08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
so sad too bad

but i`m glad :kewl:

EarnedStripes44
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
surfers beware

Tagger
08-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Sharks are everywhere.. They are being baited in with the humungus seal population ... All Cape Cod beaches should be closed now !! Public safety issue..:poke:

Rockport24
08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
woman in my office is going to MV next week with her family and she is now paranoid! I told her to stay away from seals!

afterhours
08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
it's only a matter of time before a swimmer, a surfer, or God forbid- a fisherman gets whacked.

ridler72
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
:uhuh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C211iJ9XnKk&mode=related&search=

numbskull
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
it's only a matter of time before a swimmer, a surfer, or God forbid- a fisherman gets whacked.

Yeah, God forbid! If it is Slip that gets taken the dammn shark won't need to eat another seal for years.

Slipknot
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, God forbid! If it is Slip that gets taken the dammn shark won't need to eat another seal for years.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :eyes: :conf: :hee:

If one grabbed me , I'll tell you I'd put up a helluva fight and if I could find it's eyes they'd be poked out in a second, I'd rip the eye right out of his head, I think he'd let me go then, but if in the event I become food :( I better get prepared and lose some weight so I don't offset any seals that might be food:as:
One of these days I'll be seen for the last time on the beach by running in the water after a seal chasing him, if I don't come back, take care of my family please :fishslap:

I hope more seal carcasses wash up, maybe the feds will get the message about the overpopulation of grey seals.

MAC
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I hope more seal carcasses wash up, maybe the feds will get the message about the overpopulation of grey seals.

They won't do anything. Their hands are tied with the marine mammal protection act.

You ought to see what the sea lions are doing to the docks in San Francisco bay. Not to mention what they are doing to some of those high dollar boats.

Flaptail
08-15-2007, 07:32 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :eyes: :conf: :hee:

If one grabbed me , I'll tell you I'd put up a helluva fight and if I could find it's eyes they'd be poked out in a second, I'd rip the eye right out of his head, I think he'd let me go then, but if in the event I become food :( I better get prepared and lose some weight so I don't offset any seals that might be food:as:
One of these days I'll be seen for the last time on the beach by running in the water after a seal chasing him, if I don't come back, take care of my family please :fishslap:

Sharks work on the sensing of electrical impulses set off by living things. Everything's bodies are controlled by the brain responding to stimulae which in turn creates the electrical signal that controls the reaction of the body to the stimulae. All sharks ( and a lot of fishes such as Pike, Muskies etc.) have little openings like large pores around thier lower jaw and on sharks the end of thier noses called the "Ampulae of Lorenzini", it has been found that by putting your hand directly onto the nose of an attacking or approaching shark you can actually stun them by creating a block to the recepetion of these signals which in turn wreaks havoc on thier own bodies electrical system. Whwn sharks are in the final stage of attack they have protective lids that close over thier eyes, the Ampulae of Lorenzini are what leads the shark in the final lunge to it's intended victim.

Of course you have to be a very cool customer in a situation like that to remember and carry out that move. I was buzzed by an 8 foot blue shark while wading in Barnstable with George Ryan, a guide from the Orvis shop in Harwich on Columbus Day 1998, 9 inthe morning under a clear blue sky and boats all over the channel we had wlaked out from Bone Hill Rd. George saw him first as he came over the edge of the bar from green water to me in three feet of water. He came right at me and just as he was about a foot away rolled over on his side and looked up at me with his big black eye and whacked me with his tail. All I had was an 8 wt fly rod in hand. I wasn't scared I was shocked and just stood there silently disbelieving what I was seeing. I thought he was going to try a bite as his mouth was wide open. He disappeared over the edge and came up 30 yards away chasing school bass right out of the water.

That was my 3rd incident with a shark in my fishing career while wading.

flyben24
08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
woman in my office is going to MV next week with her family and she is now paranoid! I told her to stay away from seals!:hihi: yea my spot over here on the island is just loaded with gray seals in the mornin when i go fishing....... ill keep my eyes out for one of em to go flyin:hf1:

justplugit
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
That was my 3rd incident with a shark in my fishing career while wading.

Flap, what were the other two?

Gary
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Whats the score now Sharks 3 Seals 0 ???:rotflmao:

Mike P
08-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Whats the score now Sharks 3 Seals 0 ???:rotflmao:

Um, yeah, that's the "reported" score.

I'll betcha the actual score's a lot more lopsided in the Sharks' favor :humpty:

fishpoopoo
08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
u can also pacify a smaller shark by flipping it over on its back. i recently tried it with smooth dogfish (be careful handling the spiny ones) and it works.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_immobility

Tonic immobility is a natural state of paralysis that animals enter, in most cases when presented with a threat.

Sharks can be placed in a tonic immobility state by turning them upside down. The shark remains in this state of paralysis for an average of fifteen minutes before it recovers. Scientists have exploited this phenomenon to study shark behaviour.