View Full Version : When the going gets tough what do you do?

DZ
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
When the going gets tough what do you do?

When fishing gets tough (actually the “act of fishing” is constant – it’s the “catching” that suffers) I’m often asked how I’m doing and how do I fish these periods. You surf fishermen know what conditions I mean – when you’re faced with a bright full moon, flat calm surf and seemingly no fish. Success during these periods is relative – that is to say what one caster might say is a good night, others may say it stunk. Fortunately for me I’ve been around surf casting for over 30 years and I have approximately 224 full moon periods under my korkers. Here are some helpful hints that I have learned over the years that may get you some action in the surf.

Use a dropper or teaser when the moon is bright and or the ocean is flat – if bass are present they are often very finicky during the moon. Short strikes on your plugs with little or no hook-ups should signal to you it’s time to tie on a dropper. Droppers will often take most of your bass but there are also times when droppers will prompt strikes on your plugs.

Downsize your plugs – when the fish are just nudging your 7 inch Redfin or Needlefish it may be time to downsize to a 5” fin or stubby needle.

Perhaps the greatest bit of advice I give is to “tie direct” – which means using no leader whatsoever. I use 20 pound mono and often tie direct when plugging or eeling. Tying direct during full moons has greatly increased my catches. Many times bass will nudge your plugs or “grab and drop” your eels when using a traditional shock leader – take that leader off and tie direct and catch those fish. Tying direct has one draw back - it will force you to use more care when landing fish in rocky environments but that is the price you pay for action.

One more thing, these tricks may also work anytime bass are finicky, full or dark moon.

What do you do?

DZ

luds
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a tendancy to focus more on eels than plugs during the full moon. If I do decide to fish plugs I like white or silver chrome finishes.

Silver chrome bombers have been a great full moon plug for me. I've also been successful with white needlefish. Particually Hab's and Afterhours.

Steve K
07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I downsize my offerings, use lighter leaders (flourocarbon) and less hardware, and sling eels.

EarnedStripes44
07-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Teaser goes a long way on a full moon. I concur.....

Flaptail
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Get drunk and chase women?:huh:

Diggin Jiggin
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I just put on a heavier jig :)

Flaptail
07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Acvtually when the going gets tough I retreat to the boat, get my fish fix and then head back to the beach. Tying direct is one tactic but on the outer Cape in the country I like to fish I play the moon not the tide. The shadow line theory works and tide has lttle bearing on it, it's that dark shadow that creates a sense of security for the bass.

Lure wise I might scale down or then agin I might ramp up. At this time of year 9 times out of ten it will be a needlefish, something I know that is near and dear to your heart.

Rockport24
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
great post DZ, thanks for the advice. I needed that advice for this past weekend though :wall:

the tie direct thing is very interesting and I will try it.

steve
07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
YOU CAN'T CATCH WHAT A'INT THERE!

In The Surf
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Learn to understand the timing of moonrise and moonset. The moon will rise and set at certain times just like the sun. Based on this it is possible to fish moonless periods of darkness. They may be after sunset or before sunrise. I believe tonight the moon rises around 11:30 pm and will set tomorrow around 10:40 am. This would be an evening to fish from sunset on for a moonless dark period. I also would try areas with good movement of water and deep water close by such as outflows, jetties, breachways, the mouth of bays and rivers, etc...
We touched on in the past about knowing spots and ones to avoid on a full moon low tide and like Mike said using eels more around the bright moon. When possible I would also employ other methods mentioned like fishing shadow lines and using light colored plugs.
Also knowing what bait is present and presenting/mimicing something similar.

JLH
07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Fishing shadow lines on bridges has paid off for me when the moon is shining brightly.

Rockport24
07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
on the shadow line note, wouldn't it be a good idea to fish bridges/piers during a full moon period simply because there is ALWAYS light present at those spots and a full moon wouldn't necessarily hinder the fishing? :huh:

DZ
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
YOU CAN'T CATCH WHAT A'INT THERE!

Steve,
If only it were that easy to figure out. That's what is great about surf casting - you just never know if what you're doing is wrong or whether the fish are just not there. I've been proved wrong on many occasions when I thought the beach was lifeless only to have someone come by and do a job on them by using another method.

Bridge fishing is another story altogether - I could write a book about it.

Rockport24
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
yes, then there is that thought that, well, maybe they just aren't here, but if I leave, will they show up when I'm gone???

chris L
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
when the going gets tough the tough get going

Rockport24
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
"was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?"

chris L
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
the Germans did , they were disguised as Japanese

basswipe
07-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I go get a beer.

That and I get back to really basic stuff.Keeping it simple tends to work for me when the fishing gets tough.

steve
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
The number of good nights I've had on bright moonlite calm nights in the last 35 years I can literally count on 1 hand. I know you can catch under such conditions but it is a gamble at best EXCEPT in the fall. I'm so down on nights like this that I'll stay home and watch the tube. Give me a dark night anytime or some snotty weather around the full moon period.

steve
07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
....... and that's coming from a surf guy who caught a 51 lber on a bright full moon night with light N.E. winds.

snake slinger
07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
i believe eels really help when the bass are fussy

Nebe
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
when the moon makes me panic, i throw bait that's organic. :D

Slingah
07-05-2007, 06:04 PM
great post DZ...... for me when it's July and the catching is slow....I take a break....

NIB
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Fishing shadow lines on bridges has paid off for me when the moon is shining brightly.

Good idea fish moving water..Moon lit nights can hinder the bridge bite as the baitfish that gather under the light can spread out under the glow of a moon.Still the structure of a bridge an it's enviroment will always hold some fish.
I like to fish the moving water first an foremost.I feel moon lit nights like the one just past do present some problems but not as bad as in the open surf.I know alberto likes the slack..Thats way too short of a time frame for me.
I like to fish what I call the edges of the tide.The 1.5 -2 hr period before an after the slack..I can still use lures in my presentations An I have taken some of my best fish on he moon..
Dark moons an efforesense can be way worse...

rockhopin2
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
:hf1: When it get tough swim farther

Naturegirl
07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey. heres a question. Has anyone ever caught a lobster while fishing? In my shock, I caught one at the ccc. Laughed my @ss off....lost my drag and he dropped off. Funny though.

riarcher
07-06-2007, 07:04 AM
I look forward to full moons. :heybaby:
Moon is high, grab the fly.
There's a worm hatch, breeding, or something going on in them back ponds on most fulls.
Granted, may not be 50&60 #ers, But I can appreciate a 40" schoolie(?) on a 9 wt. rod.
You'd be surprised how active the "back waters" can be on a bright night.
I think it's all about location, location, location. :faga: