View Full Version : sense of smell?

striperjerk1
08-17-2002, 11:31 AM
you know we all use are senses for fishin, sight fish looking for birds, sounds of fish slapping the water at night. how about the sense of smell? can you distenguise hmmm:confused: the smell of bait oils that is coming to the topwater when youre other 2 senses isnt at work?or there are no visible signs?:) or in other words can you tell the fish are there by smell alone?

Saltheart
08-17-2002, 11:38 AM
I can sometimes smell if theres lots and lots of bait out there but seldom actually smell the digested stuff which bass poop out when feeding heavy. Most of the time on the coast its too windy so you can't smell much.

The animals smell it though. Look for skunks and foxes. They will be smelling out stuff washing in which sometimes means bass or blues feeding out in the water.

In the day time , watch the terns. They will see action long before you and the gulls do.

striperjerk1
08-17-2002, 11:45 AM
i wonder if i can get a dog trained for that?:smash:

Saltheart
08-17-2002, 11:53 AM
I bet you could but you'll be taking home a dog who smells like skunk a lot cause they'll be crossing paths a lot! :)

striperjerk1
08-17-2002, 12:00 PM
lmao. yeah i guess that would be the bad part. say can you tell me the manufacture of the orca.? short memory sometimes

Saltheart
08-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Mitchell Orca.

Scotch Bonnet
08-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Go down to the RI coast now and see what dead starfish smells like:(

DaveS
08-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Ditto to what SaltHeart said, I too can smell baitfish like menhaden, 'specially when "Marge the large" is chasing them around. It's kinda like a "fruity" aroma I guess.

striperjerk1
08-17-2002, 05:04 PM
to me it smelt like sweet and sour watermelon. lol:laughs:

surfmung
08-18-2002, 02:45 AM
YOU GUYS CAN SMELL BAITFISH IN THE WATER???

...I CAN'T EVEN SMELL FROZEN BAIT ONCE ITS IN THE WATER AND YOU GUYS CAN SMELL LIVE BAITFISH???

shore manic
08-18-2002, 07:28 AM
easy jedi, as the folks around here say you must crawl before you can walk!!!!!! the force must be with you.

surfmung
08-18-2002, 10:48 AM
I'M JUST TRYING TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT

I CAN SMELL LOW TIDE

I CAN SMELL THE BAIT ON MY HANDS

IF I'M SNAGGING LIVE BAIT AFTER A FEW CATCHES I CAN SMELL THEM ON MY HANDS BUT TO SMELL A SCHOOOL OF LIVE BAIT??????>>>

I THINK THATS A BIT OUT OF MY SENSES>>>

WHAT DO YOU MEAN >>JEDI<< AND WALK BEFORE YOU CRAWL

Saltheart
08-18-2002, 10:58 AM
Most people can smell it. They just don't know that is what they are smelling. Most often you smell it at night when there is a light breeze coming in. As I said , if its more windy , you won't smell it. I would describe it as musty musk?? Know what I mean?

DaveS
08-18-2002, 11:18 AM
I am Obi Wan.............................. lol.

Canalratt1
08-18-2002, 11:23 AM
After a while you will be able to smell the smell! Be patient Grasshopper!

DaveS
08-18-2002, 05:40 PM
smells like..........victory

beachin3
08-18-2002, 06:13 PM
thats funny you guys are talking about smelling fish i play games with friends i take fishing with we will be walking down the beach and someone will say we fishing here or down further and ill say no not here down further as im smelling ill say can you guys smell that there reply is what, ill say the fish and you always have someone say yea'' i smell them too'' yep this is where they are lets fish here them not knowing there is a huge drop off that almost always holds fish as we are reeling in see told you so know i have a few buddys out smelling for fish :D