View Full Version : Penn AF report?

Sgt_Nutz
06-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Has anyone tried the Penn AF (Afinity) yet? Price wise it is around the Stradic range. Penn site reports a metal body. Looks like it would handle braid decently. Or is this just a cleaned up Captiva?

fishbones
06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I would be very wary of any new Penn models. They have been living off their name for the last 10 years or so. The last 3 Penns (all SS models) I bought have all had problems within a year, and that is with much more care than I have given any of my other reels. They just don't make them well anymore in my opinion. I would wait until they have a track record of performing well before purchasing any reel, especially a Penn.

flyben24
06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
iv never had a problem with penn reels.... always work, and last forever

Gunpowder
06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
iv never had a problem with penn reels.... always work, and last forever

those were the old ones bennster :tooth: :tooth: :tooth: , the new ones arent made the same but are still nice in my opinion

flyben24
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
iv got some newer models as well and never had a problem

cardnial77
06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
the word that i have gotten, is that they are not made by Penn. but contracted out to Ryobi. the tool people

fishbones
06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
the word that i have gotten, is that they are not made by Penn. but contracted out to Ryobi. the tool people

That explains the problems I had with my compound miter saw.
Seriously, I'm not familiar with the AF's, but as I mentioned before, I've had bad luck with the SS models. You might want google the AF's for reviews. I ask guys who run charters for bass & blues when buying reels because they use ones that will be reliable and work well with minimal maintenance.