View Full Version : Clamp on Rod Holders for Outriggers?

Whalecod
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a '90 GradyWhite Gulfstream with an original Hardtop. When I bought the boat it came with Lees Outriggers with flushmount hardtop Outrigger Holders. In time they have weakened and flex too much now to hold the outriggers. I have a few solutions in mind. One being to move the bases to the gunnel. The second being, leave them on the hardtop and reinforce them with backing plates via welding etc..( kinda ugly but would work) and the third option I thought might be to attach clamp on rod holders to the tube framing that supports the hardtop. I know the tube framing will hold them and I like the fact of not having to lower them down to gunnel height, but there is one question and one potential problem. The question is do you think the clamps will hold 15 foot Lee outriggers ( 1 to 1.5 inch in diameter outriggers) in place sturdy with a 4 bolt 316 stainless clamp? And as far as the problem goes, the clamp on rod holder is, well, just what it says...a clamp on rod holder meant for rods, not outriggers. It has a gimbal bottom that narrows right down to fit the bent butt of the outriggers but the problem is its too long by 3 inches. Solution? Have a machine shop saw off the top three inches? I think that'll prolly work. What do you guys think?

Van
07-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Having engineering background, I would say that having a huge moment arm (assuming 15 foot poles), the clamp will rotate on the frame. Think about only 10 pounds of force (pulling a rig) at 15 feet out is 150 ft lbs of rotational force on that little clamp. It is doubtful it will keep from spinning. If you can through bolt or weld the holder to the frame then maybe, but take into account that you will also be weakening the frame by doing so. Maybe you should just move them down if you have the space.

Without seeing how it would clamp on makes this just an opinion. There might be a way to attach the rod holder so that the force is parallel with the frame then you might be OK. (Is it one clamp, or two on the holder?) Got any pics?

Rick Ackley
07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Agree with Van, how about some pics to better understand the issues involved?

Whalecod
07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Here are the holders i bought http://www.cesmithco.com/product/rodholderadj.htm

If you need a boat pic I can take one too. Let me know.

Van
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Here are the holders i bought http://www.cesmithco.com/product/rodholderadj.htm

If you need a boat pic I can take one too. Let me know.

IMO its not likely that will hold the way you descibed. Those adjustment "teeth" will likely strip out with that tension.

Boat pics will help too.

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Keep in mind also the amount of drag that will be on them depending on what you will be dragging around on them!
If you plan to use them for tuna, you want the heaviest / strongest setups you can get!

Whalecod
07-17-2007, 06:40 AM
I think I am going to have to go with gunnel mounted holders. Im not looking forward to mounting them though. Seems like you need to drill a perfect hole or the riggers will be cockeyed or so ive heard.

thefishingfreak
07-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey I think Jon has a set of those gunnel mounts kicking arround.
if the top shakes with them up high, i doubt lowering them to the support tubes will stop the stress. if there's a cross tube use that somehow to support them. look how Jon has his mounted with wood backing and big U bolts.
there ok off the gunnel. It's tough to fish arround them but someone is usually driving anyways to keep a large fish off the stern corner.
check your pm's I sent you something.
come by sometime.
it's GO time. :lasso:

MakoMike
07-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I was in west Marine over the weekend and they sell a nifty aluminum plate that clamps onto several of the pipes on a sunshade. You could probably use that as the mount for the outrigger bases.