View Full Version : what bait should I use (plz answer quick I want to fish tonight)

stars'nstripers
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
hey ok..... I will be fishing off of a jetty at 6 pm. its like15 feet deep. Small current. Their are bass upto like 25 inches..... So my question is what is the best chunk bait for me to use. (I would expirement but I dont want to spend 50 dollars on bait when I dont have to.

cardnial77
06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
if you are on the jetty that i think your are. north side dennis, on a certing harbor use sand eels. that area is loaded with them right now

fishsmith
06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
a seaworm or a clam or a chunk of dead fish sold at a bait store or a squid strip. point is your fishing for schoolies which are hungry fish and they'll eat anything. if you're using light gear, skip the bait and fish a small swimmer.

Slipknot
06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
can't go wrong with a piece of squid

25" bass? crush your barbs

GonnaCatchABig1
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
sorry to say it bud. but we can't help ya out. unless you spot burn. but dont do that.

the bass are very finicky, and certain baits work under certain conditions in certain areas.

i can say your best bet, pick up some clams (they are fairly universal) and 1 or 2 macks and 1 or 2 pogies. if they are feeding on fish they will more than likely take a mack or pogie. otherwise like around here, they are feeding off the junk at the bottom. so they will take clams.

people can say how great a bait is working for them. but in a different spot, you wont catch jacksh*t.

if you don't know what they are taking... ask at the bait shop.(with in the general area of where you are fishing) and just to be sure get a little of everything the first few trips.

we have been fishing the same spot all year. we still get a variety pack atleast twice a week. just to see what they are feeding on. glad we did. last night they went from their month plus of only taking clams to completely ignoring clams and demolishing macks. and today, right back to ignoring the macks and hitting nothing but clams.

Gunpowder
06-29-2007, 03:04 PM
dog fish chunks :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

EarnedStripes44
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Squid: This is a very universal bait. Any fish, from sharks to schoolies to fluke to scup will gulp (or nibble) down a chunk of squid without hesitation. You can damn near cast a chunk of squid to Portugal and it will stay on the hook. The only thing with squid is that it becomes washed out and lacks much of the fish attracting scent as other baits. Also, skates love squid, and I hate skates. On the other hand, strips of squid on a hook create a very attractive fluttering motion. One of the few baits that freeze well. After all, another name for Bass is a squidhound.

Mackeral: A very good bait. Oily flesh that attracts large predatory fish. If you are fishing north of cape cod, it is the most commonly used striper and bluefish bait, as fish in water less than 65 degrees tend to show a particular affinity for it. Just make sure it is fresh. Spoiled mackeral won't do much for you unless your catfishing. The first time I used mackeral, I hooked something so large it spooled all of the line from my reel and this was only after 10 minutes fishing in Boston Harbor from the shore.

Pogies (Bunker, south of R.I.): Best damn fish bait you can buy during the midsummer doldrums when the big girls come out to play at night. Very oily fish, even more so than mackeral. Great fish attracting ability as the bait emits a slick once it touches the water. Also if you have extra, chum some of it. Its a very good way of bring predators into the swim.

Seaworms: Great bait for schoolies and fluke, and can last a few days if kept cool. If your targeting bigger fish however, go with a fish bait or eels.

Eels: Hands down best bait for big bass. Fished live over rock outcroppings, these things are striper candy or is it more like crack. If you are fishing eels and don't get a strike, its because there are no fish around. They hold very well on a hook and are extremely durable. You can catch several fish without changing out the bait.

Clams: Good bait, bass can't seem to resist that gooey belly, and bluefish don't seem to want to be bothered to much with them. Just make sure they are fresh. I have had great success with clams on a beach after a storm.

Shrimp: I have caught stripers on shrimp, but that is mostly in warmer waters in Virginia and North Carolina where I fished for drum. Eels love shrimp however, and you can use those eels for bait (if they are too big, eels can also be chunked).

Lobster: Check for legality. I saw bass, several feet long, gulping down dead lobsters underneath the piers of James Hook Lobster Co. in downtown Boston. So lobster is definitely a great bait, only rivaled by live eels.

GonnaCatchABig1
06-29-2007, 03:34 PM
edited down to nothing for space saving

great write up. and i would agree. except where i fish everything is the exact opposite of that. the blues here love the clams. the big bass just recently started hitting fish. but loooooooooove clams. and as for eels being crack.. i guess all of our fish went to rehab. we fished them for three days with every rig possible.. not a nibble. not even the blues would touch em. when 10 ft over they were nailing them with clams.

it was a great summary of baits though, very nice info. but like i said the bass can be finicky. what works for some won't work for others. AT ALL. really just get out there and see what the fish in the area are taking. clams and eels are the money suckers. so picking up some mack and pogies on top of them is nothing. spend about $20 on bait and your all set. also if your feeling adventurous. one of the left out baits was herring. you can get a box of 50 for like $20. just make sure you plan on fishing alot if you go that route.. we ended up dumping about 20 of them last week. just cause some guys was nailing them one day.. next 3 days not a nibble.

Goose
06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Have you been fishin 57 days?:hee:

GonnaCatchABig1
06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
i've only missed about 6 days in since the second week of may. often getting out two times a day. being between jobs leaves alot of time for fishing.