View Full Version : Tons of fish....JELLYFISH!!

EarnedStripes44
06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Fished a few hours in South Boston near the World Trade Center. No fish, but a ton of skate. There were Jellyfish everywhere, EVERYWHERE, hundreds of them. I was once told if you see a lot of Jellyfish, you'd have better luck in your toilet. I guess that old man was right. Why the overabundance?

UserRemoved1
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Interesting...I find the exact opposite. When I find jellyfish I find the striper fishing is awesome. Something I noticed a few years ago. If you see a spot with tons of themwhite see thru jellies then I always find stripers there.

EarnedStripes44
06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Interesting...I find the exact opposite. When I find jellyfish I find the striper fishing is awesome. Something I noticed a few years ago. If you see a spot with tons of themwhite see thru jellies then I always find stripers there.

Well I'll try again tonight. See how it goes.

Raven
06-27-2007, 09:52 PM
one day wading out to the boston whaler
i got stung in both arm pits by jelly fish
and i couldn't put my arms down at all

i had to tie my wrists together and keep my
hands over the top of my head
for days on end. :realmad:

GonnaCatchABig1
06-27-2007, 10:41 PM
depends on the season i suppose.. i have had alot of luck with stripers with jellies around. one thing i've picked up on though is that where the jellies are the water is usually very warm. come mid july and august maybe too warm for the stripers. but right now if i see jellies i get excited cause it's means the water isnt an ice bath..

BasicPatrick
06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
the boston Harbor Jellyfish "bloom" is a phenomenon still being looked at by scientists. I saw a segment in a discovery channell program a few years ago and thought, hey, I have been there. My experience is that this "bloom" is so thick that we can not net bunker when the "Bloom" happens. It also seems to happen on the hottest nights. Usually it is in August. this time of year would be very very early.

plankton
06-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I was fishing in a river on the north shore the other night and noticed a great deal of the white/clear jellyfish in the water, something I have never noticed on this stretch of water before. I don't know what that signifies ecologicaly, but the fishing was still pretty good.

stripersnipr
06-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Do all Jellyfish sting?