View Full Version : WW WTF

fishpoopoo
07-16-2007, 06:51 AM
midway out (west ocean side) there seem to be a mess of pots and nets that weren't out there last year ... what gives? is the net a fish trap?

1. as usual, no shortage of guys keeping short scup (<10.5 inches) at the end of the jetty. saw one guy keep a short striper.

2. was very encouraged to see some asian folk packing out their trash. this time it was a bunch of nice latino guys who left a bunch of some trash - but at least it was biodegradable (cardboard sandworm boxes). :usd:

RIROCKHOUND
07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Could be gill nets.. there have been a few around...

Glad to see the trash getting carried.
JoeP and I half filled my truck with crap from another spot last week...

Slinger
07-16-2007, 08:22 AM
That fish trap has been there every year for as long as I can remember. Won`t come down till Oct. Also one on the East Wall on the inside. I don`t know what they are targeting but they end up with a lot of FA`s when they come in.
Slinger

ThrowingTimber
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I believe its the same folks who run the traps off the aves. I can see how those traps would totally f-up the Fat alberts when they come through there. That one, the one inside the refuge, and the ones off the aves need to go.

MakoMike
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Ben,
Its a fish trap, and its been there for ages. It's just marked better this year with the new regs on marking fish traps.

ilovetwofish
07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
I have some expeirence with those things and all the lobster gear I lost a few nice fish around the aves. It sure is tempting to just cut them but that would be wrong.I sure wouldn't be sad to see them gone though.