View Full Version : Visiting fisheries biologist...request for Portland area info

fishbum
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Howdy folks!

I'm a fisheries manager/college biology faculty from Ohio and will be in the Portland area between Aug 1-7. I have fished for stripers a bit in Cape Cod and Cape May areas, but am no expert! I would love to get out in the later afternoons/evenings and chase stripers and bluefish when in town. Can anyone help w/any starting info, though, as I have never been to (and may never be back to) this area.

Ideally, I would like to hook up w/somebody who I can repay the favor to someday. I know more than is probably healthy (!!!) about Great Lakes (esp Lake Erie) steelhead and would be happy to return any favors/info by taking you steelhead fishing.

Thanks in advance for any info! BTW, I do understand sensitive info should/will stay w/me, and PMs are encouraged if that's the case.

Thanks!

Mike

JohnR
07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Mike - welcome to S-B... I'm unfortunately 140 miles sw of Portland but I woulds suggest for night fishing with eels that you possibly look in the vicinity of Old Orchard Beach - specifically between OOB and Camp Ellis to the south.

Lots of beaches you can access and work with a couple river or stream mouths to work on a dropping tide as well. Keep in mind that many of the beaches are flats that can stretch considerable distance and can also sneak up on you with a 13' incoming tide....

I know there are a few that know the Portland area well (never been that north, just north as far as Old Orchard Beach)....

lurch
07-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Check out the biddeford pool area. I was up there yesterday and it looks like that place would be a great area to fish.