View Full Version : Success rate so far......

Flaptail
06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Well the season has been on for the better part of 2-1/2 months here on Cape Cod. How is your season matching up to your expectations as far as personal bests go?:huh:

So far I have : A bass over the 20 pound mark in the canal on a plug
A 23 pound bass on the fly rod
A 35 pound bass on a plug casting to the rocks along
the Elizabeths
Experienced a blitz of bass and some larger Blues off of the beach in Truro.
Delighted in listening to Numbskull whine about needing a fish fix.

How is your season progressing? :huh: Mine is so far okay could be a lot better though.

BigFish
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Could be alot better especially the past 3 weeks have been tough! Early season was better than the last couple years! Hope the Cape is as you say Flap....gonna be down there for 2 weeks starting Saturday!:wiggle:

BrianS
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
0/8 dating back to June 6th (5 canal trips, 2 outer cape, 1 newport)

before that - a few dozen fish with a few to 27".. but thats it.

I suck - and there is no releif in sight unless the canal grants mercy on me this weekend.

Sluggoslinger
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Started strong in May with lots of keepers then went slow for about 3 weeks. 6/17 I got two keepers but I earned them after fishing all night before that. This weekend I didn't get much but I also had some friends down who are more interested in the beer in the cooler then the fishing. From here on though I expect to have fish every trip through the summer.

JFigliuolo
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Largest for the season is 19 lbs. VERY slow fishing...

flyben24
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
rough.... got off good... my boat was running for 3 weeks, then crapped out, but i still managed to get a bunch of keepers, a 28# and a ton of schoolies

capecodkid
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Season started off a little late for me. Started good, now its slowed down. Pretty sad that my biggest fish is only 20# for the year so far.:rollem: Hopefully tonight will get some fish.

HookLine&Sinker
06-27-2007, 10:30 AM
nothing yet......

Swimmer
06-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Could be better.

Slingah
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
could be WAY better.....
started out good....then stopped.....not me just the catching part

ilovetwofish
06-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Started good been slow latley 5 fish between 28 and 32 inches biiggest 20 pounds plan on getting a couple of bigs on eels this weekend.

MrHunters
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
had one really good day the rest not even worth mentioning...

when i get back to the ramp most times the kid working says everyone has the same story.... don't know what's going on around here.. but it ain't for lack of trying. :huh:

DZ
06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I’ve had some good stretches… and some poor ones. Kind of a typical May/June pattern which I’ve witnessed for the past few years. I make my “educated” decisions based on past experience and sometimes I win - other times I don’t catch – but still win because I got out and learned something. That is the essence of surf casting and I’ll keep practicing until I get it right.
DZ

EarnedStripes44
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Have not had much luck landing large bass from the shore this season, but I did a catch a few sharks, and boy do they fight....

Slipknot
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
A bass about 29 inches not pounds on a plug in the canal, one about 15 pounds on a jig in the canal

nothing on the flyrod

Still waiting for an opportunity to cast plugs along the Elizabeths

experienced zero blitzes

Still hoping for the opportunity to fish with Numbskull

managed a few decent fish from my boat, 2- 25 lb (one on a Ryan Smith swap plug) and a half dozen 15lb or so, on plugs and sluggos, many many schoolies.

tried live bait fishing pogies for the first time, got a decent one about 20 lbs, screwed up the first 2.

caught 2 stripers from the beaches this year, 20 inches and 14 inches whoppeee , i suk

I hopefully will find some blitzes this year, if not I will concentrate on work and making money while I can still stand up straight.

fishpoopoo
06-27-2007, 03:33 PM
+ several 15-20 lbers from a boat (chunking menhaden in southern new england waters).

+ from the surf, some cocktail blues on topwater plugs.

+ one deeply gut-hooked asian s-b member. :tooth:

striprman
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Fish 2, striprman 0

numbskull
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I've caught some real nice weeds and had a good pull on a rock lately. :rude:

tattoobob
06-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I have had some great times fishing with my Dad, I got one fish 29 inches, at the lawrence Dam herring run, and 2 15 inch schoolies at Cutty. I am having a better time chilling by my pool.

shadow
06-27-2007, 05:07 PM
should be alot better,a 13,18,25# fish this year all on eels and that is it other then some schoolies and I been at it harder then most springs.:af:

Karl F
06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
pffft.. see the are you fishing more or less thread..

had a blast with my son one night last week, with small fish, chasing big plugs.... and one Very Large Seal :eek5: ..

was just so good to be on a beach, throwing plugs with him again :uhuh:... been too long, as life pulls us in different directions.. so.. in that way.. I would say it was a Great Success :)

rizzo
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Overall, below average year, but a handful of nice fish. Putting in a lot of time and trying to figure out some patterns. Like DZ I've been making "educated" guesses trying to elliminates places that just don't produce bigger fish through different winds, weather and times of year. With the help of the log (my most valuable piece of gear that I own) I have found a few places that work very well under certain conditions. I'll beat these spots into the ground and it will pay off eventually. Gotta put in the time.

