View Full Version : 9 inch Slug-go

steve
06-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I can not believe that there are still alot of members of the surf fishing community that are not using this amazing, amazing lure! The 9 inch rigged and weighted black slug-go is THE best artificial on the market today for striped bass.

cow tamer
06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I find that bluefish like them too. Lately, I go through more sluggos than bass caught.

dredey
06-23-2007, 09:40 AM
steve, what's your favorite rod/reel etc..for fishing the sluggo? and what type of technique do you use? ie...rod up like w/pencil or other?

riverrat2
06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
This sounds like SPAM

LeCounts1099
06-23-2007, 10:27 AM
To me, it has sounded that way from the start! :smash:

Generally I know what it means when a high- profile Caster hawks a certain product THAT much...

Esp. in the last couple of years when small Blues at night have been more of a nuisance than I ever remember... the game has become fishing through them, to cull out a Cow. I'll stick to my slowly- retrieved (& Blue- proof) Habs & BM & Lifishinvt Needles & Darters & Swimmers, etc... (or Riggies if I want to go through extra work & risk it to Teeth)... over a fast & erratically- moving one- hit Sluggo! My choice... :uhuh:

I bet Herb's bottom line has taken a hit since better & cheaper substitutes have hit the Market. :bc: His fault IMO, for having consumer unfriendly prices, & even more- so unfriendly/ ridiculous packaging... no bulk sales for reasonable prices... & even for that (one) silly hook he throws in! (Does anyone really use that POS? :D ) These factors always said to me they're a Co. out of touch w/ N.E. S.W. Casters... maybe more suited to LMB/ Fresh- water mentality?

riverrat2
06-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Eels, they are probably in the long run cheaper to. Slug-os are lucky if they last 3 or 4 good fish, and they cost about 4 bucks a pop + time and effort to rig them. I usually get 2 fish outta an eel and they are only 1.75 a peice. How many 50's have been cought on rigged slug-o's. Its trophy capability to me is still up in the air as well.

numbskull
06-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Eels, they are probably in the long run cheaper to. Slug-os are lucky if they last 3 or 4 good fish, and they cost about 4 bucks a pop + time and effort to rig them. I usually get 2 fish outta an eel and they are only 1.75 a peice. How many 50's have been cought on rigged slug-o's. Its trophy capability to me is still up in the air as well.

Interesting point. I don't fish eels and can't cast sluggos, but I'd probably rate a skin plug right up there in the effectiveness department.

riverrat2
06-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Never fished a skin plug, but if If I was searching for LARGE, I would choose a big danny with a giant skin on it over a slug-O any day. But eels seem to work ok for me regardless

steve
06-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Over the last 3 seasons I have taken big bass consistently with 3 over 40lbs. and I don't think I would have done much better using eels, and know I wouldn't have done nearly as well if I USED ANY OTHER TYPE OF ARTIFICIAL INCLUDING A SKIN PLUG which has always been one of my favorites. Also, I personnaly know of 3 fish in the high 40's taken on the black sluggo. I'ts just a matter of time until somebody gets a 50. I to was very skeptical of this lure's ability to catch monsters consistently but is does. Really, no spam or sales pitch, this is a great , great artifical and everone should be using it........ I use a 8 or 9 foot rod, a200 VS with 20 lb. mono. Fish the SLUG-GO fast bouncing the rod tip thru-out the retrieve. If blues show up put something else on or leave the sluggo on , you may be surprised.

Mike P
06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't have any affiliation with Sluggo or Herb Reed. However, I will say that over the last few seasons, I've done better with black, or red over black, 9" Sluggos in the Canal than I've done with my beloved jigs. I reserve my jigs for places where I have to have a monster cast to reach the hole or rip. In places where the holes are closer, I use Sluggos on 3-5 oz heads. Or Ronz eels. The fish also tend to hold onto a Sluggo or Ronz, even if you're slow to react to a hit.

I also use the 7-1/2" new size, but it doesn't rig as well on a jighead.

I also tend to use either 4" Sluggos or 4" Riptide Mullets almost exclusively now when I use a trailer on a jig. They produce as well as pork, and don't fold over the hook in current and cost you a hook up, like pork often does.

The effectiveness of Sluggos isn't hype. It's real.

