View Full Version : plier choices

Finaddict
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay so I got a gift certicate to Cabelas from work, I thought I'd get a nice pair of pliers with it ... Cabelas has the Donmar Checkpoint CP850 EX and the CP880 Side Pliers ... as well as the Van Staal stainless steel 6 inch pliers on sale only $10 more than the CP880 Side Pliers from Donmar and neither the top Donmar they offer or the Van Staal on sale offer sheath or lanyard ...

... that said, has anyone here used the Donmar pliers and what are your thoughts as I don't necessarily need the Van Staal pliers, although they would be nice to have, just $50 more when said and done ...

... any body have insight on these two/three pliers?

Thanks

BigFish
08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I got the VS pliers.....they are AMAZING! You will have to pry them from my cold, dead hands!:kewl:

fishpoopoo
08-07-2007, 05:09 AM
get something else from cabelas.

head over to ocean state job lot and buy a dozen $3 stainless pliers.

cheferson
08-07-2007, 05:12 AM

:btu:

BigFish
08-07-2007, 05:33 AM
A dozen....yeah great but all that means is they will rust up and fail on you when you need them most! Just spend the dough and you will never have to worry about them again! They are as important a tool as the rod and reel!;)

Rick Ackley
08-07-2007, 05:37 AM
I seem to lose 'em way before they ever get a chance to rust. Ocean State is my choice.

afterhours
08-07-2007, 05:43 AM
i agree with the big fella. they're surely expensive- but i like not have to worry about them and they always perform what i ask them to do. i used to use to el cheapos but had failures at the wrong time. buy 'em once (hopefully) and if you fish 30x a season they'll cost you about $2 per for a few yrs- and you'll love 'em.

Terence
08-07-2007, 05:59 AM
VS .Never failed me going on 3 years now. Light strong and no rust/oxidation. Worth every penny.

Raider Ronnie
08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I've got the larger Van Staals also, and nothing compares !
I also have 2 somewhat expensive pairs of Accurates that I'll sell for a good price, but their no where near as good as the VS !

JohnR
08-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I'll put my 3 or 4 Ocean State Job lots per year against losing the VS once a season anytime :btu:

Redsoxticket
08-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I would purchase the less expensive pliers. Thereafter if you feel that you want the high end pliers then go for it.
You'll probably come to the conclusion that the cheap pliers is the way to go for the reasons mentioned above.

The Dad Fisherman
08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I use the Rapala Pliers....$20 and I'm on my 3rd season with them. When they get a little stiff I hit them with some Master Mechanic or WD40 and they are as good as new.

decksweeper
08-07-2007, 07:30 AM
If you choose to go with the VS pliers....get the 7" versus the 6". I think they're about $40 more, but are well worth the extra. IMO...

zacs
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
i am on season 5 with my Donmars. I love them. use the sheath with the lanyard and you will not lose them.

they cut braid and are smooth. i love the donmars.

BigFish
08-07-2007, 08:10 AM
You guys lose your pliers....sounds like you need to get the VS with the lanyard.......I have had mine 4 years now.....have not lost them yet! Gotta be a damn fool if you lose them with a lanyard!!!

fishpoopoo
08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Get a dozen $3 stainless steel pliers from Ocean State Job Lot.

Send them into a place that provides saltwater resistant coating for $5/apiece.

Not a bad option if you're prone to losing pliers like I am.

Van Staal pliers are nice, but they're not bulletproof. :devil2:

BigFish
08-07-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't shoot em'.....just release fish with them! Boils down to convenience......wanna keep swapping out your crappy pliers every month or so, or have them so rusty when you are waist deep in water trying to unhook a fatty that you wind up getting a hook buried in your hand with the fish still attached because you were futzing around with your crappy pliers (on top of that you won't be able to cut the hook to get it easily out of your hand) then by all means.....do what you think is right!;)

JFigliuolo
08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
job lot pliars. 1 can of wd-40. Going on 3 years. rusted to crap but still get the job done.

