View Full Version : Lost my first tuna....due to my knot.

jmonte45
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
How pissed was I, took my first tuna trip this morning in my boat, finally hooked up.......then snap.
We launched out the east end, and headed out with intentions on bass fishing with the tube-n-worm. Well, that lasted about 15 minutes after we spotted breaking fish. When we pulled up to them, we quickly realized they were tuna. (no lying, there were about a hundred of them) We quickly put the trolling rods away, and re-geared for tuna. Within 20 minutes, my buddy was on. After about a 15 second run, it snapped him off. Within another 20 minutes, I was on. It ran good for close to 30-40 seconds, we started the boat, was about to chase him down, and like I said, my knot broke off at the swivel. We proceeded to find tuna all day, but couldn't get the bite, my buddy got one more hit, but didn't come back for it. I think I am hooked now, all my ambition is now geared towards tuna. I have never felt anything on my line like that fish today before, it took out about 100 yards of line in no time.
That's my story, now I have a couple questions.
What knot are you guys using? (I used the improved clinch knot)
What are you guys throwing at these tuna? (I got my hit on a yellow gibbs pencil, and also tried deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s, needle fish, etc.)
Finally, are these tuna really this skiddish? (I can chase down blitzing bass and bluefish with no problem, but these fish wouldn't stay up long once I got to them. I was also keeping my distance, making sure I didn't get too close.)
Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated, to help improve my new-found-sport. Good luck guys, plenty of tuna in the bay. :kewl:

Raider Ronnie
07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Here you go
http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm
For larger gear crimps and chafing tube.

fishsmith
07-04-2007, 06:31 AM
in step 2 of the link ron gave, I do two overhand turns, I use the palomar about 99% of the time.

it might not of been your knot. These fish have sharp little teeth (more like bumps but I'd guess they're teeth) so your line might of been frayed, unless you saw the squiggly curves at the bitter end that only a loosened knot can make.

nautibuoys
07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Pick up a copy of this month's Saltwater Sportsman. Tells you how to tie a series of knots (double Palomar, Stren, Bimini, Surgeons, Cancun, etc), especially the braid to mono/fluoro knots. Plus it tests their breaking strengths. Some surprising results pro & con.

Had good luck with 50lb Power Power to a fluoro leader for spinning and use Yozuri poppers, Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&'s, Braid, Yozuri or diamond jigs (sugggest upgrade the hooks to Owner 4x).

jmonte45
07-04-2007, 12:51 PM
in step 2 of the link ron gave, I do two overhand turns, I use the palomar about 99% of the time.

it might not of been your knot. These fish have sharp little teeth (more like bumps but I'd guess they're teeth) so your line might of been frayed, unless you saw the squiggly curves at the bitter end that only a loosened knot can make.

I would agree with you, but my swivel and leader were both gone. Pretty positive it was my knot, but I will try the palomar knot. Gonna try and get back out after the 4th to give it another shot. I have the whole week off, so hopefully I can get into them again. Good luck everyone, and have a safe 4th.

Hooper
07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Bimini? It looks far more difficult than it really is