One of my buddies from the other sites, a guy who has jigged and skinned for as long as I have, now refers to himself as "The Sultan of Sluggo" in his signature ;)

You're doing yourself a real disservice if you confuse the messenger with the message, IMO. Try them. They work.

steve
06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Over the last 3 seasons I have taken big bass consistently with 3 over 40lbs. and I don't think I would have done much better using eels, and know I wouldn't have done nearly as well if I USED ANY OTHER TYPE OF ARTIFICIAL INCLUDING A SKIN PLUG which has always been one of my favorites. Also, I personnaly know of 3 fish in the high 40's taken on the black sluggo. I'ts just a matter of time until somebody gets a 50. I to was very skeptical of this lure's ability to catch monsters consistently but is does. Really, no spam or sales pitch, this is a great , great artifical and everone should be using it........ I use a 8 or 9 foot rod, a200 VS with 20 lb. mono. Fish the SLUG-GO fast bouncing the rod tip thru-out the retrieve. If blues show up put something else on or leave the sluggo on , you may be surprised.

Young Salt
06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
they catch just fine, my only problem is with the durability.....trying riggies this year with hopes they hold up better.

oh, and they cost $4/3 pack not $4 a pop

Karl F
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
No affiliations here either.. and I don't think it's unknown or new either.. take a look at the back wall at places like the Bait Shack.. constantly getting restocked, and stripped...

and white ain't so bad either......

Steve... no offense meant, but do you have a connection?
Or, do you just think most folks don't know of their effectiveness?
I for one, think they are very well known as a must have.. at least on the Lower Cape.

steve
06-23-2007, 12:22 PM
No affiliation whatsoever. I'm just trying to let everyone know just how good this lure is so they can catch a few more bass.

Mike P
06-23-2007, 12:24 PM
they catch just fine, my only problem is with the durability.....trying riggies this year with hopes they hold up better.

oh, and they cost $4/3 pack not $4 a pop

I forgot to mention that aspect. I like Ronz lures, but I can buy a 3 pack of 9" Sluggos and two 5 oz jigheads for the same price as one 5oz ten inch Ronz.

Sluggos are also more durable than Ronz or Hogys.

Pete_G
06-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Steve's post was just a suggestion after a good week's catching.

This, however, is a sales pitch.
:)
That's a 3.5 ounce 9" Hab's being dwarfed by the new Sluggo and a 9" Sluggo for reference. 3 ounces of rubber, unweighted. Available soon. Or whenever Lunker City feels like it...

basswipe
06-23-2007, 01:50 PM

That's a 3.5 ounce 9" Hab's being dwarfed by the new Sluggo and a 9" Sluggo for reference. 3 ounces of rubber, unweighted. Available soon. Or whenever Lunker City feels like it...

That thing would be pissa on a Wobblehead.

numbskull
06-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Now THAT I could cast. :uhuh:

cow tamer
06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
A bluefish bites off the back third of that biggun and you might still have a sluggo worth casting. He bites any further up and your probably out a coupla bucks.
Gonna need a bag just for those bigguns.

flyben24
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
RONZ!!!!!!!!!! the best lure ive ever used

Pete_G
06-23-2007, 03:27 PM
A bluefish bites off the back third of that biggun and you might still have a sluggo worth casting. He bites any further up and your probably out a coupla bucks.
Gonna need a bag just for those bigguns.

Yeah. I've never really gotten too married to rubber because I seem to almost magically attract bluefish. Must be the spots I fish or something.

Rubber sure works though...

ridler72
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
RONZ!!!!!!!!!! the best lure ive ever used

:uhuh:

BigFish
06-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't like rubber....I am a wood snob!:pop:

riverrat2
06-23-2007, 07:39 PM
1 sluggo=1$+2 Gami live baits=2.00+Weights=1$+Dacron=$.25=4.25$ for one rigged slug-O. Ill take the 1.75 eel anyday, no bass will ever refuse a live bait

spence
06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
1 sluggo=1$+2 Gami live baits=2.00+Weights=1$+Dacron=$.25=4.25$ for one rigged slug-O. Ill take the 1.75 eel anyday, no bass will ever refuse a live bait
Well, you also need to factor in that the Sluggo can't die in a bucket in your driveway, doesn't need to be purchased before 4pm on a Sunday and if not damaged during fishing will live to serve another day be it tomorrow or a year from now.

That being said I'm no fan. Granted this probably has to do with my lack of knowledge as to how to fish them properly...but eels are easier :hee:

-spence

tattoobob
06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Nothing beat live bait

Fish On
06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Drumcorpfan, are 9" black sluggo's any good?

