View Full Version : Roccus in the Mist

DZ
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Roccus in the Mist

You could feel it in the air, a sort of heaviness that made even breathing difficult. The atmosphere was saturated with moisture yet it wasn’t raining. An hour before dark it came rolling in pushed by a breeze from the southeast – fog.
For the longest time I despised fog – many a good night I missed because I couldn’t see through a heavy mist because of my eye glasses. Getting fitted with Contact Lenses changed all that and enabled me to fish those nights – contacts are critical for me.
I headed out 30 minutes early as the now pea soup fog hastened the coming of darkness. Briskly hiking my way along the shrouded Cliff Walk I could only “hear” the view through the sound of the wave action. Only a grayish-green appeared toward the water.
Although my sense of sight is hampered, my sense of sound and smell become more enhanced. At my first stop I can hear the bass but not see them. I can also smell the overpowering acrid odor of rotting piles of red weed which have been baked in the 90 degree temps of the last week. The odor permeates the fog making it seem like I’m breathing in “liquid weed.”
It’s very still and quiet as I take my first cast. I “hear” the needle hit the water – then start my retrieve. I “feel” the SS Needle glide back towards my perch. Then I “hear the take” a split second before I feel it. When I set I hear the resultant explosion that temporarily ends the silence. A minute later Roccus swims away – and once again all is silent in the mist. God I love surfcasting.

DZ

teezer
08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Great story. I had one similar last night. The fog rolled in fast and thick as a friend and I were fluke fishing. While I'm not a fluker so I say lets through into the rocks. We could barely see a nice sized bass clear the water as it struck a topwater. He missed it but audio was great.

luds
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks DZ.

Finaddict
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
...yes thank you ... it was inspiring

Rick Ackley
08-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Had a nite like that a few weeks ago on the breachway at Weekapaug. Sort of spooky when you can't see much past your rod tip. Cast, listen for the splash, hear the needle slipping thru the suds. Caught nothing, but it was worth it. Great report. Thanks.