View Full Version : beach fishing with eels

GonnaCatchABig1
06-26-2007, 04:33 AM
i've got two of the suckers left. (they aren't going very fast 3rd day with em) so figured i would get rid of them in a few hours. head down the street and fish the beach. it's not gonna be a super fishing adventure either. not gonna carry all my junk a mile down to the rocks. just a basic "it's nice out and the beach is right there" kinda trip.

last night the birds were once again taking sand eels left and right. so i have some what of high hopes. even though these are american and not sand. :rollem: . my question is.. a combo.. will they bother taking american eels when sand eels are around? and if not, should i take my lil rod out and try catching/snagging the lil sand buggers? or just forget about it cause it wont happen?

eelman
06-26-2007, 05:36 AM
An eel will work no matter what the bait is in the area, so yes I would fish that eel with the utmost confidence...Never leave home without them...........

DaveSimpson
06-26-2007, 05:58 AM
You must let us know how your fishing trip went, it's always great to know how things panned out!

Dave

HookLine&Sinker
06-26-2007, 06:40 AM
my theiory is....

yes they would take it.... bigger bait...

baldwin
06-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Take them out fishing and let the bass decide. They don't read the same books that we do.

capecodkid
06-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Eels always work. No matter the bait. I've caught fish on eels when they were feeding off a pogie school.

5 String Bass
06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
It's probably just me, but I have had s$%t luck with them at the beach, that is.. they just tangle like crazy. Good luck. Any tips on eel fishing at the beach would be appreciated.

Notaro
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
did that before, but no hook-up. then i switched to using a needlefish or a bomber. so far it works for me. i got some bump from the bass on an eel tho. but i got bored with it...

GonnaCatchABig1
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
welp.. so far no good on eels. (sorry i came back and feel asleep, damn this heat) i've got one left. so will hit the normal spot where the fish are guaranteed to be in the area.

i was thinking though.. since i havent gotten anything with the slow retrieve.. or the usual fish finder rig, and dead sticking. i am gonna throw this last one on a bunker rig. and dead stick him. that spot is almost entirely a small-medium size rock bottom. unless you get it out into the eegrass flat (where most of the fish are) figure if i get him up floating over the top.... well you know..

any way while soaking up the rays today. i spent alot of time reading the water.. and i realized.. i really have no idea what i am looking for. i mean i've walked that beach at all tidal phases so i pretty much know whats what.. but come higher water i can't make any sense of it. beyond splashes and watching birds, i can't figure out crap. i read that rather lengthy post a few weeks back about reading the water.. wasn't very helpful. as it pretty much just described the features to look for. but beyond goin at low tide and looknig at charts never really said how to find em. what do the differences in water color and ripple/ wave action mean?

i am fairly sure that the lighter water would be sand bars. but then again i also saw what looked like one of the tidal channels and it was the same color as the sand bars. with the same top action.. can any one pleeease help out with a fairly good list of what features do what to the water?

ADD ON: this is not just pertaining to the beach. i need to learn how to read the water everywhere

Sweetwater
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
An eel will work no matter what the bait is in the area, so yes I would fish that eel with the utmost confidence...Never leave home without them...........

Believe what #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& says....he's got the fish to prove it.

Gunpowder
06-26-2007, 07:09 PM
any way while soaking up the rays today. i spent alot of time reading the water.. and i realized.. i really have no idea what i am looking for. i mean i've walked that beach at all tidal phases so i pretty much know whats what.. but come higher water i can't make any sense of it. beyond splashes and watching birds, i can't figure out crap. i read that rather lengthy post a few weeks back about reading the water.. wasn't very helpful. as it pretty much just described the features to look for. but beyond goin at low tide and looknig at charts never really said how to find em. what do the differences in water color and ripple/ wave action mean?

a nautical chart is a must to take a peak at before u fish the area where u are fishin. and to go along with that, with the invention of google earth (probably a gov. run site to make sure everyone is being good :pop: ) u can take a look from a satellites perspective of the fishin spots that u will be goin to.

GonnaCatchABig1
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
a nautical chart is a must to take a peak at before u fish the area where u are fishin. and to go along with that, with the invention of google earth (probably a gov. run site to make sure everyone is being good :pop: ) u can take a look from a satellites perspective of the fishin spots that u will be goin to.

i've got the chart.. and thoroughly went over the area on satellite images maps. i pretty much no where all the major trenches and points are. i can't get to half of them :\ but i was speaking more along the lines of what the water is doing. what certain ripple patterns mean or lack there of etc etc.

ALSO: skunked again today. missed a really really good blue. he just grabbed the bottom half. but he ran with it good. he felt huge for the 3 seconds i had him on. when i got my bait in, it was clean cut with only about the top 1/4th of it left. cleanest cut i have ever seen made by a fish.. might have been a small shark but that would taken the whole thing i would assume..