View Full Version : God-Family-Country

justplugit
07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Stopped at an old mid 50s burger haunt tonight for a hot dog.

Over the fireplace still hung, as always, the American Flag with the words "God-Family-Country" over it.

Later as i drove past a "Drug Free School Zone",

i passed a bus with a large advertiseing sign on the side reading-

"Use a Gun in a Crime, you do Federal Tme. "

Will someone tell me how the !#$% we got to where we are in this country today?

Raven
07-10-2007, 05:06 AM
when a man invented the hot dog.

spence
07-10-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm afraid I don't get the point :huh:

-spence

Raven
07-10-2007, 06:46 AM

-spence

perhaps your "not" a grumpy old Phart Spence... :wave:

Raven
07-10-2007, 07:05 AM
long before the invention of the hot dog...

everything was done in a particular way
and it was done with pride...and it was good quality.

you'd go to a service (gas) station and they'd check under the hood
right away to see if you needed oil...
or any other free service because you were a paying customer
buying gasoline and they wanted you to return often
~
MILK was brought up to your front door by the smiling milk man''

your garbage was removed from your garbage pail in the backyard

the postal carrier would sometimes knock at your door and
warmly tell you...with a smile ..here's that letter you've been waiting for.

your neighbor would cut your grass because it was getting long and he knew
you had been so busy that you just hadn't any time, without asking

then.....we entered into an "age of convience"

drive up mail boxes
garbage disposals
riding lawnmowers that cost 2 grand
gigantic super stores ....calculators
vacumes that roam around the house cleaning when your not even home
automatic pool cleaners cleaning 24/7
answering machines for telephones
smart cars....
and the list goes on and on

all in the name of convience
and also the "disposable age" was born...
easy to throw it away items
single serving sizes...
bio degradible packaging
recycled everything
even people are now recycled :skulz:

RIJIMMY
07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
which now leaves us.....more time to fish!

justplugit
07-10-2007, 10:18 AM

-spence

Sorry i wasn't clear Spence, i was thinking of the older guys
who experienced that time in history and could contrast it with the present time.

A time of, God-Family-Country vs drug free school zones/ crime etc.

My question was how did we get from there to where we are today?

RIJIMMY
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
dont be so sure we werent always "there" it was just under the covers.
drugs have been an issue for generations, but no one talked about it. Same with abuse and molestation. It may appear that we are in a mess now, but it may just be that we are more willing to disucss and deal with it as opposed to covering it up

spence
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
dont be so sure we werent always "there" it was just under the covers.
drugs have been an issue for generations, but no one talked about it. Same with abuse and molestation. It may appear that we are in a mess now, but it may just be that we are more willing to disucss and deal with it as opposed to covering it up
Very true...

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of things that are different today were driven by that in the past. Some change is good, some is bad...but all in all I'd say the quality of life here at home is pretty good.

-spence

justplugit
07-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree, change can be a very good thing, if it is taking us in the right direction.

However, having gone to a large inner city High School in the 50's, where drugs were not heard of, let alone used,

and now go by the school that has "drug free school zone" plastered all over the place, that imho is not the right direction.

spence
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
In that example, is it the increased (I'm assuming) use in drugs, the increased threat to children or the blanket reaction to protect children through legislation that is the biggest issue?

Some things are evolutionary in nature...you can't just plot two points on a curve and get a realistic picture of the change.

-spence

Slipknot
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
a sign near a school is not going to do anything to keep it a drug free zone

:hs: pretty sad

like the dealers are going to pay any attention to some sign

we need more faith

justplugit
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Some things are evolutionary in nature...you can't just plot two points on a curve and get a realistic picture of the change.

-spence

So your answer to the question, in this instance ,would be that going from no drug use, or point A , to rampant drug use, point B, is evolutionary?

If so,what do you think is the cause of the evolution?

Clammer
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
can,t f #$%^&* believe it :wall:

Backbeach Jake
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Sure , the dealers pay attrntion to those signs, they even look for them. Untapped customers...:o

spence
07-10-2007, 07:25 PM
So your answer to the question, in this instance ,would be that going from no drug use, or point A , to rampant drug use, point B, is evolutionary?

If so,what do you think is the cause of the evolution?
I think you'd have to look at the various signs that have contributed to drug use increases...which are wide and have evolved over time.

It's not all that simple.

-spence

justplugit
07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Nothing's simple. :doh:
and Hey, how come Clammah get's to make
the profound statement. :huh: ;)

striprman
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
My dads 85. He used to live in Braintree and Quincy. He told me that when he was a teenager, the "cool cats" would go to the "dance clubs" in Brockton and smoke opium. There was no heroin and blacks smoked weed. It's always been around. He said the best thing he did was inlist when he was 17.

Goose
07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
God First. And if your not a believer...you still need to put your kids, spouses, parents, families & friends ((people)) before bass or any other false God! Pretty sad how blind we can be.

Clammer
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
TONY

truer words were never spoken ><><<:kewl:

justplugit
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
TONY

truer words were never spoken ><><<:kewl:

Ya, and with the polls showing 95% of the American people believe in God,
what happened to the Golden Rule anyway. :huh:

Goose
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
There is so much useless information in the world it has taken away from common sense.

Mike, this year I worked with a guy from the old country, he was 30, this freakin guy, like me was not the sharpest tool in the shed, he could hardly read or write. But lemme tell ya the guy had more common sense and was more content then most Americans I'm sure, why, because of his up bringing. You look around today people are so busy trying to find contentment they put everything else aside. Americans who build their families on a religious foundation are far stronger when faced with face adversity. We are not perfect but it is only natural to want better for our children, yet we look around and it aint happenin.

justplugit
07-13-2007, 07:51 AM
There is so much useless information in the world it has taken away from common sense.

Mike, this year I worked with a guy from the old country, he was 30, this freakin guy, like me was not the sharpest tool in the shed, he could hardly read or write. But lemme tell ya the guy had more common sense and was more content then most Americans I'm sure, why, because of his up bringing.

"SLIMPLIFY"--- soo many people trying to intellectualize with complicated theories ,
and BS libertine thinking, that there is no room in there heads for common sense, or contentment.

One man with wisdom and common sense
is worth more than 10,000 pseudointellectuals, imho. :hihi: