View Full Version : Shimano Spheros....

ripitsik
06-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I own a Spheros 8000 and I have had it since this past March. I have only fished the reel for about 15-20 times this year. A few weeks ago I noticed that the lower lip of the spool began to corrode and everytime I come home from fishing, I dip the reel over night in a bowl with soap and water to get the salt off my powerpro. No matter what, I began to notice that it's starting to spread . Luckily I called Shimano and they are sending me another spool(best customer service I ever experienced with fishing). My question is, what else can I do to reduce the chances of this h appening with the new spool that is comming? Is there other line that is just as good as powerpro that does not hold as much saltwater ? Anyone else have experiences? Did I get a bad egg?

Pete_G
06-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't submerge that reel when cleaning it. Just a quick rinse at the most, or just a toweling down with a rag with some WD-40 or similar if it was a night where the reel didn't really get wet. Other then the drag the Spheros isn't waterproof so it may not respond real well to water on the inside, even if it's sweetwater. The submersion may even be contributing to the corrosion.

Sounds like you just got a bad spool though. Hopefully you'll make out better with the new one.

You could try something like Salt-X as well if you wanted.

ripitsik
06-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Its weird because I never submerge my reel at all. The only time it gets wet is because of the line when reeling. Other than that it never gets wet. Im sorry I didnt mean I submerge the whole reel, I only take the spool off and submerge that, sorry about that. I also notice when I dump the water is green from the line. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

flyben24
06-23-2007, 07:05 PM
my reels have always stayed fine with a quick rinse of H2o

capecodkid
06-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Ya I always just give a quick rinse to all my reels, including my spheros. Make sure your not using to much pressure. That can push salt deeper into the reel. Just a very light rinse.

Slingah
06-24-2007, 12:44 AM
same thing happened to me....it's the salt.....rinse it more....lightly as stated

jets80
06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Do not submerge your reel in water..The best thing you can do is whipe your reel down with a rag soaked with wd-40, dont spray your reel with 40 because it will remove greese...Just whipe down the reel and put it away it will be fine.

EricM
06-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I think you got a bad egg - I have had a spheros since 2003, and even though it isn't the most heavily used reel in my arsenal, I have had not a single problem with it ever. I rinse it lightly when I am done using it, nothing more.

basswipe
06-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Owning a 1st year production Spheros and having next to no problems with it.Maintenance is the key dude and not the way you're doing it.My original spool is going on 8yrs,no probs.

Remove spool and mist everything down.Let dry.Squirt exposed and moving parts with WD-40(bail screws,anti-reverse etc.).I'm also a huge fan of this product:

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/MarineTufCloth.shtml trust me on this product.