View Full Version : Any advice on PFD's

basshunter
06-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been hearing a lot of bad stories about anglers that are not prepared when something bad happens. What is a good PDF to wear when wading and kayaking that isn't too bulky or obtrusive?
Are the manual inflatable things reusable or are they throw-aways once you have to inflate them?

johnny ducketts
06-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Get the suspender type ones from, mustang, stearns, west marine.. they aren't bulky and don't get in the way. you could probably go with the hip pack style for wading as well. You just need to get a 33 gram co2 cartridge to re arm it if it goes off. A really sound investment all around.

ilovetwofish
06-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Whats the price tag not that anything that will save your life is to expensive.

flyben24
06-24-2007, 08:14 AM
i have one of the west marine automatic inflatables... its worth the extra money, since theyre comfortable and you dont have to worry about pulling a cord if you fall overboard like on the manuals. And you just have to put in a new Co2 if it goes off.

eastendlu
06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I picked up a pair of Sospenders i got the ones that are both you can set to manual or autoinflate.I almost got taken out last year in a strong current at a spot i fish.I keep them in my truck and if i even think its bad they go on from now on.

ridler72
06-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I wear a type III P.F.D. on the kayak at all times. Comfortable to cast with but if I was surfcasting with the long rod I would go with an inflatable type V to have full freedom of movement.

Swimmer
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I haven't fallen overboard or taken a dunk since I purchased my SOSPENDERS, but if I do (and I know I will) I am damn well ready. Worth the money. You can always arm it for manual if you think wading deep will set it off. You just have to have a plan if that happens. My wife demanded I get mine after a particularly eventful week of fishing on the Vineyard. Kenny Scwamm, or rather his family, wishes he had one on.

likwid
06-24-2007, 01:01 PM
I was on the rocks last night and I can tell you I was super gunshy without them on. Bashed my shin only once but was still gripped. :sick:

EricM
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Timely thread. Much appreciated.

Clueless
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Do the autoinflating ones run the risk of inflating if you take a good wave?

likwid
06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Do the autoinflating ones run the risk of inflating if you take a good wave?

Not the hydrostatic.

And the bobbin based need to be submerged to fire.

RIJIMMY
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Whats the price tag not that anything that will save your life is to expensive.

I just got a west marine, made by stearns for $100

MakoMike
06-25-2007, 11:40 AM
The truth of the matter is that the more like any given device is to save your life when you need it, the more bulky and uncomfortable its going to be to wear it when its not needed. If you want ultimate safety wear a type I PFD, if you want to be comfotable wear nothing. The range in between is where the problems arise. The sospenders and similar devices will save you if your are concious and can help yourself, if you get knocked unconcious nothing but a type I is goping to save you.

Al in Westport
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a Stearns and a Sospenders. I like the Stearns better as it seems to lay a little flater. It's a little less in the way. Both are manuel inflat. The next one will be one of the new hydrostatic.

Al

Clueless
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
So for a non-boat guy, auto probably makes more sense if you're in situations where you're likely to get knocked off a rock or jetty and crack your head. If you're wading on sand you can probably safely get away with manual?

I ask because I bought my Dad a manual inflatable for Fathers Day. He's strictly an on the sand guy, but he fishes alone at night in a few fast current areas. I'm thinking it might be handy if he steps into a hole or off a bank that's steeper than he thought.

MakoMike
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
So for a non-boat guy, auto probably makes more sense if you're in situations where you're likely to get knocked off a rock or jetty and crack your head.

If go into the water unconcious you're likely goig to wind up dead, unless you're wearing a type I, most if not all of the others will not keep you upright with your breathing apperatus above water.

Clueless
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
If go into the water unconcious you're likely goig to wind up dead, unless you're wearing a type I, most if not all of the others will not keep you upright with your breathing apperatus above water.
Got it, thanks :btu: