View Full Version : Fishing Cuttyhunk?

porter
07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
I will be fishing Cuttyhunk from a boat for 2 days this weekend and I am not sure on what to bring for gear and where to fish-Help

LT. DAN 2
07-12-2007, 05:45 AM
if you've never fished there I strongly recommend staying away from SOWS AND PIGS REEF..they are the boulders that sit off the southwest end of the island. VERY DANGEROUS to the unaware especially if there's a SW swell as these "PIGS" can appear and disappear and have claimed many a prop and hull damage to the unaware.

numbskull
07-12-2007, 05:46 AM
How big a boat? How experienced a captain? Trolling, casting, or chunking? Throwing eels at the shoreline is the simplest route, but the place is FOUL with hittable rocks so go slow, keep your eyes open, and don't try it if there is a swell running. Circling the island with tubes and worms in 15-20 feet of water works as well, but again there are places with unmarked rocks 1/2 a mile or more from shore that will sink your boat, so be sure you have high end navigation info and keep your eyes open. Sow and Pigs reef is, of course, a prime location but difficult and dangerous to fish from a moving boat without prior experience. During the ebb, there is often a fleet of chunkers anchored on one end of it....probably the safest way to fish it. Running to Devil's Bridge or Squibnocket to snap jigs on wire or three way scup is something else to consider.