View Full Version : Which Hooks for Live Pogies???

nightfighter
08-14-2007, 05:37 AM
The pogies I'm snagging and netting for livelining are pretty big, 10" and up on average. Last night, I had one get hit, let drag scream for a four count , and then set the hook. Nothing but two LARGE scales on the hook when retrieved....... I did land on other pogie, but want to improve on technique/set up
I am hooking laterally just forward of dorsal fin, using a short shank barbed hook. What hooks do you use for livelining? And where are you hooking the pogies? Just want to compare notes. Thanks

BigBo
08-14-2007, 05:49 AM
I like to use 4/0 trebles.

NIB
08-14-2007, 05:51 AM
9/0 gami octupus hook.

nightfighter
08-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks guys!

Found this too;

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=41473&highlight=livelining

gonna try through the nostrils

NIB
08-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Hook em in the front if ur usin lead like a egg sinker to get em down.
Hook em just ahead of the dorsal for some control.It helps to make em swim out.Some will hook em behind the dorsal to make em swim away but you don't really need that with bunker they swim hard.Just keep slight pressure on the line an they will swim against it.Hook em about a inch in front of the dorsal for better control.U can flip em to make em turn with the hook more forward.Use line tension to make em go where they don't want to..
The treble works good for a fast hookset.Give em maybe 3-5 seconds an let em have it..

daceman63
08-14-2007, 06:35 AM
not totally related to this topic but you guys might know....

I heard you can no longer snag pogies with a treble to catch them....is this true? My b-in-law says we still can and I don't let him because I'm not sure so I play it safe....

anyone know?

fishaholic18
08-14-2007, 06:47 AM
3/0 or 4/0 treble in the nostril.:btu:

jettyjockey18
08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
eagle claw L774 size 2 4X bronze treble in the nostril...

BasicPatrick
08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I just discovered the Big river Bait Hooks from Gammi and damn they look nice. I hear Crazy Al is pushing them. will report on their effectiveness after this coming weekend:hee:

nightfighter
09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Going to rig up a double set up, with a treble on the tail, and a single hook just before the dorsal for control. Had a ton of fish following, but I guess they were too small for the big pogies.....I was going for large.... had three takes, did a seven count, and set..... Got the pogie back on two, empty hook on the other. Frustrating. Great day out there anyway. Lots of blues on top. Lots of sun, I'm fried. Back at it tomorrow, after rigging up tonight!

tattoobob
09-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Ross let the Bass run with your bait wait till she stops then start to move again, when the fish stops she is turning it and swallowing
set when she moves 7 seconds is way to short. sounds like your ripping the pogie right out of the Basses mouth.

I hook them thru the skull top of the eye sockets with a 7/0 octopus circle hook. or pin there mouth shut with a treble 4/0 vmc

blue oyster
09-02-2007, 07:50 PM
i use a single 8/0 gamo circle through the nose when targeting striped bass , the tough part is the pogies i have been snagging are huge 16" and two pounds each , i bet i would have banged the smaller fish today real good today if i chunked bait , got run at 12-15 times and watched as stripers 24-34" chased the bait around the boat , but my goal was big fish or bust and today i busted

NIB
09-03-2007, 03:35 AM
A 12 lb bass can eat one of them baits if it wants to.
i would bet this was middle of the day.I have found first light is the best time to liveline.As the sun gets higher they seem to like to play with em more.
Sometimes it helps to take some of the juice out of em.
Sometimes they just wanna play with em.
If ur baits are ultra lively.(just caught).An they are chasing an not catching em.I would start with a High toss.U need a stout rod for this.Throw that SOB as High as u can.It will slap to the surface an get stunned for a few seconds.
I call this the dinner bell...I have had em take it as quick as the second it hits the water.Best is as soon as it comes to...If they still can't catch em I will also drop em on the rocks a few times.
U can basically tell on the take the size of the fish.Big fish Line rippin of the spool smaller fish Not as fast..
U can adjust ur Count that way.U can hit a good fish pretty quick as it goes down fairly easy..Then again If it's big I really let em go.Fightin em from the inside out takes alot of steam out of em.
One other thing, Don't be fooled to think by chunking ur gonna catch small ones only.Take a fresh an cut it back by the tail just where the stomach cavity ends.U want the juice flowing..Basically 3/4's of a bait.Some like to run the knife up into em so to take the air out..Small a weight as u can,or no weight. let it get to the bottom..Catch em first worry about size after that..
Small on top large on the bottom...