View Full Version : Slinging Eels

mayday1019
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Hello All,

What are your preferred methods of slinging eels? I know some people cast them with a bobber/balloon attached so the eels dont bury themselves in the rocks or mud. Or some people cast them out with a slow retrieve.

What do you like to do and why?? Just looking to share ideas.

Thanks,

Bob

spence
07-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Use the search and I'm sure you'll find dozens of discussions. From shore most people keep 'em neat and slow.

As for rocks and mud, it's that what an eel should be doing anyway? :hihi:

-spence

baldwin
07-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Cast out, give it a short count to get down, reel in excruciatingly slow. Keep rod tip up, until you get a take. Drop the rod tip to horizontal, let the line go tight, then cross her eyes with the hookset.

mayday1019
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. I have always been somewhat confused as to the proper way to do it. Again, I have seen people using fishfinders with them, bobbers, etc.

To each their own I guess.

Thanks again.

capecodkid
07-22-2007, 04:25 PM
I use the method stated above. Cast it out and let it sink for a few seconds, then reel so slow its painful. Repeat till you hook up.

JohnR
07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys. I have always been somewhat confused as to the proper way to do it. Again, I have seen people using fishfinders with them, bobbers, etc.

To each their own I guess.

Thanks again.

Here you go - Eel Fishing 101: http://www.striped-bass.com/fishing/saltwater/striper/fishing-live-eels.html

The Iceman 6
07-23-2007, 08:40 AM
SLOW and steady wins the race.

JFigliuolo
07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
a little weight can sometimes be the ticket also...

flyben24
07-23-2007, 04:52 PM
i dont waste my money and time with all these fancy methods of rigging them... i just grab any old hook, tie it on, grab an eel and put the hook through its mouth and cast. I think in the long run i will catch more fish than wasting my time trying to rig on bobbers and weights. Just let the eel swim naturally, and reel in slowly.

hyefisherman2
07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I use the method stated above. Cast it out and let it sink for a few seconds, then reel so slow its painful. Repeat till you hook up.

yeah same here