View Full Version : I am done with braid going back to mono.

ilovetwofish
07-14-2007, 05:58 AM
So last night me and a buddy are drifting eels in our usual nighttime spot, I just drop the line to the bottom bang im hooked up nice fish it starts taking line I tighting the drag and SNAP AWE %$%$%$%$.I rig back up even a bigger one this time snap I quit. I also lost one two weeks ago. Its pretty rocky at this spot the braid rubs against the rocks and you cant tell if there is any nicks in the line and then this happens.I love braid for casting distance from shore but im done with it for drifting eels.I was thinking 40 pound stren tournament mono.What do you guys think.

Backbeach Jake
07-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I use a long leader, 3-4 foot. 40-50 pound test. It helps. But then again, I fish sand mostly. I've noticed that stripers will sometimes try to scrub a hook or lure off by swimming into the bottom. I think that's where most of my losses happen.

ilovetwofish
07-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I had A 3ft 80lb mono liter tide to a swivel, thats not were it broke it was the braid you cant tell were the nicks are.

steve
07-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I found out along time ago that braid and rocks don't mix. Stick with mono!

Tagger
07-14-2007, 08:31 AM
30lb. iron silk ... the stuff is real good in the rocks... thin diam. ,,,cast well .. If the rocks are incrusted in barnicles nothing is guaranteed.. Usually these places hold good fish ... maddning ,,, ain't it ?

Vogt
07-14-2007, 10:08 AM
20 lb Ande Backcountry, awesome stuff, give it a try.

Steve K
07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I found out along time ago that braid and rocks don't mix. Stick with mono!

Amen to that.

fcap60
07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Yep, I couldn't agree more. I guess the only way to learn is by breaking off (on braid) a good fish in the rocks. I agree with Vogt, try the ande backcountry.

I would still fish braid on sandy beaches, but not for boulder fields and rocks and other structure.

eastendlu
07-14-2007, 10:54 AM
What brand of braid are you useing?I fish exclusively with fireline 20# and 30# around rocks all the time and never have this problem.

Mike P
07-14-2007, 11:33 AM
So last night me and a buddy are drifting eels in our usual nighttime spot, I just drop the line to the bottom bang im hooked up nice fish it starts taking line I tighting the drag and SNAP AWE %$%$%$%$.I rig back up even a bigger one this time snap I quit. I also lost one two weeks ago. Its pretty rocky at this spot the braid rubs against the rocks and you cant tell if there is any nicks in the line and then this happens.I love braid for casting distance from shore but im done with it for drifting eels.I was thinking 40 pound stren tournament mono.What do you guys think.

Let me guess--Power Pro?

If so--try a different braid before you write the stuff off entirely.

Also, I still use mono for eel fishing. Braid really doesn't give you an edge there, especially in a rock garden. Ande Backcountry and Big Game are always your best bang for the buck in mono. There's no need for anything more expensive, especially for dropping eels to the bottom, other than making the line manufacturer rich. ;)

jimmy z
07-14-2007, 11:58 AM
I use Fireline.
Also, take it for what it's worth, I don't tighten my drag when I'm hooked up. I'm good to go, before the cast. But that is just what I do. :bo:

basswipe
07-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Absolutely.

redcrbbr
07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
check your rod guides! Last time that happened to me twice in a row I had a crack in the top guide. It would cut the line when I loaded up on a set. I fish mostly sand and love power pro. Have a reel that has had the same power pro line on it for almost three years now, and still strong.

ilovetwofish
07-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep you guessed it powerpro its great for casting not so great for eels in rocky area with big bass.I will check out the eyes and thanks for all the tips.Im going out again tonight to redeem myself.

t.orlando
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I do fine with PowerPro in the rocks.

Salty
07-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Try Tectan, it is the best abraison resistant line I have ever used, it is made in West Germany and comes in metric sizes, I use this line both for live linning and tog fishing, it will take anything you throw at it and then some.

eastendlu
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Carefull with power pro a friend of mine kept getting mysterious breakoffs and after much investigating figured out it was micoscopic windknots cutting into itself.Power pro can cut itself off cross the line and try it you will be shocked to see.

Sudsrat
07-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Also, take it for what it's worth, I don't tighten my drag when I'm hooked up. I'm good to go, before the cast. But that is just what I do. :bo:

Same here!
Don't give up on the braid yet...even the PP.

afterhours
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I do fine with PowerPro in the rocks.

same here..

BigFish
07-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I use mono....I have no problems so why fix what ain't broke?? You braid guys can have it!:wiggle:

Backbeach Jake
07-14-2007, 05:06 PM
I use 50#PP mainline down from 65#. And a 40-50 # leader. I use a lighter mono leader beacuse sometimes I WANT to break it off, the Canal for example. Zip Problems.
I had a spool of 20#PP that I lost 3 plugs in 3 casts. I gave that one to my moron boss.:poke: Something was definately wrong with that one.
I do have to say it took me a while to learn how to set the hook with braid. When I first started using it, I was giving it the mighty yank like mono. Well with mono you have considerable stretch to take up before the hook bites. With braid it's the flick of the wrist.
Last year I tried to go back to mono, missed a lot of hookups. I'm abraid guy now...

afterhours
07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
don't like 20 or 30 pp gotta be 40 and up. light stuff promotes windknots for me.

BigFish
07-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I have seen all 3 of my fishing buddies (they know who they are) complain about braid on more than one occasion! I use the mono with no complaints at all!:hidin:

CanalGuy
07-14-2007, 07:25 PM
30# Big Game does the trick for me:wiggle:

justplugit
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Last year I tried to go back to mono, missed a lot of hookups. I'm abraid guy now...

Mee too, was always a slow hooker with mono, missed alot of fish.

Nine outa 10 with braid no need to even set the hook, cept to set it deeper.

profitxl
07-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Hope you aint tightening the drag too tight

teezer
07-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I went eel fishing with a buddy and he uses 20lb YO-Zuri. I spooled up one of my rods with it and it fished great. I had another rod with braid, he out fished me. I also had a bad experience fishing braid while live lining pogies this year. Any bait fishing and I will switch to mono.

Joe
07-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Braid's most distinct advantage is increased casting distance, but when drifting eels - you short cast and let the current present the bait, so that negates braid's most important advantage.

Braid's second advantage is increased sensitivity. But when drifting eels you play the line out under constant resistance from the current, so the advantage of sensitivity is also diminished. There is little or no slack when drifting eels, so, regardless of which line you choose, you're going to feel every bump.

Braid's biggest disadvantage it's tendency to break after minor nick, and seeing as how breachways are essentially rockpiles, there is a high likelihood a fish will take you into the rocks or you will nick the running line between casts.

So by choosing braid for drifting eels in a current the advantages are negated, while the disadvantages are magnified...You're getting the worst of both worlds. Braid is just another option with advantages and disadvantages that need to be assessed with respect to the application.

EricM
07-16-2007, 01:23 AM
May I also suggest that you try palming the spool next time you want to add a little extra resistance. Somebody passed me that advice, it is another option to have in your bag of tricks.

piemma
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM

What Pat said.

Wheni was a surf guy I switched to Ande back country and it was awesome. I now use it on my boat when I'm drifting eels in the rocks.