View Full Version : Disturbing sight yesterday

Raider Ronnie
08-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Yesterday,
Leo, t.orlando, and I go out early in Boston harbor.
Leo fights 1 ok fish early in the day, then later after gassing up/eating some breakfast and the tide changed I head to a spot, we make 1 pass and Tony gets another ok fish.
Then we start to watch this very large lobster/charter boat who was anchored up and chunking up in front of us.
Every time we looked over, this guy had fish on, doubled and tripled up lots of times.
At 1st I kept thinking, wow this guy is hammering fish :shocked:
Nowthere are 4 guys on the charter plus the capt. (5 total)
We kept watching as we were trolling near him and fish kept coming and coming into his boat.
But what was disturbing, every fish they caught was gaffed (killed) by the capt.
This capt had to have caught a commercial limit (30 fish) in less than 2 hrs.
Problems are, commercial season ended last week and there were only 5 guys on the boat!
Then we watch the capt call over a few other boats and hand off fish, 4 fish to 1 boat , 2 to another. ect...
We get closer because now we are pissed because he's breaking the law, and for me killing, dozens of fish from a spot that I fish!
I'm looking in the boat for my camera, but thought I left it in my truck as we had thoughts of calling the green police!
We go over and get very close to get the name on the boat and/or doc #s.
I start a conversation with the capt asking if he was a charter boat, the name of his charters, boat name, where he keeps the boat, ect...
They ask us if we wanted some fish, we say no.
As I'm driving slowly away, we watch them dump fish (dead that they had gaffed) off the open transom back into the water! :wall:
I got most the info from the boat and info off the boats that took the fish.
I'm mulling it over to call the environmental police or not, but without proof and them not being caught in the act, it will most likely be a waste of time, not to mention me being a charter boat in Boston also
could cause me some backlash !
Turns out, my digital camera was in a small cooler we had instead of my carry on bag that was in my truck.

MAC
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I'd turn them over. Absolutely no excuse for what they did.:gorez:

Karl F
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I hear you Ronnie, you gotta watch your back on your business and your boat.. And you got no pics...

But.. What is Right?.........Don't know you, but you sound like a real upright guy in your posts...you don't allow cussing in front of your kids, etc.. Don't turn a blind eye to these violations either, was one of your boys with you?.. what did he say?..

Like Mac said.. Make the Call... I bet the guy you look at in the mirror is telling you the same thing.

Slipknot
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :devil: :af: :af: :af: :lossinit:

You HAVE to tell someone, don't think it's the only time this #^&#^&#^&#^&wad did this, if he keeps that up , your hole will be history and lots of dead bass needlessly.

Ronnie, that was a lot more than disturbing. dumping dead bass overboard? :shocked: :smash: did you go over to him and give him hell after you saw that? I know I would have.

Uncle Matt
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd make a report so there was a record of this incident. Who knows, maybe this guy has been reported before. No offense Ron, but by not reporting this captain this allows him to continue to keep doing it. So the problem only gets worse. Plus, I think your conscious will be bothering you until you make a decision. It's obviously bothering you because you posted it here. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing to due. But it speaks volumes of the person.

stripersnipr
08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a friend who's an EPO. PM the info to me and I'll make sure it get's where it needs to go.

riverrat55
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
REPORT THAT SOB!!!!!!!!!

Swimmer
08-21-2007, 10:59 AM
If the violation was that blatant and public the captain doesn't give a chit, so why should you. Very selfish/illegal act by a very selfish person.

nightfighter
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
F him!! Give me the info. I'll take it from there...... You'll be invisible.

chris L
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
make the call . if you dont you wont be any better than him . you made the move to get the boat name etc , complete the task and call the epo . even if there isnt anything they can do now , they will atleast know that this captain dont play fair . and maybe they will keep an eye out .

Rockport24
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
he'll be out there again no doubt, go out there and catch him in the act this time....bring a video camera

saltfly
08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
pass on the info. the fish cops can make a case in the future.you are still a witness to all the activity that transpired.

MarshCappa
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow, what an A-Hole. I'd make the report.

wrench
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
This wouldn't happen to be a certain lobster/charter fishing boat seen very frequently on the TV show "On the Hook" fishing for cod,would it?

Mike

UserRemoved1
08-29-2007, 03:22 PM
The fisherman page 20r has a nice writeup on this today...

afterhours
08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
make the call ronnie- pos' like him should be busted- hard.

Raider Ronnie
08-29-2007, 04:29 PM
This wouldn't happen to be a certain lobster/charter fishing boat seen very frequently on the TV show "On the Hook" fishing for cod,would it?

Mike

No it was not, but the boat is docked on the same dock in South Boston.
The calls were made a while ago,
and the info was passes on to a few friends who are friendly with the authorities,
Though I have not seen this weeks Fisherman, 1 who I contacted, most likely wrote that article in the fisherman Salty mentioned.

UserRemoved1
08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Chuck Casella

Backbeach Jake
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Those who abuse their positions should be taken down like a rock through a cobweb. Charter Captains who cheat, hedge or tweek the rules, IMHO are far worse than Joe Dirt keeping shorts. Drop the hammer.

Raven
08-29-2007, 05:05 PM
not sure why the camera got into a cool-ah
but maybe a new plan for evidence gathering is
in order..or one camera that stays on the boat
in a locked box or whatever so you can take
pictures of what you just saw...

i wouldn't be surprised if he was using short
lobster tails on those bass...

and i'm glad you called because it sounded more
like raping and pilaging than fishing...

this guy isn't gonna go "ANGEL" tonight and change
his ways.... SO time for a reality check... :uhuh: