View Full Version : Low Idle Stall

MarshCappa
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha, 2000. I had it serviced at the beginning of the year and probably have put maybe 10 hours on it. If I haven't run it for a week or longer it will start no problem but then putz out when you engage the prop. I've been letting it warm up awhile at a higher idle and then it kicks in after a stutter and then she's good to go. I was thinking the low idle jet may be glogged but I find it hard to believe after not putting that many hours on it and having a new fuel water filter installed.

Beamie knows what I'm talking about! Any ideas?

Raven
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
pm sent

Motor Fish
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Any luck resolving this? I'm having a similar problem and would be interested in knowing how you fixed it.

:thanks:

MTC
07-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Junk in the carbs...

remove the carb drain screws and drain into cup... spray carb cleaner into holes... pump gas to flush and put screws back in. Get new gas in your tank also...

If this will not work you will need to remove carbs and clean/rebuild

Smokey14
07-04-2007, 06:17 AM
I had a similar problem.If it's old gas in the tank it could be as simple as replacing your old for new. I've noticed the gas in my tank left over from winterizing was a bit foggy even with stabilizer. The thing is, the new formula with 10% ethanol we get at the pumps attracts water like a sponge and doesn't let it go in the water separator like it used to. Not a problem for short time but over the winter allot of condensation can build up. I drained my 21 gallon tank and refilled it and no more hesitation or stalling while I'm trying to troll. I ran the old stuff in my wife's minivan. Apparently what she doesn't know didn't hurt her.:btu:

moosh
07-04-2007, 11:44 PM
They sell a gas addditive to put in youre gas to cut down on the water build up from the ethanol , you can find it at west marine, and I change my water filter twice a year now istead of once..I had the same problem with my suzuki 60 four stroke ..works fine now..good luck ..

MarshCappa
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I want to add something to the tank that Raven is pitching and which I think might do the trick. I had it out all morning Sat and the afternoon on Sun for a total of 8 hours. It isn't a show stopper by any means more of an adjustment because it runs great at top speed. I trolled very low idle with it on Sunday for 5 miles and it ran fine.

freebie
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
carbs need to be cleaned, should only need to do itonce if you replace the needle and seat and eveything with new "ethanol proof''' gaskets etc