Gunpowder
06-23-2007, 11:21 PM

lol uread any of these posts? i think there good but its alll up to personal reference in the long run. some people catch with them, others dont. i like to rig them and then catch with them cause i feel that i have somehow "created" a lure that will catch fish. u can rig them any way but the best way i think is with some 50lb dacron, 2 6/0 octopus hooks, some zap-a-gap, and a needling wire. should be in business with that setup.

Raven
06-24-2007, 04:42 AM
if they were made with the new 3x rubber... for durability.

i've always caught more with the red/black color scheme.

fishaholic18
06-24-2007, 06:03 AM
if they were made with the new 3x rubber... for durability.

But you wouldn't get the same action out of them Raven, the stronger the rubber, the stiffer it is.

Raven
06-24-2007, 06:39 AM
But you wouldn't get the same action out of them Raven, the stronger the rubber, the stiffer it is.

trojans should have that printed on the box.... :uhuh:

but no, i thought 3x rubber was not only more stretchy but more wiggly...

when i fish sluggo's in fresh water i use an eagle claw lightweight hook and let them swim ever so slowly... or glide and they work like magic..
because they suspend real well and the rate of fall is perfect.

Fish On
06-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
lol uread any of these posts? i think there good but its alll up to personal reference in the long run. some people catch with them, others dont. i like to rig them and then catch with them cause i feel that i have somehow "created" a lure that will catch fish. u can rig them any way but the best way i think is with some 50lb dacron, 2 6/0 octopus hooks, some zap-a-gap, and a needling wire. should be in business with that setup.

Gunpowder, inside joke.

EricM
06-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Never tried the red and black, but now I will. Thx!

Anybody have good experiences with all the exotic colors- limetreuse, etc? Looks tempting to me to complement the Black, white, and bubblegum arsenal.

wheresmy50
06-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Just don't let the red/black near anything but all black. They bleed really badly.

The reason I don't fish sluggos more is the fishing style you need is exhausting if you're not used to it. Hunched over shaking the tip and cranking like a madman. Hurts my back.

baldwin
06-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I think it's kinda funny how one guy posts a message informing others on how well he's done with the rigged slug-go, including many really nice fish, and other people have the (fill in your own word) to argue that the lure may not be so good. If Steve catches so well on it, it obviously works. If you're not catching on it, maybe your technique is off. Always take the advice of someone who is so successful. It is true that some people catch on it, and some people don't. Those who don't should listen more carefully to those who do.
I've also seen many people ramble online about how lousy Mambo Minnows are. I've seen many nice fish fall to these lures, also. Don't forget, there is no magic lure that will work right out of the box using any and all techniques. Skill ups the catch ratio, and skill comes only through practice.

steve
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
All artificials will take big bass sometimes. The 9 inch black slug-go will take big bass 99 percent of the time. It is the closest thing to a live eel you can get with a fake. I experimented with this thing for 4 seasons now and I can absolutly state that if a bass is in front of you and your using the slug-go, your going to get action. Case in point-- I've been in to fish on many occasions using the slug-go, taken it off purposely to try one of the other "proven killers" only to be disappointed, then put the slug-go back on and started catching fish again. I know they can be expensive and a pain to rig but they are very , very productive.

partsjay
06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
:lurk:

numbskull
06-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Case in point-- I've been in to fish on many occasions using the slug-go, taken it off purposely to try one of the other "proven killers" only to be disappointed, then put the slug-go back on and started catching fish again.

Which proves that some nights bass prefer one artifical over others, not that that artifical is better than all others all the time. Next night the tables may be reversed, but the guy who sticks to one technique because of absolute faith in it doesn't see it that way. He just thinks there are no bass in front of him. That said, often I'll run through several different plugs without a touch and then move on still wondering if fish were out there but ignoring me. Easy enough to snap on a sluggo instead and make a few more casts........Steve's faith in them is reason enough to try it.

ChiefLinesider
06-24-2007, 01:50 PM
The first time I started fishing the 9 inch sluggo rigged Mckenna style was an eye opening experience. Having gotten stuck in the same routine using plugs & techniques that have been around for 40+ years, It was refreshing to be using something that was so different to what I had been used to. The effectiveness of the Sluggo has proven itself to be a necessity in my surf bag. Like the other lures I still carry, it has its time & place. When the situation is right, it is the only artificial to be using.

If your not having results after giving the sluggo a good effort in productive waters, go to a different spot, or go home. Either you dont know what your doing or there are no fish there, or both. Truth hurts.