Might I add due to a relocation in work I am not fishing places I have for the past 10 years so I'm back to learning spots. Nothing beats putting in time and its amazing how the same rules of thumb hold true. Learn how the fish act, put some thought into things, and observe what is happening = consistency. I've stopped making excuses. There are many times that I beleive the fish just aren't there due to whatever reason, but when they are I'll connect.

I believe too many wait for reports, many times it is too late and exagerated BS anyway. Too many aren't willing to put in the time and sacrifice that will equal success, especially for the bigger fish. Have to enjoy the pain and suffering of failure and learn from it. I'll be the first to admit I strike out a lot as far as quality goes, but I make sure I learn from it. Thats the great thing about fishing, the more you put into it the more it gives back.

jim sylvester
06-27-2007, 07:52 PM
good year overall so far

besides a 2 week stretch of el skunko, its been a productive year in the surf

with all the bunker up in the bay and poor shore access, i got a little worried, but things started to change

41.88 lb
32.80 lb

and a bunch of fish in the 20-27 lb class range

luds
06-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I picked up a new spot that has produced well as far as numbers and plenty of keepers so I'm hoping at some point it will hold big fish. I should probably be there right now.:poke: It's amazing because it's an obvious spot but nobody fishes it. Not too far from shoulder to shoulder action either. :humpty:

As far as size I am doing poorly but I think they will come. I only have one fish over 20 #'s :blush: I've been fishing 100% surf.

luds
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
good year overall so far

besides a 2 week stretch of el skunko, its been a productive year in the surf

with all the bunker up in the bay and poor shore access, i got a little worried, but things started to change

41.88 lb
32.80 lb

and a bunch of fish in the 20-27 lb class range

Nice Jim. Congrats! Makes what I just posted a little harder to swallow but at this point I do think I'm at a little bit of a geographic disadvantage. Hopefully my time will come and soon.

Diggin Jiggin
06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm having a very good year so far but I've put in a ton of time too. A lot of what I've learned the past 2-3 seasons seems to be paying dividends.

I've done well on my plugs and my jigs so that's been very satisfying.

NEXT2NUN
06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
I didn't think last year could be topped. but it looks like another great year. Over 350 stripers so far, caught my 23rd keeper tonight. Two fish over twenty pounds. Havent even thought about my fly rod yet this year. Headed to Cutty mon-Tues. Peace

bill huki
06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but this is pathetic. Cape Cod....the best striper surf in the world and look how bad everyone is doing. Think back to the good old days. not the 70's but the 90's and early 00's and what you use to catch by this time of year. How did the RI shoreline fish. How about the CT river. It's really sad and I do not think we have it the bottem yet.

ChiefLinesider
06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
have caught more 20-30 lb fish than I caught all last year. My total numbers have got to be higher now, then they were by september of last year. Fishing more than last year....

BasicPatrick
06-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Moving to the Cape I had high hopes. with most of my work back over the bridge I find my self fishing a little less. shorter trips while trying to learn new spots is kind of stinking right now.

so far:

A ton of dinks from both boat and shore

Some decent keepers from shore with the best being 19 pounds.
( a few great new spots in the book)

I have done better from the boat with the best fihs around 25 pounds but still not good enough.

bought a new camper so when the beaches open up we can be out all weekend when not running charters

GonnaCatchABig1
06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
5/30+ trips resulting in 9 bass and 1 blue, a pout, and an eel. and bunches of skates. (of course)

no keepers. nothing even really close. i think 21-22" was the biggest.

NIB
06-28-2007, 05:09 AM
32,28.5,26.5...I had a 500 lb morning.Other than that it's been a pick.I had a dozen fish on eels over the weekend.
Did not go monday morning when I got a call.:(
My brother an partner just got over some knee surgery so I had been doing double time at work.I really need some time off.
Road trip coming up..

Backbeach Jake
06-28-2007, 05:13 AM
NIB I had several 500# days That would be 100 X 5#.:spin:
Year, so far is equal to my better years. Good sized fish in close.
I missed a blitz in my own backyard , ya killing me Flap..