BigFish
08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Bassturbed....ever own a pair of VS Pliers??? I am betting not cause you would still have them! Unless you lost them?:D

Redsoxticket
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Improvise and be creative. IF you don't have a laynard use surgical tubing.

Dame fool not I, bet you also never lost your mittens because you had a string tied to both mittens via the jacket.

fishpoopoo
08-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Bassturbed....ever own a pair of VS Pliers??? I am betting not cause you would still have them! Unless you lost them?:D

i did.

they broke.

VS wouldn't fix it w/o me shelling out more $$$ on top of the $$$$$$ I already spent.

i was so livid, i took them out to the 200 yard line of my local rifle range. blew them to $hit with some 300 Winchester Magnum handloads.

i felt better afterwards.

daceman63
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
what do you use the pliers for?

lurch
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
I had the cabelas pliers for ~8 years without any rust...unfortunately I lost them on the vineyard.

IMO buy the pliers from cabelas and save the cash for plugs!

ChiefLinesider
08-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I use the Rapala Pliers....$20 and I'm on my 3rd season with them. When they get a little stiff I hit them with some Master Mechanic or WD40 and they are as good as new.

I have the Rapala pliers too. Pro guide series. Had them for two seasons. Work like new. 20 bucks. Buy something else at cabelas.

http://www.cacciaepescatognini.it/prodotti/th_819_rapala%20carbide%20pro%20pliers%20pic.jpg

jim sylvester
08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
vs 7"

well worth the investment

Flaptail
08-07-2007, 11:29 AM

I agree, 200.00 plus for fishing pliers is totally insane. I have had my pair of VanJobLot's for five years now. 2.98 without the sheath. Never failed me. This is my second pair, first pair I had for 6 years but lost over board or else I would have still had them.

Just another case of more hype than reality like VS Reels.

Fire at will Gridley!

Flaptail
08-07-2007, 11:32 AM
A dozen....yeah great but all that means is they will rust up and fail on you when you need them most! Just spend the dough and you will never have to worry about them again! They are as important a tool as the rod and reel!;)

Larry, you can't be serious? I spray my VanJobLot's with a touch of WD once a week. Never failed me yet.

Rockport24
08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I got a gift certificate to Cabela's for Christmas and ended up getting the Ross Worldwide alumunium pliers. I love em'.

ThrowingTimber
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
vs pliers cant cut a hook, without the cutters shattering. = junk to me.

manleys cut a hook = good to me saw some on sale for 30$.

Most times I remove the hooks from fish I release with my hands.. yup sometimes I even touch the fish :laughs:

.69 cent nail clippers on a piece of rope cut braid great!!! and for the price, I keep one in each of the plug bags I use and one in each dry top and one in my waders, and a few extras in the car. And if I remember to hit them with a drop of oil at any point in their lifespan they last longer....

I dont need vs pliers, I fish at night so I dont have anyone to POSE for :laughs:

I actually splurged this year and bought 16$ rapala piers, I hit them with 3 in 1 red can a few drops whenever I think of it and they do fine. They crimp steel leader sleeves, they do split rings, they cut braid, they come with a sheath, and they remove a hook from a fish if I need them to just fine.

vs pilers maybe if I got them below wholesale or free. Then I'd be all over the internet spouting babble about how great a pair of pliers that cant cut a hook are....

The reels I can see the sense in the purchase the pliers not unless I get them wicked cheap or free. I'd like to see how many of the advocates for the vs pliers paid full price:read:

SeaWolf
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
my vote is for manley's first, then maybe a pair of needles, such as the job lot's s/s or a pair of vs pliers as a backup pair. my manley's serve 2 main purposes, cutting any size hook and/or line/leaders and to cut hooks out of my hand or someone elses. i can cut thru 6x hooks all day and still be able to use them for cutting line. manley's may not be as sharp as a pair of vs pliers, but vs cutting jaws are not as strong to cut those heavier wire hooks. the only drawback i have found w/ manley's is that they dont have a long point like needle nose pliers, but that's not their true purpose anyhow. that's why i carry a cheaper backup pair just for that. manley's run maybe $30-35 at most tackle shops. that's cheaper than a pair of vs replacement cutters.

