View Full Version : Pike or Stripes

EarnedStripes44
08-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Have any of you guys considered fishing for Pike. I met an Englishman fishing for the carp on the Charles River. He swore on his beer battered dogfish that Pike were more exciting game than striped Bass. I told him his jet lag might have gotten the best of him. What do you guys think. Pike over Stripers? Although I started out freshwater fishing, I never fished for Pike. What do you guys think?

Rick Ackley
08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Want excitement? Fish for stripers using a freshwater stick like you'd be using for pike. Pike fight hard and long, but the tackle is not anywhere near surf stuff. besides, you can eat stripers.

The Dad Fisherman
08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Muskie

Piscator
08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Fished for Pike with a good friend of mine who owns a bunch of land in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. The fishing was great and it was a lot of fun. The pike was smoked and the meat was some of the best fish I've tasted. I would never trade it for Striper Fishing though, but that's just me. Those Northern Pike get very big and very mean though. I guess I'd have tp catch a 45lbs pike before I could compare. World Record Pike was caught in Germany and was a little over 55LBS.

Finaddict
08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Muskie and Pike are cool ... they call the Muskie the fish of a thousand casts ... I fished for the hybrid tiger muskies with a guide on a lake in Northern New Jersey, we might have caught one all day, but it was exciting all the same ... would like to head north up into Canada for some of that action ...

... but always prefer stripers as they can give you more action for your money and when you are perched on a rock out in the water and fighting a nice fish, it's exciting ... to me far more exciting than a pike or muskie ...

Swimmer
08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Muskie
:rotflmao:
Moi?

Backbeach Jake
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
My in-laws and I were on a major Pike kick a few years back, through the ice. Big fun!!

EarnedStripes44
08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Yea, I agree. We hear and see all of the time several 50lb bass taken every year, but a Pike in that range could be a record. Pike generally average in the 10lb category. Nonetheless, a great catch when live minnow fishing for crappie.

fishbones
08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Muskie and Pike are cool ... they call the Muskie the fish of a thousand casts ...

I call the Muskie the Barracuda of fresh water. I caught one on a shiner when I was a kid fishing for largemouth bass in Vermont. I went to take the hook out and saw those teeth. I ended up cutting the line. It was the biggest freshwater fish I ever caught, but I didn't get a chance to weigh it because I just wanted to get it's mouth away from me. A guy fishing next to me was pretty impressed that I caught it and identified it for me.
I gave up all freshwater fishing when I caught my first big Striper. Nothing in fresh water can compare to catching big Stripers, and I just prefer being at the surf or out on the ocean.

Squibby17
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I caught a few pike in my day. Biggest about 10 lbs. Mostly from ice fishing. Comparing it to striper fishing is kinda like apples to oranges. Aesthetically I like fishing on the ocean over a lake. More options and more area to cover. You can't beat the feeling of hooking up with a cow bass at night.

In The Surf
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Want excitement? Fish for stripers using a freshwater stick like you'd be using for pike. Pike fight hard and long, but the tackle is not anywhere near surf stuff. besides, you can eat stripers.
You couldn't be more wrong on both counts.

Fished for Pike with a good friend of mine who owns a bunch of land in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. The fishing was great and it was a lot of fun. The pike was smoked and the meat was some of the best fish I've tasted. I would never trade it for Striper Fishing though, but that's just me. Those Northern Pike get very big and very mean though. I guess I'd have tp catch a 45lbs pike before I could compare. World Record Pike was caught in Germany and was a little over 55LBS.
The fishing there, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Canada is certainly prolific but there's plenty of good pike fishing here locally whether through the ice or rod and reel. Fish over 20#'s aren't that uncommon.

The Dad Fisherman
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Any fishing where you can use Largemouth for bait is OK by me

Pike Eats Bass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiu8wIgdsPk)

Muskie Eats Bass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVcQ53IMJg)

lurch
08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
you want Pike, fish the concord river in Ma and hold on to you rod.

Backbeach Jake
08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
you want Pike, fish the concord river in Ma and hold on to you rod.

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush:

Adam_777
08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I went up into Canada and fished an inlet off lake Eerie.I had fun catching pike they are a good fight.I was a largemouth bass fisherman as a kid so the pikes were fun.Then I came to RI and found out about the stripers.I'm still kinda new to surf fishing going on second season and never caught a monster striper yet but just knowing they are there and I could have one hit is addictive.This year I went freshwater a half dozen times and the fishing was much more productive than the whole season last year and this year put together.If there was pike around here you can bet yer ass I'd be going for them.Unless I somehow found a good spot to catch fishin the ocean.

In The Surf
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=Adam_777;515219]Then I came to RI. If there was pike around here you can bet yer ass I'd be going for them./[QUOTE]
Ah but they are around here.

gadabout
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I love to fish for Northern Pike. One of my favorite freshwater fish. Have to travel quite a bit to get to them so I don't do it often enough. Just pickerel down here, which are similar but not as cool as pike in my book.

SirWinston
08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Speaking as a Brit, definitely stripers. I've landed a 40lb striper on a boat, and a 20 lb from the surf.

That said, I never had the pleasure of fighting a large pike. Big Esox are few and far between. I've heard some stories, though....

By the way, just checked Wikipedia - confirmed what I understood - record weight of 77 lb and 6 ft long. Some of these come from the Scottish/Irish lochs, and I have seen footage of coots and moorhens (waterfowl) being taken out by pike......

lurch
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
There are some nice Pike water in Ma.The Pike are so big that one would think that an alligators were chasing your lures.

BrianS
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I went on a trip 9 years ago to Baie Du Nord. Its basically a 4 hour drive north of Montreal, then another hour by boatplane.

This was the middle of nowhere. This place was really creepy in a few areas...

While the size wasnt huge, we caught dozens of pike 4-6lbs... It was a great time. Id LOVE to go back, but the price has doubled.

http://eatthekitty.com/npcanada.jpg
http://eatthekitty.com/npcanadapike.jpg
http://eatthekitty.com/npcanadasun.jpg

Skitterpop
08-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Stripers hands down for me..... caught a few pike at 48"s and nothing like a battle with a big Striper.

Pike, NorthernSouth Pond
Brookfield
35 lbs 0 oz
Don Greenwood Jr.

Adam_777
08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I've heard story's of them in wordens but never seen that to prove it.

Jenn
08-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I have never caught a pike but I have eaten Pike and they are fabulous. By far the best fish I have ever eaten.....serious. I love lobster but if you gave me a choice of all the lobster I could eat or a little piece of Pike......I would take the Pike.