View Full Version : Schoolie Monster

Got Stripers
08-15-2002, 08:05 PM
my gs email is down, so I'd like to know if you got my last email. Are you interested in getting together Sunday, maybe even fishing together? If not let me know if when you want to get together and pick up your rubba bubba.

If your tied up, anyone else up for a boat ride Sunday?

schoolie monster
08-16-2002, 11:38 AM
GS, I just got back to work today and hadn't checked email at home. I was bed-ridden the past two days with severe back pain. I have no idea what I did to it, but I have spasms and shooting pain down the back of my legs... so the doctor said most likely the Sciatic Nerve, but they can't be sure????

Not sure why I bother sometimes. I don't know, I've tweaked my back enough times to know this is a different animal.

X-rays didn't show any structural problems which is cool.

Anyways, considering that walking is bad enough right now, I'm probably on the shelf for the weekend as far as fishing and bumpy boat rides go.

But if you think you'll be around after fishing, maybe I can swing by pick up my order. You think you'll be getting out Sunday?

Oh yah, the email did come thru.

Got Stripers
08-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Spider webs are getting thick out in the boat shed, I need to get out Sunday just to grab some sanity, so yes I'll be around. If you want to meet me at the ramp later in the day let me know and I will call you (which number) when I'm close to heading in. Sorry to hear about your back, knock on wood my lower back hasn't acted up in years, but I know how much that s**ks.

schoolie monster
08-17-2002, 09:10 AM
And in a rare event, I am on from home. Had to check an email, so I dropped by.

GS, my back is remarkably better this morning. I'm not sure yet, but I might try and get out tomorrow. Let me know if you're going out by yourself and how long of a day you might put in. I probably wouldn't last an all day session. But if you're still looking for a fishing partner, I might be in.

I'll check the board later or give you a call.

Got Stripers
08-17-2002, 09:45 AM
In this heat I'm not planning any all day marathon either. I will shoot for a 4am launch and 12 or 1 pm being back on the trailer, so if that works give me a call at the office number and I'll call you tonight to work out the details.

Clammer
08-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Bob,short day?? 4 to 1 on a Sunday in the summer !!!!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

schoolie monster
08-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Had a good morning yesterday launching in GS' boat out of Scituate. The weather was pleasant (cool morning), the traffic was light and the fish cooperated.

We fished alot of rocks and ledges and some areas had fish, some didn't. Generally, if there was one fish, we'd pick up a few. Bob was throwing a pearl split tail and I was throwing a smoke jerkbait.

We had some decent action with schoolies right as it started to get light. Then we bounced around a bit picking off a few bass and blues.

We moved in to fish an area closer to shore and ran into a nice blitz. That's where my line troubles began. I had lost half my braid on a fish just before we moved. I think the line was wrapped around the tip when I set the hook. We got into the blitz, I picked up my other rod with a topwater plug. After not hooking up despite being right in the fish, I decided to re-tie my other outfit. Very tough with GS hitting fish. My casts were into my mono backing and I immediately hit a fish... and my connection knot failed. I then put a jerkbait on my other rod and shortly had a keeper sized fish on the teaser. After a couple minutes, the teaser line snapped. Admittedly, I hadn't retied that rig for awhile, but come on.

During all this, GS caught a bunch of fish... I finally got a couple before it all ended. We were still marking fish, so GS dropped one of his 8" smoke grubs and trolled it with the electric trolling motor. Well, after he hit about 4 fish (3 keepers), I decided to tie one on. I think we each got one more fish before that bite ended.

I was very impressed with the grub, either slow trolled or retrieved right along the bottom. It has great tail action and produced the bigger fish for this trip. This the second time he's used these when we fished together and I think at least half the fish its produced have been keepers.

We hit a few more ledges and had a couple nice flurries on the way back to port and topped off the trip by each getting a fish on our last stop.

GS had between 20-25 bass and a blue, I "landed" 10 bass and two blues and by my count, broke off 4 bass, and got bit off once. I was very competitive with the jerkbaits, but GS worked that grub to perfection and put me away adding insult to injury by catching all the bigger fish. Just when I thought I'd closed the gap a bit, he comes up with a new secret weapon.

Again, had a nice morning and enjoyed getting together... and I have to admit, just like a couple weeks ago with Fisherwoman and Baitcaster, it was nice to get toted around and not have clean up the boat when I got home.

Got Stripers
08-20-2002, 04:18 PM
I enjoyed our morning together, you better get that equipment in order or at least have 2 rigs good to go. I always have a spare rod rigged and ready, especially where the braid is concerned.

You are not a jedi right, young Greg, but the force is strong with you:).