if all you want to do is cut line and want a pair of pliers to last you a long, long time buy a pair of vs pliers, a sheath, and a lanyard. i'm not really knocking them, they are nice, i just have not yet justified buying them when i use manley's.

cheferson
08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Joblot or wallyworld pliers, ive been fishing 4+ nights sence april and im on my 3rd pair still. Do not use any oil or wd-40 on them either. So maybe gonna cost me $10 for the season. $250 + for one pair of vs = 25 seasons of wallyworld/joblot pliers :read:

keeperreaper
08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Ocean state 3.99. If you lose 'em you won't care.

luds
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Van Staal 7" pliers. :devil:

JFigliuolo
08-07-2007, 02:19 PM

This is total BS... "rust up and fail on you". Dude, a quick hit of wd-40 when you suit up and a $3 pair of pliars and a $.99 pair of nail clippers will last well over a season. Ask my partner... no one takes worse care of their stuff than me. My equipment goes from my side, to the trunk of my car... NEVER rinsed. I am on my third season with my pliars and second with my trusty nail clippers. removes hooks and cuts braid... no problem.

snake slinger
08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
buy what ever %$%$%$%$in pliers you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

RIJIMMY
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I too use the cheapy stainless ones, the vs may be great but I'll losteem for sure and cant bear to spend 200+ on pliers.

The Dad Fisherman
08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
buy what ever %$%$%$%$in pliers you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

:laughs: That pretty much sums it up

chris L
08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I like the little plastic ones that come with kids work bench toys . cheap and never rust . you know the ones also has the plastic claw hammer and screw driver .

Rockport24
08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
if you have a gift certificate, just buy the pliers, you won't regret it.

numbskull
08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I was using Sargent's until last week. Left 'em on a rocky beach somewhere hard to get while rerigging. Had used 'em about 15-20 years. They were pretty beat, and could only gnaw at braid, but it was a painful loss. Manley's aren't the same. Good old tools become your friends.

Casting Z's
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
What if you guy where to tether your gear to your plug bags, like this?:smash:

shadow
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
stay away from the donmars the pivot losens up after time no way to thighten them up,the older ones feel alittle sloppy.

BigFish
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Riverrat2 knows the VS cuts hooks....no problemo!:hihi:

Backbeach Jake
08-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Buy a bunch, you'll never shed a tear when you lose them.

Adam_777
08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Wow 2 pages of replies about pliers!Anyone still fish in here?

fishaholic18
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow 2 pages of replies about pliers!Anyone still fish in here?
I took a hook out of 13 fishies mouths yesterday with my pliers:conf: :p

Mike P
08-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Manleys will keep on cutting hooks for years, too.

Van Staals will cut a hook in a pinch--once ;)

lurch
08-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see how many of the advocates for the vs pliers paid full price:read:

:rotflmao: I would say nice things abut Hitler if he hooked me up with some free stuff too :)

fishaholic18
08-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I buy the cheapies because I don't have the $$ to shell out $100 for a pair of pliers. The cheapies do rust pretty quick though, I don't really take care of them though, I bought a $30 pair, forget the name, they are rusty as hell after a month of use.

Pete_G
08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
It's odd how the plier threads always come down to cutting hooks.

Here's a reality check. Accurate, Ross, BPS, Cabelas, Browning, Van Staal, and anything else that has recently come to market based on the VS plier shape aren't built to cut hooks. That's just the way it is. It's almost not worth debating. Job Lot pliers, same thing.

Most can do it, especially the Van Staals, but it is NOT what they're built for. Don't buy them for that. You're going to be disappointed. None of them are going to cut a 4/0 4x VMC unless you get lucky.