Only thing I do differently when rigging it, is to add zip ties around the hooks. Keeps the hooks from ripping apart the body.... For a while

Slingah
06-24-2007, 02:09 PM
what numbskull said........:tooth:

I will always have sluggos with me....they do work.....but there is no such thing as a magic lure......
ya can't force feed a guy chicken if he wants a steak :jester:

Rockport24
06-24-2007, 04:39 PM
sluggos do work and they are awesome and all, but I have had times when the guy next to me is catching on live eels and I am not catching on sluggos. Now I am not talking about the guys next to me killing them, but just like sporadic action compared to skunk, when that is the case, and the fishing is slow, I want a live eel on.
I know Steve has said in his seminars that he won't go as far to say that the sluggo is better than a live eel and I don't think he's said that in this thread.

fishaholic18
06-24-2007, 04:51 PM
:lurk:
How do you figure it's spam??
Steve is not in cahoots with Sluggo in anyway, he's just giving you info(that he doesn't have to give) to try to help out.... Take it or leave it is what I say.

What's up Steve??:wave: :wave:

numbskull
06-24-2007, 06:37 PM
sluggos do work and they are awesome and all, but I have had times when the guy next to me is catching on live eels and I am not catching on sluggos. Now I am not talking about the guys next to me killing them, but just like sporadic action compared to skunk, when that is the case, and the fishing is slow, I want a live eel on.

Then again, I've been seriously outfished on three occassions when using eels by a guy with loaded Rapala slivers, a guy with a fly rod, and a guy with a danny. Once, during daylight, I've had multiple 30lb bass ignore eels and crush a flaptail plug. Many nights I fish with a guy who has seven 50+ lb bass from shore to his credit (most on eels) and often I do as well with plugs as he does with eels. Obviously bait is a surer thing than wood, but when fishing becomes a sure thing a lot of the fun disappears. There is a time and a place for it all.

DRUMCORPFAN
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I like the action of the 9" sluggo, I swear you can feel the flutter on each twitch. I carry 1 med. surf bag for plugs and one small belt pouch for sluggos never get hung up on anything with them too.

Back Beach
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Haven't used the sluggo's too much, but I can say this:
They will work nearly as well as eels if you can keep them near the bottom. Steve has repeatedly advocated getting them down, and has even started adding more weight to keep them there. In the nights I've used them, keeping them down has been the key. When you hear eel fishermen say "retrieve slowly", what you are really hearing them say is keep it near the bottom(strike zone) as long as possible. Steve retrieves the sluggo fast, but it starts on or near the bottom.:rtfm:

The Dad Fisherman
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM

actually the 3x rubbah is more supple than the regular.....and it stretches like you wouldn't believe.

The only "Drawback" (if it is one) is that it is very bouyant

likwid
06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Eben's rubber kills.
And he'll snuggle if you ask nicely. :rotf3:

eastendlu
06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
what numbskull said........:tooth:

I will always have sluggos with me....they do work.....but there is no such thing as a magic lure......ya can't force feed a guy chicken if he wants a steak :jester:

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/thesurfcaster/prodinfo.asp?number=LUSCML

MrHunters
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
well the other day i was on a secret river location with 1000+ of my closest boating friends and they all had their friends... so there were alot of boats who new about this said secret location. :) anyway......

we were chunking for 3 hrs and i only saw 2 dinks get taken...

decided to cast out a bubblegum rigged sluggo and whamo! found a good size blue fish.

do they work... ???welll that day it kept us from getting skunked.

HookLine&Sinker
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
ok, it seems like everbody uses the sluggos to imatate an eel.... i just take it and throw it out there adntwitch it on the top like an injured baitfish... what do you do to make it look like an eel?throw it out there and let it hit the bottom and start twiching it or must i use a jig head and do it another way?

i use theese with no tiny flakes in them

likwid
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
ya can't force feed a guy chicken if he wants a steak :jester:

talk in a soothing calming voice.
works every time. :smash:

Abodeon
06-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Loved the Sluggo this morning at the mouth of a big river. Sand eels everywhere but the sluggo still worked. Best day of the year so far in the we morning hours, thanks to Mr. Sluggo. Bring your bug spray as there are as many sand fleas as sand eels. Fish were right up against the sand in good numbers to 36".

Slingah
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree with getting them to the bottom....load them up with more weight if need be (moving water)........and half way in retrive with your rod sideways as Steve says...I have always done this with Bombers and Mambos as well, that is usually when the stike happens.......IN close!!

partsjay
06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Sorry....didn't mean that.....just meant I'm sitting back watching this "discussion" go down.......I use Sluggo's all the time.....I got no problem with what anyone has said....

Slipknot
06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Sluggos on a jighead get down great, and they catch too. I've had bass to almost 30 pounds on them. I like to use pink too.

