only interested in Surfcasting. I believe and always will that boat fish are a different category, altogether. Nice and all, but I'm just not interested.

RickBomba
06-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Da Boyz be catchin big fish now in tha boats...
Mine, too expensive to run....
Bombaz on the beach tomorrow...sans boats!!!
If I had a bunch o' Bunkas by me...maybe a different story/,,?
DZ...you know my old man???
He was on the Naps back in the day...#^&#^&#^&#^&y from Granby???
Lata,
Rick

keeperreaper
06-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I think the board reflects the striper fishery. As we change and adapt to meet the needs of catching fish so goes the board. It is not a bad thing it is just a mirror image of the fishery and the way of being proficient at catching quantities of good fish. If people were taking huge numbers os large bass on the beaches the slant of conversation and posts would revert to surfcasting from the rocks/sand. Its cyclical like everything else.

This particular board has a specific culture and disposition in terms of everyday postings which is cordial and open. Other boards are run in a tyrannical fashion where as John's "laissez faire" approach really makes for a great online community. S-B will reflect the fishery and the anglers actions regardless of the way they are fishing. Direct correlation to the methods being employed.

John job well done letting the board morph out of its infancy and into its adolescence.

Krispy
06-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Surf guys aren't posting as much, boaters have filled the void w/ lots of pictures. Site dynamics have changed as have the members