If you want to cut hooks I guess buy Manley. Although there's a thread on another forum with a poster looking to buy new pliers since his Manley's jaws shattered trying to cut a hook. :rolleyes: Go figure.

Trying to cut hooks with the above is like trying to drive a screw home with a hammer. If you want to reliably cut big hooks and heavy wire get some real wire cutters. :kewl:

Lastly my VS 7" cut 2 trebles over 2 years plus mono, wire, and braid. They only finally stopped cutting braid recently. The pliers are brand new otherwise after 6 years. Paid full price and would do it again. Numbskull said it best, "good old tools become your friends".

fishaholic18
08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
trying to drive a screw home with a hammer.
Done that:cheers::jester:

I have a pair of side cutters for cutting hooks.

Nebe
08-07-2007, 07:14 PM
3 dollar plyers works for me too- I took a black telephone chord and heat shrinked the chord to one of the handles and did the same to a 5 dollar leather pliers holster-

A VS reel is going to help me catch more fish just on its reliability- a good surf rod is going to help me catch more big fish because it will be light, cast better, and hopefully be more reliable as well, but pliers bring me back down to earth.

Bill L
08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I can think of 20 things I need to spend 200 bucks on before pliers, but hey, if you got the dough,......

Nebe
08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
actually, now that i remember, my plyers holster on my surf belt are made by VS.. :hihi:

eastendlu
08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I use my teeth to cut braid, hooks ,whatever.

Slingah
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
get the pliers andy...if someone gave me a gift certificate for around that kind of money Id buy buy 'em too...
that is a perfect gift.....getting something for yourself you normally wouldnt get...

that being said.... I have cheepos and would never spend that kind of money on a pair of pliers

GonnaCatchABig1
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
jesus.. those are some fine pliers.. but no way in hell would i drop $200 on a pair of pliers.
that said..
http://hires.basspro.com/is/servlet/izoom/BassPro/91581?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=trilin&op_usm=1.0,1.0,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0
bass pro shop pliers.. $15 love em.. get the hooks very well. cuts braid like butter. convent. not $200. only problem.. they are not very rust resistant. but they are pliers so i dont exactly take the highest care of them. i am sure a fresh water bath when ya get in will fix that. i how ever usually leave em in the bottom of a bucket which gets rained in and then they sit in the water for two days at a time.. still work though. not heavy rusting but its there. we have lost a few pairs of these to and i can say it doesnt hurt as bad as losing a $200 pair. i couldn't imagine being more worried about my pliers than my reel.

ThrowingTimber
08-08-2007, 06:36 AM
hahaha candi just read this thread and she said its like women and handbags. Some use a target handbag that holds their stuff and some like to be looked at and buy the coach bags, channel, d&b versace or whatever... :jump1:

HESH2
08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
last post says it all,all the women in my life have those $$$$$$ fancy handbags and more than one.me i have the $5 wallet from the flea market.i use 1 of 2 pairs of cabelas stainless pliers for about $15 with sheth.

Mr. Sandman
08-08-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a pair of donamars and a pair of accurate offshore pliers as well as a bunch of $17 shimanos with a Ti coating. The ac curates are the best but the "worry" factor is real. The ac curates are the best plier I have used for rigging and keep it mostly at my bench but take it offshore when I go. (on a teather) The donmars cutters dull quickly and never really cut braid very well. They do not rust though. The $17 shimanos cut braid for two years. ( I store them in one of those lube-filled holdzit holders) They also are decent for de-hooking. They last a few years and if dropped in the drink it is not the end of the world. Drop a VS or other and you just ruined your day. Trust me you will be pissed when (not if but when)they splash.

RIROCKHOUND
08-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Split the difference.
I bought the browning's for 30 or 40 on Ebay, I never rinse my surf gear/belt (well it's rinsing today in the back of the truck, O.K.
No problem in 2 seasons. some MINOR rust on the cutters..

will they cut a hook? I doubt it. but the heavy ones in my tool box will!