I like Ebens rubbah, unfortunately so do bluefish

Chris in Mass
06-26-2007, 05:57 AM
...9" Sluggos and two 5 oz jigheads for the same price as one 5oz ten inch Ronz....

Mike, How do you keep the sluggo from splitting on the 4 and 5 oz heads? Do you use a zip tie or do you use lead that doesn't have a big bait holder? I chop down the sluggo about an inch and still get splits on half to a third - I'm thinking a small black zip tie.

FishermanTim
06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
The Slug-go is my "go to" lure. The key to more consistent action is in the retreive. If I'm fishing the canal, it's "low and Slow", but from a bridge, dock or pier it's quick with a twitch.
I rig them all on lead heads, trim off about 1/2 inch from the front and glue the shaft of the hook. One added plus with Slug-gos is that they can be repaired with a little glue or zap a gap. (Can you put an eel back together?) My typical surf plastics consist of Slug-gos (3,4,6,7.5 and 9 inch pre-rigged) and Storm swim shad (3,4,5 and 6 inch) with a few odds and ends like squid imitations, bass assasis and a castmaster or two. Just enough variety of colors, sizes and lure types to give me a fighting chance.

Mike P
06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Mike, How do you keep the sluggo from splitting on the 4 and 5 oz heads? Do you use a zip tie or do you use lead that doesn't have a big bait holder? I chop down the sluggo about an inch and still get splits on half to a third - I'm thinking a small black zip tie.

Either chop the heads, or take a hacksaw and cut away the collar so that the head of the Sluggo can fit flush against the jighead.

EricM
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
I like the idea there with the ties to keep the hooks from ripping through the sluggo. Anybody ever use something like goop or another flexible glue to anchor the hooks in the body to prevent ripping, or is that just a pipedream?

buckman
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Sluggo's rule. 2 hook rig and unweighted. Bob's bait in Taunton, ma. can make you some and save you alot of $. Any color you want

scoobe
06-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Some company needs to make a commercial, mondo sized plastic that incorporates the things we love about Slug-gos but improves upon the design.

Things I would like to see:

- thicker profile (big bait = big fish, would help resist tearing on barb)
- longer body (big bait = big fish)
- possibly scent
- more supple body

Basically I'd love something like the RONZ but cheaper. It does look like Lunker City is making a larger version of the Slug-go, but the dimensions look the same. We'll have to keep on snipping off the heads.

fishaholic18
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I actually like the Fin-S fish better than Sluggo. Had a lot of success with them.

Nebe
06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Some company needs to make a commercial, mondo sized plastic that incorporates the things we love about Slug-gos but improves upon the design.

- possibly scent
- more supple body

Basically I'd love something like the RONZ but cheaper. It does look like Lunker City is making a larger version of the Slug-go, but the dimensions look the same. We'll have to keep on snipping off the heads.

where have you been?

10 inch surfhog pleasure stick- $1.50 each. scented with bunker oil

saltwater edge has them right now.

ive been working on a batch of 14 inchers as well.. just waiting for some more rubber to show up.

scoobe
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Interesting. I think I remember seeing a post about these a lil bit back. What's the diameter on these things? Fat enough to fit on a 3-4 oz jig head properly? The RONZ's are pretty fat near the head. I don't doubt these will catch, but comfort/confidence in a lure is key. :)

Pete_G
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM

- possibly scent
- more supple body

Maybe the photo didn't do it justice, but the new Sluggo is giant. It's almost triple the the girth of the 9". The 9" just looks like a waste of time next to the new one...

Being into big eels and big baits, the 9 just never really did it for me. I defy anyone not to get excited looking at the new Sluggo in person. :bl: Some will even dismiss it as too big if they don't like big serpents.

Guys who are afraid of blues might not get so excited though. And who isn't.

scoobe
06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Pete, any update as to when they will be in stock?

Pete_G
06-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Pete, any update as to when they will be in stock?

Rumor has it that it's about a month away. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Nebe
06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Interesting. I think I remember seeing a post about these a lil bit back. What's the diameter on these things? Fat enough to fit on a 3-4 oz jig head properly? The RONZ's are pretty fat near the head. I don't doubt these will catch, but comfort/confidence in a lure is key. :)

I designed them to be the exact diameter of the owner bullet heads and also the make your own DO-IT bullet heads which i make for myself..

heres a pic of the 14 incher- the 10 incher is the same diameter.

