View Full Version : The Best Laid Plans....

nightfighter
06-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Got up at 0300, started coffee, and woke 14 yr old son and his buddy, who had slept over. OJ and blueberry muffins for them as I loaded drinks, bait, etc. Down to the dock, row out to the boat. Flip battery switches two clicks, and go to lower the engine. Nothing.... It's now 0325 and the boat is dead as a doornail..... I must have left the switches in the on position last Sunday...probably shut them off twice....Now I'm going nuts...and can only blame myself.
So drive them back home, after rowing back in an explaining the situation. (Don't I feel like a jackass at this point)
So I hit the surf alone by 0415, and plug, and plug, rotating though complete surfbag. Nothing, except a beautiful sunrise, and a view of the fleet headed out to Stellwagon and bass spots..... Home by 0630. So how's your day?
Going to look into a battery booster pack, when the rest of the world wakes up.....
Just shoot me, please:nailem:

niko
06-30-2007, 06:24 AM
i've had a few of those mornings myself early in the season - i feel your pain. there is nothing worse than realizing you are the cause of the problem. i've looked at a few of the battery boxes. most i've seen are 400 or 500 amps. i wonder if that is enough are more amps needed? sorry, not to hijack your thread.

MrHunters
06-30-2007, 06:32 AM
nf,
that is the biggest thing i worry about when im heading down to the launch. Man that is tough story...Next time will be better... it can only BE better... at least that what i used to say with my old 1976 merc :)

not to sound like a jerk, but this happened to me last week...
did you have the safety ignition clip in (not sure what the correct term for that is, lanyard??) I was so used to keeping the key in it on my old boat that taking it out after every trip, i forgot to clip it back on one early morning.

sometimes it's that simple....

ps glad you have a dry boat cause it coulda been a lot worse!

fishsmith
06-30-2007, 07:35 AM
been there done that. good for you casting a line anyway, the day can only get better.

nightfighter
06-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Yah, that lanyard/safety thingie...the service company put a wire tie in that for winterizing etc. I just left it in there, so not a brain fart issue on that one....
Got a booster pak from WestMarine ($59.99), charging it now. Try it this afternoon, after I collect some accounts receivable, so I can take vacation this week!

fishaholic18
06-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Got up at 0300, started coffee, and woke 14 yr old son and his buddy, who had slept over. OJ and blueberry muffins for them as I loaded drinks, bait, etc. Down to the dock, row out to the boat. Flip battery switches two clicks, and go to lower the engine. Nothing.... It's now 0325 and the boat is dead as a doornail..... I must have left the switches in the on position last Sunday...probably shut them off twice....Now I'm going nuts...and can only blame myself.
So drive them back home, after rowing back in an explaining the situation. (Don't I feel like a jackass at this point)
So I hit the surf alone by 0415, and plug, and plug, rotating though complete surfbag. Nothing, except a beautiful sunrise, and a view of the fleet headed out to Stellwagon and bass spots..... Home by 0630. So how's your day?
Going to look into a battery booster pack, when the rest of the world wakes up.....
Just shoot me, please:nailem:

Happened to me once, never again. Dual batteries on an isolator switch and a jump box in the car at all times.....

Slipknot
06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
My day started last night when I woke up at 11:30 after less than an hour sleep in Wellfleet after watching Papalbon made anther save, I then headed off for the surf for the drop. First spot Mac is there gimping and he has already tossed everything in his bag, nothing :( so I make a few feeble casts and we both head back to the lot, he stays and gets some shuteye, I leave to drive on someplace, hit the whole beach, nothing but weeds and no signs of life, I air back up at sonnys and head to the race, park and walk out, try for a while , maybe got one hit on a mr wiggly, pink and white, but maybe it was my imagination, so I give up after a while and head elsewhere to try a spot with the wind in my face, nothing but weed so I head to cahoon hollow to make a few casts before sunrise, get there at false dawn, nothing on top, then mr seal pops his head up:gorez: :behead: I start to see fish signs and bait, downsize my plug, get a hit, put on a storm shad and get one tiny bluefish, get disgusted after tossing metal and other stuff and leave at 5:30am, make breakfast and pass out. now back home I have some work to do. I should have tried the canal and stayed home. the beaches suck, new moon, full moon, inbetween moon, doesn't matter = the fishing out there whacks it :( I can't seem to be in the right place at the right time for anything this year or last year for that matter.

ProfessorM
06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Sorry Bruce. I hit the usual place at 4 this morning and fished the end of the outgoing way out on the flats. Tons of fish but nothing over 28 but that is ok because i expected that and had light tackle . raked some of the nicest sand eels i have seen in a while and fished the incoming for another ton of fish to 28 inches. Beautiful day and home by 2. Time for the hammock. May shoot for some fluke early tomorrow at a southern location before all the people churn up the channel and try and swamp me.

justplugit
06-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I should have tried the canal and stayed home.

Oh man, Slip, don't we all go thru that, "the woulda-shoulda-couldas. :(

nightfighter
06-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Booster pack from WestMarine was the cat's pajamas. Was supposed to chage it for 24 hours, but it only got 6 hours. Fired it right up! It was selling for 79.99 in store, but they matched the online price of 59.99! Two:kewl: :kewl: If you don't have one, I recommend this product.

WestMarine didn't have anything for dogfish though......