View Full Version : Washdown Pump

zacs
07-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Seems like I am spending more time fixing my boat this season than actually using it.

The crappy Shurflo Blaster crapped out after less than one season usage.

I opened it up and it was so corroded and siezed up. I am going to complain to Northcoast about using such junk pumps.

After some reseach on the net it seems to be typical for these pumps to sieze up fast.

I just bought a jabsco parmax 4 as a replacement. Hopefully it will come soon!!!!

ProfessorM
07-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Boats are a lot of work for sure. Just be glad you are handy or it would cost you a fortune. I canned the same pump this year. I will not replace it as I didn't use it that often. I will use a bucket. Much easier and cheaper. Just not worth the hassle IMO. Good luck.

Uncle Matt
07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
My pump is more than three years old and starting to act up. It looks like this summer I may have to replace mine as well. Let us know how the new one works out Zac.

teaser
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a Jabsco and it's original to my boat which is a 1991 and the pump still works like the day it went in. I guess it's because I don't use it all that often, I'd just rather dump a 5 gallon bucket of water on the deck. The other reason I don't use it that often is because the nozzle is always caked with salty crust and becomes a pain in the a$$ to clean up so I could use it, so yes ... bucket is better for me.

Van
07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
My boat came with one (Shurflo) from the factory, it lasted about 7-8 seasons.
I replaced it and this one has been going for the last 5-6 seasons.

Maybe it lasted because I always pump the water out of the system
when I put her in the slip.:huh: :huh: Dunno, but I'be been very happy with it and I use it alot.

MakoMike
07-02-2007, 06:30 AM
The problem with most of the SW washdown pumps is that they can't stand getting wet. I've had a sureflow in my boat for about ten years now and it still runs fine. That's because it stays dry. If you have to locate the pump in an area where it is going to get wet use the rule washdown pump. Its a PITA to rig beacuse the inlet hose is so big, but its the only one that I know of that can get soaked and keep working.

eelman
07-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Boats are a lot of work for sure. Just be glad you are handy or it would cost you a fortune. I canned the same pump this year. I will not replace it as I didn't use it that often. I will use a bucket. Much easier and cheaper. Just not worth the hassle IMO. Good luck.

I also use a bucket, works great and its quick and easy, once back at the Marina a fast hose down with the freshwater hose...One less thing to worry about breaking.

Van
07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
The problem with most of the SW washdown pumps is that they can't stand getting wet. I've had a sureflow in my boat for about ten years now and it still runs fine. That's because it stays dry. If you have to locate the pump in an area where it is going to get wet use the rule washdown pump. Its a PITA to rig beacuse the inlet hose is so big, but its the only one that I know of that can get soaked and keep working.

AH HA maybe MM hit it right, mine is mounted inside way up by the cockpit. It never sees spray and looks it too.

ProfessorM
07-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I also use a bucket, works great and its quick and easy, once back at the Marina a fast hose down with the freshwater hose...One less thing to worry about breaking.

Mine rotted out in 2 years, but did get wet all the time. It is the only place it can be put so I can't see putting another one back there. I like the KISS method and the less electrical things I have the better and as stated above 1 less thing to break or replace.

zacs
07-02-2007, 09:52 AM
it is also my livewell pump so it is used often. i have only used the washdown maybe twice.

ProfessorM
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
That is a different story. I guess I would replace it

parker23
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
My pump just died last week. This is the second pump in 3 years.
PIA. Does anyone know of a good installer dude?

Is there a better pump on the marlet?