View Full Version : Getting a newbie a fish

Rockport24
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey guys, a non-fishing buddy of mine wants a taste of the striper life. I want to take him out surfcasting and I would really like for him to catch a fish, so I ask you this, my fellow fanatics, what is the best method for getting a newbie a fish? I am thinking of just chumming and chunking off the rocks. I was also thinking eels, but I still miss hookups on eels and I don't want to frustrate the poor guy. edit: I am not talking keepers here either, schoolies would do just fine.

The Dad Fisherman
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
You know where to go......Herring is King :hihi:

I've been picking up some schoolies on topwater there too....

Did you warn him that if he chooses the "Blue" Pill there's no turning back

Squibby17
06-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I took a friend out the other night we soaked some clams on the bottom and got a bunch of 20-24 inch fish and enjoyed a few cold beverages, I think he had a good time as he asked when we could go again.

That's generally not my type of fishing but it was a fun time, and we got fish too

cardnial77
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
before you head down to your spot. take your friend to a ball park or a field and show him how to cast. that will save you some possible headaches. chunking, is great for new guys. but can get boaring. mabyee show him how to use a castmaster of bomber. both easy to fish lures.

BigFish
06-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Topwater is perfect for newbies! Pencils, spooks......tin is good! Its much more fun than sitting there with a hunk o' bait. Hit a couple fishy spots and work as much water as you can.....you are sure to hook up but make it early morning or sunset.....its gonna be hot and bright!:cool:

JohnR
06-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Instant Fisherman Maker - Storm Shads - just add water...

Rockport24
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
thanks for the advice guys and you are right, I may not be able to shake em if he catches a fish on topwater!! he's gonna want to go all the time, he has a very addictive personality. I introduced him to skiing a while ago and now he talks about our next ski trip in July :rocketem:

fish4striper
06-26-2007, 10:14 AM
perfect schoolie recipe with the possibility of hookin something large :smokin:

Instant Fisherman Maker - Storm Shads - just add water...

fishbones
06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I used to take newbies out and troll tubes or umbrella rigs to pick up a fish quickly, then let them reel it in. Then, with the skunk out of the way, I would go to some reliable spots and fish plugs while drifting. I nevery used bait because it takes practice to learn how to set the hook. It can be dissapointing when something picks up your bait and then you miss the hook-set.

Finaddict
06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I think topwater is a great way to introduce newbies to stripers ... granted, you can get them to manage the rod and reel first ... but what I have done in the past is set them up with an easy outfit to manage, not too big like a 9, 10 foot pole, rather a schoolie outfit ...

... don't make the access to difficult as that can hamper their desire, which you may want any way ...:smash:

... head to a spot that has been producing some nice schoolie action, with the possibility of a keeper-size schoolie (28-30) ... you know the spots from fishing with doc, TDF and yourself ... and then rig the rod with a floating plug ... either a Smack-It or a small danny as not too much is required to work those ...

... obviously the pop with the smack-it and the ultra slow retrieve with the Danny will make the stuff work ... tin/metal is another good alternative as they are steady takers ... catch him a dozen or so schoolies and call it an evening/morning ...

... if you want him to stop bugging you to take him fishing, go at midnight or 1 a.m., take him on a trecherous rocky area and give him a productive but difficult lure or bait to fish so that it turns him off. :rotf2:

The Iceman 6
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I should of took the red pill.

Rockport24
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
thanks for the advice Andy! i think I may give top water a try with him... and I'll be sure to make him meet me at 1am :hihi:

ChiefLinesider
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM
If they can cast, put on an atom popper. If they cant cast, teach them how.