View Full Version : SoCo Fluke? Tips?

BrianS
08-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Headed down to the pt Judith area this week to look for doormats.. Ive fished shore there a bit, but never by boat.

Any tips?

was gonna use squid...

fishpoopoo
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
just drag bottom at a measured pace (usually by drifting, sometimes with the motor mending the boat) with the appropriate rig.

fluke tend to hide in depressions and holes in the sandy bottom, lurking for a meal to wash over them. they chow pretty aggressively.

me, i like to use a dropper loop rig tied to a teaser.

take a piece of 30 lb. fluorocarbon leader (yes, fluoro makes a difference). tie a dropper loop in the middle.

attach a 3 oz bank sinker to the middle dropper loop.

tie a teaser (any chartreuse and white streamer fly pattern) to the end. sweeten teaser with a squid strip (or a belly strip of any fresh caught fish - sea robin is often used) cut such that it flutters in the current.

MakoMike
08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Drag bait, the bigger the better and fish in the deeper water 50-70 feet. There rae fish shallower, but its mostly throwbacks. I'll be out fluking around there tomorrow.

ThomCat
08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
:eyes: ThomCat Fluke Rigs!!!!::rocketem:

JLH
08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
For bigger fluke fish deep, fish big baits (fav is whole squid), and fish around structure (look for pots off the beaches). Once you hook up with a decent fish hit MOB on the gps and take a few more drifts over the same spot they are often schooled up.

striperman36
08-03-2007, 12:26 PM
find another boat fluking
drift right next to them, keep your motor running, pee over the side
and throw your beer cans and trash over the side to drift into the boat

BrianS
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
woo!
thanks for the tips... ill be sure to keep them in mind...

especially that last one .....

:boots:

RIROCKHOUND
08-03-2007, 03:23 PM
read otw Aug issue :D

Clammer
08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
WHY ?? WTF //wrote it ><><><:liquify:

fishaholic18
08-03-2007, 10:31 PM
read otw Aug issue :D

Saw that..Nice read Bry.:cheers:

NIB
08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Like Ri RockHound said..:D
Although I have not recieved mine yet i read the article..

BrianS
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
we did pretty ok today

water was a bit rough.. but plenty of filets...

i was drifting a full squid with no sinker while we were bottom fishing... something grabbed it.. HARD... got it back in, no bait, no fish, but the hook was there....

RIROCKHOUND
08-05-2007, 08:40 AM
WHY ?? WTF //wrote it ><><><:liquify:

Some dumb a-hole who told you where to go fishing :fishslap: :fishslap: :D:D:D:D:D:D

Clammer
08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
ya some A/H >>>>.. that wanted Clammer to go on a wild Goose chase ><><><:devil2:

MakoMike
08-05-2007, 04:04 PM
The fish are off the south Kingston town beach to Nebraska shoal in 60-45 feet of water. Shallower than that you'll get nothing but shorts.

NIB
08-06-2007, 05:07 AM
In NJ..I like to bucktail em..Spro type jigs are real popular.In fact u can barely find em now in glo or white. Chartruese is a good one also.. I use em anywheres from 3/4-5 once.
My favorite way is to cast back a light one on a spinner loaded with light braid.15 lb test.The spinner is quickly becoming my favorite way to fish.A Cabo 30 and a medium action 6'6" or 7' rod.Thro it way back..A little ball head a a gulp grub.Pop it of the bottom an feel it on the way down.The fish grab it on the fall...It is easier to make the small jig act more lifelike.Plus if u get hung (I like to fish the grizzle) u have a better chance of getting it back..
My standard rig is a 1.5 spro Glo copy (I make my own) on a dropper with a 5/0 hook an 2 big strips bout 12-18 inches from it...
If squid are around I'll use a small spro on the dropper 3/8 with a 1.5 /2 oz spro behind that..No big trailors on the jig they just fowl..
I like to put a 4"gulp grub on em.Maybe a small 3/8 x2" squid strip.The fish will come up an grab the small jig..Try it,,