View Full Version : how big is too big for eels?

GonnaCatchABig1
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
sooo i was invited to the meeting tonight.. by more than one person. but gas was low, and my original buddy to go with couldn't make it. so i figured forget about it, i'll go fishing. catch the next one. glad i did. was some damn good fishing with no one around but me.

anyway... after to quick fish.. i started getting greedy, upping the size of my chunks. until finally i was throwing out whole clams. when BAM!!! what ever it was, was big and heavy, taking line, the whole nine yards.. and then i see what it is... a fairly large eel.. maybe the one i tossed yesterday grew up. :laugha:

so anyway. it conveniently hooked itself through the bottom lip. so my instant thought was... i wonder if i should live line this.. but i figured a 2 1/2- 3' 10lb eel was to big.. but was it? would a monster 50 or 60lbs bass take an eel that big?

this brings me to my second part.. i was fishing with none of my gear. just my rod and left-over clams.. so i had to get my hook back.. now i am covered in eel slime and it doesn't seem to want to come off. any suggestions?

p.s.- the fish are still biting but i had to leave due lack of bait and funds :(

Smokey14
06-28-2007, 06:42 AM
That's a big eel. Why not, what have you got to loose. Only problem is the eel might eat the striper first.

John E
06-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I've seen monster bass slurp down eels like that before around the docks in LI.

Skitterpop
06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Not too big at all.... just awkward to toss from shore :bl: Boat would be easier to lower but its still doable from shore.

If a 25# Striper can swallow a 4# horse mackerel then.......

FishermanTim
06-28-2007, 11:17 AM
As for the eel slime, if you're on a beach, rub it off with sand, and throw the sand back into the water to add some "chum" to the water.

daceman63
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
I caught one like that from the docks at Thomas two years back and by the time I realized I should have left it on the hook I already released it. :mad:

EarnedStripes44
06-28-2007, 01:25 PM
You know an eel that size is great on the grill.

EarnedStripes44
06-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Summer before last I stayed with my sis on Manhattan. I use to fish battery park a lot, caught lots of eels, some of them to 3 feet. They are a good bait to chunk if they are that big and the skin is tough so they stay on the hook.

redcrbbr
06-28-2007, 10:24 PM
i'd fish it, worse case a blue chews it.

jimmy z
06-29-2007, 03:16 AM
The bigger the better.
My dad had a boat years ago in Sheepshead Bay, Bklyn. Right behind the boat, we would set out lines and load up with eels. I mean big ones!
When I was younger there was no such thing, on my dad's boat that is,
as using a small eel.