View Full Version : Sun AM

MarshCappa
07-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Out a bit earlier today and with a buddy. FAC water and fish busting right near the landing. They were so picky and wouldn't take anything fully. My hook sets must be off or something but they weren't ever fully engulfing the plug. Moved on to another spot and my friend hook up instantly, I was very jealous but glad he got into one. Just shy at the boat. He bagged 2 more but they were short. I on the other hand got nada and lot of interest and splashes. What am I doing wrong??!!

Slingah
07-22-2007, 09:31 AM
. My hook sets must be off or something but they weren't ever fully engulfing the plug.

that is exactly what I thought...I would stop the plug, speed it up...trying it all..
what I found worked was I would switch back and forth from a pencil to a spook..one would stop working then work and visa versa..
I'm not fishing from a boat though, but I'm sure they are the same fish in the same general location...

Van
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Smaller fish/smaller plug?
A nice little creek chub popper works well on schoolies in my area.

Or did you try that too?

MarshCappa
07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I was using a creek chub for the first wave but it's pretty big. I just suck. But I'm not giving in. I'm determined to get better. In fact if anyone wants to get out in Duxbury/Kingston bay with me on my skiff don't be afraid to give me a shout. It's really good out there now for the guys who fish it regularly.

Van
07-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I was using a creek chub for the first wave but it's pretty big. I just suck. But I'm not giving in. .

I'm sure you don't suk, just keep at it, try the smallest version of that topwater. We've taken small and large fish on them.
Did you throw the small storms at them? Various colors?

MarshCappa
07-23-2007, 09:29 AM
4" pearl tied direct. Yo-Zuri swimmers tied direct. Finese and sluggos. The only thing i don't have but will soon get is the plug my buddy was using and getting hookups. it was a 6" swimmer/darter that stays on top and gets worked side to side. They really liked that going fast.

RIJIMMY
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
try a teaser if bait is small.
IMHO, as a caster, flies are still the #1 lure for bass when they are on small bait

MarshCappa
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
try a teaser if bait is small.
IMHO, as a caster, flies are still the #1 lure for bass when they are on small bait

Saw 2 boats fly fishing and they seemed to be making out well. I agree totally. Another thing I need to learn though.

Christian
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
are you fishing the dux bay area?
if yes, try the 3" storm. in pearl. you will catch 100's of fish. i dont know what it is about them in that area, but you will see, if you downsize. 3" storm on 6-8lb test. if im having a bad week, i just go down there and toss those, and its redonkulous.