MrHunters
06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I designed them to be the exact diameter of the owner bullet heads and also the make your own DO-IT bullet heads which i make for myself..

heres a pic of the 14 incher- the 10 incher is the same diameter.
no offense but..........
they look exactly the same :rotflmao:

invisible??

Nebe
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
they are exactly the same... except one is 10 inces long and another is 14 inches long.. same diameter. in the water, they are completely different.. side by side on the same weight jighead, the 14 has a slower fall rate because there is more rubber. If i made the 14 inch one the same dimensions as the 10 incher it would be not have the sexy action that my 10 inch one has

IMO, sluggo should have kept their 12 inch sluggo the same diameter as well.. diameter effects how the rubber dives through the water. I am sure when guys get their hands on them, they will have trouble fishing them the same as a 9 incher.. they're going to require a lot more weighing to get them to dive at the same rates as the 9 incher.. Im not knocking sluggo, they're killer lures, but you cant just make a rubber bait bigger without changing the dimensions and expect it to act the same... personally, if i was going to fish that mongo 12 inch sluggo id rig it on a ball head and somehow rig a stinger hook near the tail... its going to require a lot of lead.

Im not saying mine is better, nor am i saying sluggos are better.. Im just defending why my 10 and 14 inch baits are so alike-

oh wait.... i just noticed i didnt attach the pic.. sorry..

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=21870&d=1180634253

lurch
06-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I was at surfland the other day and they had huge rigged sluggo type lures (not sure if they were actuall slug-gos) for sale but they were selling for 8 or 9 dollars each. I laughed and understood why the box was still full.

scoobe
06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
lurch, did they have tapered jig heads on them and were they in a plano box? If so, they might have been RONZ. They are pricey but great lures.

Nebe, thanks for the photo! They look fatter than I imagined. I don't think the Owner heads come in sizes large enough for me as I use 3-5 oz heads in the ditch. Any chance you can post a photo of them next to a 9" Slug-Go for reference sake? If I can get them on the jig collars without too much rippage, I might just have to give them a whirl!

Also, any big difference between the Pleasure Stick and Trick Stick besides the ribbing?

Terence
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
The ones Lurch saw are custom poured by local Mike who also works at Surfland. He pours them and riggs them himself and fills the box often.

t.orlando
06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
If I can get them on the jig collars without too much rippage, I might just have to give them a whirl!

Also, any big difference between the Pleasure Stick and Trick Stick besides the ribbing?

The big ones fit on regular style bullets.

Nebe
06-28-2007, 06:39 AM

the trick sticks are narrower and designed for weightless finnesse fishing on a offsett worm hook or on a tinsquid. because they are narrower, they have a faster fall rate similar to a 9 inch sluggo...

A round 5 ounce jighead fits nicely on a pleasure stick too..

MartinD18
06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

- possibly scent
- more supple body

Hogys have all these things and their scent can be added and it is absorbed by the baits. They catch! Not cheaper but they are a hand poured bait that is NOT petroleum based and they do not bleed like all the others.

bart
06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Eben's trick sticks work great :kewl:

lurch
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM

I took a 1.5oz owner lead head and attached it to a 10'' ronz and it fits pretty well but the reason why I used the owner lead head is beacuse of the longer hook shank which fits the hook hole on the ronz.

I have a feeling that the 3.5oz owner lead head will fit perfectly on a ronz.

Gunpowder
06-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Not cheaper but they are a hand poured bait that is NOT petroleum based and they do not bleed like all the others.

sometimes the bleed adds that bit of uniqueness that everyone craves :as:

Vogt
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
A word on rigged sluggo durability,

I have a few Mckenna style sluggos that have lasted for well over 20 bass. The more glue the better. These things totally kill.

scoobe
06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
lurch where'd you get the Owners in larger sizes? I've only seen them up to an once or two at the most. How heavy do they come?

Tburg
06-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Lunker City needs to change the way they packege the 9". You get more platic than product...If they put them in the bag style like the smaller sluggos and fit 5 in the bag it would be nice.Unless they already do and I have not found them yet...Hell, add another $1 or 2 and they would still sell and may sell more.....

I like all the other plastics out there but I alway go back to the sluggo. I know a few of them add scent but has anyone tried soaking then in bunker oil bath ???? Would they absord some of the oil and if so It would add to a an already good product..

lurch
06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
lurch where'd you get the Owners in larger sizes? I've only seen them up to an once or two at the most. How heavy do they come?

