View Full Version : Small kayaks inside Duxbury Bay??

Mako927
08-08-2007, 02:54 AM
As I have been reading more and more about kayak fishing, it has become more and more intriguing to me. It certainly sounds like something I would like to try. I have used kayaks on moderate sized lakes and ponds before with boat activity so I know the feel of it... just haven't fished.

I also don't have the $$$ to go out and buy a new kayak for myself in order to try this.

One of my friends back in MA has two small kayaks and he believes they could be used in Duxbury Bay on a calm day. His plan was to launch them by the Powder Point Bridge. They are 10 foot Pungos by Wilderness Systems. My feeling (and reading I have done) suggests that they are too small to use in the ocean, even in a protected bay like that. His opinion is that they might be a little awkward and less than ideal but still good enough to have some fun and try a little fishing.

I know there are a few on here who fish from kayaks, and I am assuming you use larger ones than these 10 foot pungos. I will admit that when he and I used them in a little chop on Lake Winnipesaukee they seemed to do okay by me. Based on what I have read so far, however, it sounds like you shouldn't even consider going on salt water with anything under 12 feet.

What is the opinion out there? Understanding that a longer kayak would be ideal, is my friend correct that we'd do "okay" in the 10 foot pungo on a clam day or is it an absurd idea, as online reading seems to suggest?

crash
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Understanding that a longer kayak would be ideal, is my friend correct that we'd do "okay" in the 10 foot pungo on a clam day or is it an absurd idea, as online reading seems to suggest?

Not absurd, been out there in a 10'yak myself just screwing around an I was fine and I only kayak a few times a year. You can also fish inshore of the bridge, usually flat in there. Just use your head and don't get killed:)

Piscator
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
A 10' Kayak is fine for that area of Duxbury Bay as long as the wind cooperates. People are out there everyday in 10' Kayaks. Make sure to wear a life jacket and be smart of other boats.

Flynny
08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I bought a 14' Pungo and fished mainly Dux Bay. 10' is definiately very doable, like others have said just watch the wind forecast...anything over 10 MPH, regardless of direction could get uncomfortable. Fishing from a yak is a blast, as you can really get up on top of them when they are blitzing. As you get more experienced, you'll even be able to judge how big the fish is by how much or little the fish pulls the kayak. Hook a striper over 30 inches...hold on:bl:

ridler72
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
It wouldn't hurt to add more flotation to that Pungo. The stern hatch is your current flotation. Not a lot. You may want to secure some additional flotation in the cockpit. (empty tide bottles, Pool noodle etc.)
Purchase a kayak bilge pump. Cost less then 30 bucks. This will allow you to pump water out in the event of a capsize. Practice your self rescues in a protected area. It is not an easy thing to do in a SIK kayak but it must be practiced before venturing out. You may also want to look into a paddle foat to help with a re-entry. I choose the cowboy method for re-entry in a SIK kayak.

The Pungo 100 is a stable fishing platform. Perfect for back water and bay fishing. Great for paddlers under 210lbs. It can be taken out in the nasties but the 10' length is not too productive in chop and swells.

Mako927
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, it looks like I may have been under-estimating them, after all. The comments so far certainly add hope that maybe we can try them out if the weather is calm. I'll be talking with him again tonight and I think we'll see if we can organize a trial outing while I am home. We'll have the PFDs and think we'll have fun no matter what happens with them. I appreciate the suggestions and advice that you have shared so far and any others that may be coming...

Of course, he doesn't have rod holders, so that will make things very tricky... especially if trying to troll anything behind us! :conf:

ilovetwofish
08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I have a 11' sit in i'm 6"4 230# I fish usually 2 nights a week in it very comfortabley, it's alot of fun catching a fish in it the hard part is landing it in the boat.I wouldn't take it out in heavy winds pick you days and nights and pay attention to the weather.I fish south county and have yet to have any problems out there in it surprisingly very stable for a 40# piece if plastic.You can get scotty rod holders under 30 dollars and very easey to mount.