Pete_G
08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Drop a VS or other and you just ruined your day. Trust me you will be pissed when (not if but when)they splash.

There's a simple rule for expensive pliers. Never, EVER take them off the lanyard and you never lose them. :hee:

Live and die by it and you'll never have issues.

I'll even tempt fate and say I've never dropped pliers overboard, and never will.

Pete_G
08-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Also, be careful with the Accurates. If my friend hasn't sent his back yet I'll take a picture.

Don't ever try and close a Siwash hook with them...

Chris in Mass
08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Also, be careful with the Accurates. If my friend hasn't sent his back yet I'll take a picture.

Don't ever try and close a Siwash hook with them...

Pete, 7" or 8"? Love to see the picture.

dredey
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
other than my boga my vs 7" pliers are the best piece of equipment that i own. period. never ever rust or fail. not a status symbol either since i lie to everyone about how much they cost!!! put a lanyard on them and they last forever.

Mako927
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't have a preference on pliers. I am still in that stage of my Striper career where I am hoping to catch a fish. I'll be happy putting any pliers in there because it would mean I have a fish. I just had to toss my 2 cents in here and say I never, ever thought pliers would make such an engaging and dynamic conversation. It is great to see the debate/discussion going three pages long... =)

pmueller
08-09-2007, 08:06 AM
The Accuerates are a decent set for the money. Gotta keep them clean and spray them with wd40 every now and then.
The new Ross pliars look nice.

Okay so I got a gift certicate to Cabelas from work, I thought I'd get a nice pair of pliers with it ... Cabelas has the Donmar Checkpoint CP850 EX and the CP880 Side Pliers ... as well as the Van Staal stainless steel 6 inch pliers on sale only $10 more than the CP880 Side Pliers from Donmar and neither the top Donmar they offer or the Van Staal on sale offer sheath or lanyard ...

... that said, has anyone here used the Donmar pliers and what are your thoughts as I don't necessarily need the Van Staal pliers, although they would be nice to have, just $50 more when said and done ...

... any body have insight on these two/three pliers?

Thanks

Casting Z's
08-10-2007, 05:41 PM
hahaha candi just read this thread and she said its like women and handbags. Some use a target handbag that holds their stuff and some like to be looked at and buy the coach bags, channel, d&b versace or whatever... :jump1:

I'll bet Candi has the best hair color, the best boob lift bra or tummy tuck panties money can buy. And she never tells you anything about them.

Adam_777
08-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't have a preference on pliers. I am still in that stage of my Striper career where I am hoping to catch a fish. I'll be happy putting any pliers in there because it would mean I have a fish. I just had to toss my 2 cents in here and say I never, ever thought pliers would make such an engaging and dynamic conversation. It is great to see the debate/discussion going three pages long... =)

I hear ya man!2yrs on the surf and not much to show for it.I'd trade my clean not rusted never been used pair of pliers for a fish and take the hook out with my bare hands!BTW being a mechanic I grabbed a pair of needlenose from the cornwell tool guy for 20 bux.If they ever rust I'll let ya know.

basswipe
08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Save yourself a stack of money.

Joblot stainless pliers rubbed down with this:
http://sentrysolutions.com/MarineTufCloth.shtml
One cloth lasts along time.

Lube the hinge with this:
http://sentrysolutions.com/TufGlidekew.shtml
The little pen lasts forever.

All set.Bye-Bye rust and corrosion.

I'm on my 3rd season with the $18 dollar Shimano pliers(with lanyard).

UserRemoved1
08-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I second the shimano pliers I'm on a 3rd season with them and no lanyard, PB Blaster every few months when they start to feel stiff. And a pair of knipex cutters stowed away in a bag...

steve
08-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Van Staal-- The best--- Second choice-- Accurate

Fishpart
08-11-2007, 02:43 PM
And a pair of knipex cutters stowed away in a bag...

They'll cut any hook I've ever used....I carry a pair of them and a set of Job-Lots 5 years old....