View Full Version : Great trip in Maine

JoeBass
08-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Spent the past 2 weeks in southern Maine. Fished for stripers from the beach (plugs and chunk and clams), from a boat in a river and the ocean, and with fly rods in a tidal river. Caught fish all 3 ways and had a blast. Best fish from beach was a 40" caught by my buddy on clams, but lots of slot fish. Mostly from 4am to 7am, but also on rainy days, all day. My son caught a 20" on the fly rod and was so happy. I broke off some monsters under a wharf with chunk herring. I was using 20 lb test and it was no match for the pilings and barnacles. Will braid withstand that? What lb. test?
One morning massive schools of Bunker (really not sure what they were by looking at them) were pinned up against the beach by big blues. A sight to see. One guy grabbed a bunker, threw it out on a hook and landed a 28" blue. So much fun. LOVE MAINE (and the clamarama at the Maine diner).

JohnR
08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a nice trip - I miss Maine - gotta get back up there :wall:

niko
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
sounds like a fun trip. real heavy braid will hold up a bit but heavier mono will hold up better 40 or 50 and just plan on cutting it back alot.

tattoobob
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I bet a longer leader with 50 pound mono would be your best bet, I use that with 65# power pro works great for me.

Thanks for the report, Maine's coast is awesome

EarnedStripes44
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
maine is love....clean water