I picked up a few 1.5oz heads but have not been able to find anything larger locally. I bet that you could search the internet and find the larger sizes.

westy158497
07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Cught a huge fish on the Slug-Go yesterday... It fell apart. If you catch anything over half a pound they fall apart! Ur better off with a jig.

steve
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
In most situations a Sluggo rigged and fished properly will out catch any artificial including the deadly lead- headed bucktail jig. So it falls apart easy- I rather be catching than not. In places where I fish you can throw a jig, danny, needle or any other artificial until the paint falls off and you ain't going to catch big fish consistantly unless you use a live eel or the black Slug-go. That's why it is so good.

scoobe
07-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I've never been so good with plugs and needles, but between bucktails and slug-gos... the rubber has usually produced better.

marky
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
the proof is in the pudding. i picked up some 7.5" black sluggos for the 4th at race point only to use in the dark 3am to 4am and i hooked upon nearly every case .i took the tip from the march (On the Water)article by DJ Muller. for what its worth you cant keep live eels in your bag for months at a time

Joe
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Slug-Go, Slug-Go, Slug-Go
Hey Hog-Boy, where's my Black Scented....dab nab it!

hyefisherman2
07-09-2007, 03:49 PM
sluggos and hogys are sick at night when the blues arnt around

RedHerring
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I actually like the Fin-S fish better than Sluggo. Had a lot of success with them.

I just cannot get too worked up about Fin-S; they don't seem to have the same action as sluggo's. Maybe I am not working them right...

RedHerring
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Every year I am finding that sluggo's are less effective. It seems as if bass are adapting to them. The last two trips in my boat I used sluggos, but my mutinous crew used alternatives. These scurvy, rum-ridden dogs outfished me 5 to one. Sluggo's just don't seem as effective as they used to be. I have a lot of respect for Steve, but at least in my area Sluggos are not getting the job done.

steve
07-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I totally DISAREE! I am AMAZED every time I use this lure. I fish in the surf 100 percent of the time. Boat use is foreign to me.

steve
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Again, I still can't believe that the entire surf fishing community isn't using these things. It has nothing to do with confidence, it has to do with how you fish them and their bass catching ability,-- much like the live eel!

JFigliuolo
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I hate them. I curse them every time I land a bass on them... damn things work well once you get the mojo down.

Rockport24
07-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm going to do an experiment, the next time I'm into fish on eels (which hasn't been lately), I'm gonna throw a sluggo out there and see what happens. I think if the fish are still there, they will take the sluggo. Then I'm going to throw out a regular plug and see if that works. I've already done half of this experiment, in that I've been into fish, then cast off my last eel, then switch to sluggos and continue to catch.

steve
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been experiementing with the sluggo and other artificials while in to fish with some amazing results and only to be very disappointed with alot of the proven "killer" artificials. Where I surf fish it's either a live eel or the sluggo if you want to catch fish consistantly.

Slipknot
07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Again, I still can't believe that the entire surf fishing community isn't using these things. It has nothing to do with confidence, it has to do with how you fish them and their bass catching ability,-- much like the live eel!

Steve, be thankful the entire fishing community doesn't fish where you surf fish ;)

Many do use them, there are lots of ways to skin a cat.
In the canal they need to be attached to a 4 ounce leadhead to be effective when the bass are there and lined up anlong rips on the bottom, maybe on the rare places and times the bass are in close up top you may be able to fish them like you do, but that is not often in the canal.

The cape surf, ya right, again the fish have to be within casting distance or what will you catch? a bluefish maybe, or a seal:smash:
If I ever get fish in close at the beach, I'll certainly give it a try.
In my skiff I have landed nice bass on 7-1/2" sluggos on a small jighead up to 25 pounds so I know they work, pink is a great color:uhuh:

RIJIMMY
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm going to do an experiment, the next time I'm into fish on eels (which hasn't been lately), I'm gonna throw a sluggo out there and see what happens. I think if the fish are still there, they will take the sluggo. Then I'm going to throw out a regular plug and see if that works. I've already done half of this experiment, in that I've been into fish, then cast off my last eel, then switch to sluggos and continue to catch.

I've been staying out of this debate, but to your post above..... 100 % true: I fished a rocky shoreline at night on MV using live eels, must have fished 100 yards without a hit. I knew that had to be fish around, i switched to a black sluggo and caught fish the entire way back along the way I came.

Rockport24
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
ok that's amazing, the sluggo outfished the eels?

steve
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
The Cape cod canal is ONE place my sluggo would be unproductive bcause of all the tide and water depth. I't's not perfect.

RIJIMMY
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
ok that's amazing, the sluggo outfished the eels?

yup, true story.

