View Full Version : Barnegat Bay??

"Lou"
08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Anyone from down in Jersey have any suggestions? My girlfriends father invited me down to go out fishing with him (he doesn't fish, mostly water skiing and tubing) so if anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction...

Are there fluke in there? Blues or stripers?? I don't know if his bow-rider will make it out through the inlet.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

"Lou"

MakoMike
08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Its been a loooong time, but I'm pretty sure there are fluke in the bay.

"Lou"
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
I was hoping so, but I was looking at a chart and the water was only about 10 ft. deep in the bay. It kind of reminds me of the Salt Pond in South County, off the Charlestown Breachway just on a much larger scale. Just a little different than fluke fishing in 60-100ft of water off Pt. Judith.

Thanks again,

"Lou"

Ags8th
08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I grew up on the bay in Forked River. Last week their was decent action on blues and fluke, weakies thin.

The bay itself is very shallow (5-7ft) over the majority. Lots of fluke along the channel running N/S near the lighthouse and west along the Sedge Islands. (I'm still getting used to the concept of fluke fishing in 80' up here)

Killies and squid is typical fare down there because of the tidal estuaries.

The inlet is considered the 2nd most hazardous on the east coast. Caution in a small boat. Usually see the CG chasing the smaller guys from fishing the inlet on hairier days.

Still getting stripers from the north jetties across from Barnegat Light on Island Beach.

Save yourself some beach access $$ and anchor in bay at Tices Shoal then walk across island to the ocean for surf.

"Lou"
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow,

Thanks very much for all the help. Are there keeper size fluke inside, I guess it's as weird for me to fish in 5-7 ft. of water as it is for you to fish 80+.

I think we'll be staying clear of the inlet, they tried going out once but turned around due to the conditions. It would have to be pretty nice and flat to try that in a small bow rider.

Any recommendations as to where to find a B&T down there?

Thanks again,

"Lou"

Ags8th
08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
There's a public ramp and a small shop right next to the CG station in Barnegat. There are also some shops as you cross over the causeway onto LBI.

17" minimum this year compared to 19" in Rhody

Good luck:btu:

pmueller
08-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Interesting enough, launches are not easy to come by. The one I used was in the Point Pleasant canal, strictly for smaller boats. Its a dirt ramp.
The bay can be a great place to fish. Especially in the spring. The above posts mentioning those areas around the inlet are good bets.
The inlet itself may be better for fluke this time of year, or just outside. Be careful in and around the inlet. The currents and structure are notoriusly dangerous.
BB is a huge area, you may want to try the jersey board over on the other website. More upto date info.
Best wishes.

Ags8th
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Interesting enough, launches are not easy to come by. The one I used was in the Point Pleasant canal, strictly for smaller boats. Its a dirt ramp.
The bay can be a great place to fish. Especially in the spring. The above posts mentioning those areas around the inlet are good bets.
The inlet itself may be better for fluke this time of year, or just outside. Be careful in and around the inlet. The currents and structure are notoriusly dangerous.
BB is a huge area, you may want to try the jersey board over on the other website. More upto date info.
Best wishes.

That ramp near the bridge in the canal has to be the world's worst ramp!! Soft Sand caught me 10 yrs ago w/ a 13' Whaler ....:rocketem:

The one in the town of Barnegat is good and should run ~ $10