NIB
06-28-2007, 06:03 AM
It was so easy after 4 hrs.I left em biting..
I wish I had a plug with no hooks on it.
I'm sure I would have landed a few swallowers..
One of the 2 kids that came up on me when I left flagged me down a few days later to tell me he had one 41 lbs...

johnny ducketts
06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
started off fine, but now I fear I'm rapidly becoming the worst teammate in striper cup history!

sorry guys.

keepers 0
Schoolies, too many to count,
bluefish, too many to count

whiplash
06-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Really good start April /May a couple of 32"+ in May not big fish but great numbers in April . June- 2 keepers and slow until I went to Sag Harbor NY not much in the south side surf and zip at Montauk but great action in Peconic Bay- Bass to 34" weaks to 29" and monster blues. I get home and I must have steped in something because I'm 0 for 5. I'm off next week so look out fish!!!!!!!!!!

massmike
06-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Started off good on the Ct. River whole month of May--fish to 36 pounds --lost some dandies--night fishing mostly, or very early a.m. before work. Area from Holyoke, Ma. to windsor Locks, Ct. Fluke fishing so-so in R.I., but tube and worm Napatree area was a blast--had a huge fish try to eat a 17" schoolie at boatside--soiled myself.

basswipe
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
For me its been horrible.

The fish are there,but I'm just missin'!The "Curse" continues.

massmike
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
May was good on the Ct. River--best fish 36 pounds on a Atom 40 pink/pearl. Most fish caught at night from Holyoke to Windsor Locks; although keeper size bass were common at first light on pencils. Went to West Dennis beach for a couple tides in early June--bluefish everywhere on top water stuff--Fluing in Charleston R.I. so-so; tube and worm effective at Napatree--had a very large bass try to eat a 17" schoolie boatside--soiled myself. Fishing so far not great but not bad.

partsjay
06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Very good start..best in a few years....haven't been out much in the past 2 weeks......This weekend I'll start pushing it again...

Moses
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Started later this season compared to last. I usually fish some rivers/estuaries along southern buzz bay, lots of fish just all small.

Canal produced fish but again not the size I got last season early (May/June). Biggest fish so far in the canal is shy 40" and ~20lbs.

Tried fishing live bait from the boat, mackeral off of Plymouth and pogies in Narr Bay. Had more luck fishing the pogies but again no big fish for me. Although my brother did well with fish over 40" not lbs.

CCBay my last two trips produced big numbers of fish but no size, one fish to 37", the rest all sub legal.

Vogt
06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
I started really early this year. I was into keepers right away on bucktails and sluggos in the rivers. I moved out to the sand in early May, to throw tin and plugs etc. We continued to score keepers, tons of blues and a few weaks. So as far as bass go, I have some 28"ers , a handfull of 15lbers, and a decent 20lb fish. Not to mention 245 schoolies.

Back Beach
06-29-2007, 04:52 AM
About 15 fish from 18-25#. One fish @ 34# -all caught the last week of May from shore in the daytime.
Didn't do any schoolie fishing this year.
Haven't been out since June1, probably 2 more weeks til I return.
I hear its been slow, but everyone said the same thing last year and I manged to pick nice fish all season. Stick to the night eel fishing, take your skunks like a man, and be patient. That's what this time of year is all about.

NIB
06-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Hey Mike,Looks like ur set up for a big draw(hook).
Did u top it in the pond. When I come up I wanna play a round.
Nothing serious a little 2 a side, 2 down automatics,Hogans, greenies an birdies....

Flaptail
06-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Gentlemen, just a reminder, golf is not spoken here.

Back Beach
06-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Gentlemen, just a reminder, golf is not spoken here.

"I think it is" :laugha:

steve
06-30-2007, 07:53 AM
April and May were very good with 2 fish in the low thirties and several from 18 to 25 lbs. June, however, has been a bust. Only 14 bass in 12 trips with a 28 lber being the best. I hope things get better!

spence
06-30-2007, 08:29 AM
June, however, has been a bust. Only 14 bass in 12 trips with a 28 lber being the best. I hope things get better!
I think back to the other week when I was catching bluefish...man, those were the days.

-spsnece

DaveSimpson
06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Overall, like many others here, my bass season has been pretty slow. I've had a few in the 10-15lb region but thats it. No monsters. Not brilliant but ok for the amount of times I've been fishing.

I never get too disheartened though and tend to switch and mix my fishing up regularly.

Got Stripers
06-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Considering last year I was fishing out of a 16 foot Basstracker aluminum rig, I couldn't be happier. I'm catching, best to date is only in the 30lb range, dropped one larger, no big blitzes to speak of, but all in all I'm happy to be back out on the big pond.

ridler72
06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Shut out last night during an eel run. Other then that it was a great June for me. New personal best on a fly rod 46", and picked up one on a trolled eel 48". No weight taken, all released. The Poagies are here and I just got done building a live well for the kayak. Hoping for a tow to England! :claps:

Smokey14
06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
2 in the 30" range just after mothersday up in the charles river about 300 feet from the watertown herring run. then nothing. Not many chances to get out but I also had a good time chillin by Bobs pool.

saltfly
07-01-2007, 08:10 AM
No complaints;all daytime sight fishing in skinny water lots of fish to stalk.watching 40+" fish sliding down the flat in knee deep water,all to have a 20" fish grab the fly first.Night fishing coming after this cycle of tides.