JFigliuolo
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
yup, true story.

I am not doubting it happened... I'd be more inclined to believe the fish moved into the area on the walk back, or you weren't hiting far enough out w/the eel. I doubt the slugg-o could outfish an eel. At it's best it could hold it's own.

I guess anything is possible though.

RIJIMMY
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
sure, could have been any of those things. I think it might have been presentation too, slow moving eel vs. fast jerk bait, different part of water column

Clogston29
07-10-2007, 02:57 PM
the fish may have just been up near the surface (where the sluggo is) and not the bottom (where the eel is)

the other night I was fishing point with eels with no luck. I kept wading out further and further with the tide with no results. then I saw a bass tailing about 5 yards from me. I cast the eel past him and brought it in on top - he took it. Got about 5 more bass, up to about 20 lbs, fishing the eel on top. Threw in a few traditional eel presentations with no luck during the time I was getting em on top. just goes to show that you never know.

By the way, I'm a big fan of sluggos and probably would have put one on out there to see what happened but I was out to deep to get at my belt bag.

Rockport24
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
that sounds like a dead-on theory to me. water column placement is sometimes the most important thing. I've experienced that same issue with schoolies, my usually deadly jig and cocochoe rig got no hits, but a popper slayed em.

cow tamer
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, the sluggo is also a bluefish magnet. This season I have had more sluggos chomped than fish caught. My guess is the same could be true were I fishing eels.

steve
07-10-2007, 03:33 PM
No slight intended, but I think alot of you guys are missing or even belaboring the point which is basically that I've had really unbelievable success with the 9 inch rigged and weighted black sluggo over the last 4 season and just wanted to pass it along to those who are still unkowing about it's bass catching abilities. Night in and night out no one will convince me that another artificial will out fish this lure. Amen!

fishaholic18
07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
No slight intended, but I think alot of you guys are missing or even belaboring the point which is basically that I've had really unbelievable success with the 9 inch rigged and weighted black sluggo over the last 4 season and just wanted to pass it along to those who are still unkowing about it's bass catching abilities. Night in and night out no one will convince me that another artificial will out fish this lure. Amen!
Atlantic mossbunker is all you need....:humpty:

Rockport24
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah but us poor shmoes fishing from land need to fish sluggos

Mike P
07-10-2007, 04:54 PM
The Cape cod canal is ONE place my sluggo would be unproductive bcause of all the tide and water depth. I't's not perfect.

True, but my Sluggo (glued to a 4 oz head) works pissah :D

Skitterpop
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I sent a few emails to Herb`s company a couple of years ago highly recommending a 12 to 13" and a 17 to 18" version..... never heard one word back even as a courtesy or to tell me to flake off :hihi: .

davgor
07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I like the Ronz better. Better results for me. less rigging.

fishaholic18
07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
yeah but us poor shmoes fishing from land need to fish sluggos

Sounds like U need a boat ride...:hee:

JoeP
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Sluggos/Fin-S-Fish & similar soft plastics are - in my opinion - the best artificial lure you can use in the vast majority of conditions (other than in certain isolated circumstances when they can't be fished for some reason - usually castability). I use them rigged weedless weighted with inserts for the surf or weighted with heavier worm weights in current and they produce consistently (when there are fish around of course, unlike now...)

I've been fishing them in the surf since the early 1990's when I first tried them out on the flats of the north side of the Cape. We were sightfishing to large schools of pretty skittish bass in broad daylight and you could see the bass swim away from most plugs, swim up to & then turn away from plugs, etc. - BUT slam the sluggos either unweighted or weighted on jigheads. It was night & day & I've been using them as my main surf lures ever since.

RedHerring
07-10-2007, 09:37 PM
OK, I will keep trying them, but the last two times out other rubba has outfished the sluggo's 5 to 1. And it is not because I am googan with a sluggo; normally my rum crew is ready to make me walk the plank because I catch twice as many fish as they do when we are all using sluggo's (as we did two years ago).

Quick question: If I run out of eel skins, can I use a rubber condom instead?

Terence
07-11-2007, 01:58 AM
OK, I will keep trying them, but the last two times out other rubba has outfished the sluggo's 5 to 1. And it is not because I am googan with a sluggo; normally my rum crew is ready to make me walk the plank because I catch twice as many fish as they do when we are all using sluggo's (as we did two years ago).

Quick question: If I run out of eel skins, can I use a rubber condom instead?

No, Use a Lamb Skin.

Rockport24
07-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Sounds like U need a boat ride...:hee:

Is this an offer, because I'll take one!