View Full Version : Interesting Fish caught a few days ago

JohnR
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
We all know how blues will eat & eat & eat, right? I was out fishing a few nights ago and caught a long but lean bluefish on a white spook. Long, probably 35-36 inches long - but really skinny. The fish isn't putting up much of a fight at all and I'm not sure if it is just a bunch of weeds. Anyway, I get this fish in, long and lean, and it looks like a fish that someone caught, eviscerated, and then threw over the side. I realize Clammer doesn't go as far southwest as I was so I knew it wasn't him.

The fish was not eviscerated but had actually wrapped itself in some kind of cloth line - much thicker than a dacron - that had literally cut the fish and inch to two deep all the way around the fish's body just behind the gills! This fish probably was probably feeding and feeding with nothing getting to its stomach. Anyway, cut the line of and released the fish. Not sure if it made it or not but it certainly was not going to make it otherwise...

Anyone ever see something similar?

fishpoopoo
08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
fluke sans a little filet have been known to continue to eat rigs shortly after being thrown overboard. THAT is weird - fluke zombie.

Andy D
08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Last fall Blackfishing with a buddy . I land this Tog that looked as though it had been fileted and thrown back and survived. From behind the gills to the tail it was no fatter than it's backbone .

Back Beach
08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Got a bass off newcomb hollow one time. It had an orange worm float and a full leader still attached to the inside of its mouth, but still took my eel. Fish was around 45" and couldn't have weighed more than 20#.

Flaptail
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Over the years I have caught a lot of bass with what looks like net marks cut into thier bodies. You could see the diamond pattern. Always thought they were by-ctach that made it out alive from the net.

Jenn
08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I caught a pickerel ( the bluefish of freshwater with an eels slime coat) that had a lure in its mouth and about 3 feet of line wrapped around its mangled body. Cut it all free and let it go......like you said though about weather it lives or not....