View Full Version : Is bigger really better?

EarnedStripes44
07-02-2007, 02:28 PM
What do you guys think of maximum size limits? I was told that big females are key to maintaining maximum stock populations because the volume of eggs released during spawning directly correlates with the size of the fish, as bigger fish (yes, those 40lb cows) possess exponentially increased reproductive prowess in comparison to those school girls. What say you there?

chris L
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
too easy but it is a family site . So I will keep my jokes too myself .

striperman36
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
I have always thought a slot limit with a trophy clause, such as 1 over 45

EarnedStripes44
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
too easy but it is a family site . So I will keep my jokes too myself .

LMAO

patpatriot
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
hahah, this thread could of headed south in a heartbeat. The larger female stripers do drop more eggs than smaller counterparts.(website showed 40#+ lay in the area of 4-5million and schoolies 4+ years around 900thousand) For a shore guy like me a slot limit would seem rather unessesary, 40#+ would be a lifetime shore catch. i couldnt imagine that this would be one of the better ways to control the stock.

baldwin
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Not only are there more eggs, but in many fish the larger females also produce larger, more viable eggs. Those eggs also may contain the genetics for larger fish.

Nebe
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I have always thought a slot limit with a trophy clause, such as 1 over 45

I would love to see this as well. From the Chesapeake to maine... wait Maine already has a slot limit..

pmueller
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Slot limits seem to make alot of sense. For some reason from a fisheries perspective it did not. We had it in CT for a couple of seasons but for some reason we had to switch back.

numbskull
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Big fish produce more eggs....even if they spawn less frequently which some claim (but I doubt)

Big fish have the genetic traits that let them grow large. Killing them selects for a population with genetic traits to stay small.

Every big fish that is killed is one less out there for the rest of us to catch a second or third time. The world is a better place with more, not less, 50lb bass swimming around.

Other than personal glory, there is NO reason to kill a big fish. There are plenty of smaller ones to eat, the neighbors won't starve without you, and unless your living depends on product endorsements, parading around big fish as a testament to your manliness borders on the pathetic.

Consider it, do yourself and others a favor, please let them go.

stripersnipr
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
What do you guys think of maximum size limits? I was told that big females are key to maintaining maximum stock populations because the volume of eggs released during spawning directly correlates with the size of the fish, as bigger fish (yes, those 40lb cows) possess exponentially increased reproductive prowess in comparison to those school girls. What say you there?

Yes, but those big females have a very difficult time getting those eggs fertilized unlike the school girl sized females. :laugha:

capesams
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Well! I have to say after chasing fish for 40 years, I love to see everything from 30lbs an up tossed back. Everything else is fair game for the table.

ilovetwofish
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Release the big keep the smaller ones.